Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11

    Another Czar in the UK - CTD shock query

    Built up my large black Czar and loving it; coming from a Jet 9 RDO and couldn't be happier. Much better attention to detail in construction, stiffer rear end / linkages and a lot stiffer bottom bracket. It's a bit heavier at 5.7lb but absolutely worth it for the additional strength and I would expect it will be very durable but time will tell. Cant detect any difference between climb and trail on the shock when carrying out crude bounce test; assumed it should be noticeable? I know DW link requires little low speed compression but would guess there should be some difference between settings, shock may be dodgy. Also any recommendations on max seat clamp torque? Another Czar in the UK - CTD shock query-imag0140.jpg

  2. #2
    Wicketed
    Reputation: swan lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    437
    Nice looking bike.

    It may just be that the DW link smothers the need for the low speed compression damping of the trail and descend modes so much the difference isn't vast. I'm not sure, as my last dw bike had an RP23, but I couldn't feel much difference on the stiffer settings of that shock either.

    I'd probably just leave it in D mode for offroad, and but it right into C for tarmac and fire roads.

    It that 5.7lb for a large, with rear axle included, by the way?
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Thanks. The weight was without rear axle and seat collar. It shouldn't be taken as fact as it was my best effort at weighing; balanced on a set of accurate digital scales.

    It's the first time I have ridden a DW link bike and I'm very impressed how active it remains whilst not reacting negatively to pedalling. Compared to the (very good) CVA it looses nothing in pedalling efficiency but provides much more compliance. I haven't felt at all compromised by leaving it the Trail setting for 99% of riding.

    Still not sure this shock is working correctly though as changing from Trail to Climb seems to make zero difference to the shocks low speed comp. If anything it seems make mid speed comp slightly firmer. Trying to establish if this is due to the specified valving or fault. Only scenario I would want this is on Tarmac and standing...its not that important. shame I don't have a damper dyno to find out what its doing.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    106
    Nice to see another Czar in the UK - I'll looking forward to my large frame test ride in a few weeks time.
    Can I ask how tall you are & how you find the large frame? What stem are you running & what fork travel?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie View Post
    Nice to see another Czar in the UK - I'll looking forward to my large frame test ride in a few weeks time.
    Can I ask how tall you are & how you find the large frame? What stem are you running & what fork travel?
    I'm 5'11" and it fits perfectly for me, stem is Easton EA90 90mm 0, no spacers under it and Easton EC70 flat / wide bars. Feels very well balanced front / rear and very nimble for what is physically a large bike. Fork is 100mm with the standard offset 44mm with 501 A2C. Crank 175mm. 200mm of post out of frame.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    106
    Excellent - 5'11" too, & hoping to transfer my Easton EC70 Flat bar, 90x0 Thomson, & SID XX 100mm forks over from my Niner Air 9 Carbon, should I purchase a frame.

    Did you get a good deal?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie View Post
    Excellent - 5'11" too, & hoping to transfer my Easton EC70 Flat bar, 90x0 Thomson, & SID XX 100mm forks over from my Niner Air 9 Carbon, should I purchase a frame.

    Did you get a good deal?
    I got a bit of a deal.., not too exciting or as much as offered on other brands..If you PM or e-mail me I will let you know where I got it from, they asked to remain anon.

    I'm sure you wont be disappointed; I couldn't be happier with mine and I had to wait quite some time and they're not cheap!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,317
    I like my C setting firmer for racing, and Fox did that for me for next to nothing, and PUSH has also done it in the past.

    I know you're in the UK, which makes sending the shock to Fox pretty undesirable, but as I understand the procedure, it's a really simple spring change in the shock, so maybe there is a suspension place over there that could make that little mod for you (or just wait for the first regular servicing of the shock).

    Honestly, I think the need for a stiffer C is probably mostly in my head, but deep into an endurance race, perception matters nearly as much as reality. For general trail riding, C is now stiff enough that I never use it.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I like my C setting firmer for racing, and Fox did that for me for next to nothing, and PUSH has also done it in the past.

    I know you're in the UK, which makes sending the shock to Fox pretty undesirable, but as I understand the procedure, it's a really simple spring change in the shock, so maybe there is a suspension place over there that could make that little mod for you (or just wait for the first regular servicing of the shock).

    Honestly, I think the need for a stiffer C is probably mostly in my head, but deep into an endurance race, perception matters nearly as much as reality. For general trail riding, C is now stiff enough that I never use it.
    Thanks Kosmo, I think your right about the desire for a stiffer c being in the head. Mojo the UK service centre for Fox suggested it's working ok if changes between D and T are noticeable. They advised they can tweek the shim stack when in for service, will try it when it's due a service.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    106
    Mailed you.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    174

    Re: Another Czar in the UK - CTD shock query

    Hi, based in UK too. Hope you're enjoying the czar. There should be a noticeable difference between trail and climb. On the trail setting do you have it set on 1 2 or 3 ?

    Nice you got black one floats. Fox only show white ones on the web.

    Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rone View Post
    Hi, based in UK too. Hope you're enjoying the czar. There should be a noticeable difference between trail and climb. On the trail setting do you have it set on 1 2 or 3 ?

    Nice you got black one floats. Fox only show white ones on the web.

    Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2
    Good to hear a few are in the UK. Yes its great; need more time to ride it before the weather turns!

    Thought their should be some difference! Its the fork that got me wondering as its the 2014 model with the re tuned CTD setings. Climb on the fork is not a lock out but its a lot firmer than the Trail and very noticeable; perfect on smooth paths / road.

    With the fork in Climb and the shock in Climb it leaves the rear out of balance with the front as the rear remains quite active - active over bumps and to rider movement but not to pedal input. Sounds like the shock may not be quite right. I am running it in setting 2 in Trail.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by hisense View Post
    Good to hear a few are in the UK. Yes its great; need more time to ride it before the weather turns!

    Thought their should be some difference! Its the fork that got me wondering as its the 2014 model with the re tuned CTD setings. Climb on the fork is not a lock out but its a lot firmer than the Trail and very noticeable; perfect on smooth paths / road.

    With the fork in Climb and the shock in Climb it leaves the rear out of balance with the front as the rear remains quite active - active over bumps and to rider movement but not to pedal input. Sounds like the shock may not be quite right. I am running it in setting 2 in Trail.
    Now that's really interesting, I have 2013 fork and it's like a sponge ... going to get the 2014 cartridge upgrade. So mine is the opposite. Fork to soggy.

    I think the rear is always going to be a bit more active, as you've got the weight on it.

    Try the third setting in the trail mode? I'm very rarely using the climb mode, certainly on the rear.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Update on shock issue; it looks like I wasn't running with enough air pressure as setting sag to 8mm but this was misleading with the relatively high stiction in the new pivot bushes. Now I have more miles on the frame I'm finding the pressure required to give the 8mm is 15psi higher and it feels a lot better in climb.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,317
    Quote Originally Posted by hisense View Post
    Update on shock issue; it looks like I wasn't running with enough air pressure as setting sag to 8mm but this was misleading with the relatively high stiction in the new pivot bushes. Now I have more miles on the frame I'm finding the pressure required to give the 8mm is 15psi higher and it feels a lot better in climb.
    Agreed. Even for casual trail riding, I don't set sag beyond 11 mm. However (and apparently unlike others) when I do that, the only way I get full travel is by first removing the volume reducer from the shock.

    That has been working well for me for about two months, now: 11 mm sag, full travel on most rides, and crisp pedaling.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Similar Threads

  1. Bike Fit query for MTB
    By sanjayc in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 02:10 AM
  2. Giant 27.5 technology query
    By lucifuge in forum Giant
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM
  3. "DU" bushing / shock mount query
    By ferday in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
  4. Power Tap Query.
    By Betamaxstan in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
  5. Lockout Query For SS
    By OverTheHill in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •