lurker extraordinaire

Another 2008 Spot

Here's my new ride. I can't say enough good things about the bike, as I'm sure most Turner owners probably feel about their own bikes. I have it built kind of heavy for a Spot (I think) at around 32lbs. This is "unofficial" since I don't have a scale that I'm entirely confident in, and the only scale that I do have is a scale for weighing people. I weighed myself, then weighed myself with the bike to come up with 32lbs.

I have been riding an 08 Giant Reign X for about 8 months, so this was a bit of a different kind of ride for me. I purchased the 5 Spot having never ridden one, or any other model Turner for that matter. However, after reading a ton of glowing reviews on the frame, speaking to other 5 Spot owners, and taking Turner's legendary customer service into consideration, I felt that I just had to take a chance and take advantage of the current price on the 2008 5 Spots (mine came with a 2009 shock, which I don't know if there's much of a difference between the 08 and 09 RP23, but that was kind of cool).

I want to give a full ride review here, but I feel like I would just be rehashing what everyone else who owns, or has ridden, a Turner has said a million times. If I could think of anything even remotely negative to say about the ride it would just be that, coming from a coil shock, the air shock obviously doesn't feel as plush - and that has nothing to do with the frame itself. I was a bit worried about only having 5.5" of rear travel but after 3 rides, all of which have been on rocky, technical terrain (I live in Arizona), I have yet to bottom it out. The bike has just been an absolute pleasure to ride. Even at 32lbs, it is a fantastic climber, and just an all-around great ride.

Another thing was that I was coming off a small frame, which was probably a size too small for me at 5'8", and the Spot is a medium. While I believed this was a better size for me, I wondered how it would feel since I had grown accustomed to feeling pretty nimble, and like I could easily throw my bike around. I admit that I have not ridden a ton of different bikes, but I felt like the 5 Spot is amazing in this area as well. Everything just feels so tight and stiff. It felt every bit as nimble, in fact more so, than what I have been riding.

As if it isn't obvious, after only 3 rides, I love the bike. I believe that I have found "the one" bike for me. I can see owning other bikes for more specific types of riding (i.e., a dedicated DH bike, etc.) but, as for now, I'm in no hurry to run out and look for anything new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice lookin ride, congrats!

mtbr member
    It will be hard to go to another bran now! You are hooked for life.
    Too wet to ride!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Nice. I ran into you at the waterfall yesterday and we talked about our Spots. I built mine in July and have been digging it too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice ride and great color.

Moosehead
    OP, take the time to dial in your rp23 and play around with various sag/rebound/pp settings. A search here and in the suspension forum will help. You'll be surprised how much better the airs have gotten, and you'll be able to get closer to the coil feel with some tinkering. Some don't care for pp, but if you're climbing to get to the downs, then try 25%+ sag to get plush, with mixture of pp sampling to get the ascents dialed. Many ride the heck out of their rear shock and then Push it the next season to get more customized plush/performance. Enjoy the new rig.