Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  moosehead 
#1 ·
It was the first innaugural ride on The General Lee. Met up with Jim, Andy and Jim's brother Bill for an early morning ride on Mount Diablo.

They didn't tell me what we were doing - but it ended up being big. 32 miles and 5,500 in climbing.

We hit lots of lesser known sections of trail and had a great time. Once we got above the clouds and fog, it wasn't that cold. On the decent home though, we froze.

Stopped at the old farm house at the bottom of Curry Canyon to take some glamor shots of The General Lee.

Thanks to JNC for the decals!:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
iheartbicycles said:
It was the first innaugural ride on The General Lee. Met up with Jim, Andy and Jim's brother Bill for an early morning ride on Mount Diablo.

They didn't tell me what we were doing - but it ended up being big. 32 miles and 5,500 in climbing.

We hit lots of lesser known sections of trail and had a great time. Once we got above the clouds and fog, it was that cold. On the decent home though, we froze.

Stopped at the old farm house at the bottom of Curry Canyon to take some glamor shots of The General Lee.

Thanks to JNC for the decals!:thumbsup:
The General, and a few more pics

Attachments

#4 ·
Silentfoe said:
Cool ride pix! Now the next time I am in that area (3x a year) I know who to call for a ride. My only issue with Mt. Diablo is all the cattle and the resulting hoof prints fossilized in the dirt.
Usually this time of year Mount Diablo is a mess due to all the rain, compounded by the cattle - it turns into ankle deep goo. But it's been dry thus far. Instead of the cow tracks being a problem, it's the wild boar. They tore up everything. We saw one yesterday just off the side of the trail...

#7 ·
Jayem said:
Is the Mt Diablo singletrack illegal?
There's a few legal trails - you just have to work to get there. The Curry Canyon trail that ends at the old farm house is legal. There's other's we rode that I don't know the names of that are recently made legal (somewhere near Burma trail).

#11 ·
General Lee bikes should be photographed flying through the air over a barn and then landing with lots of parts flying off on landing.

The next photo would have a brand new General Lee hauling down the singletrack apparently unharmed from the air time:)

#19 ·
moosehead said:
Iheart, would be interested to hear your dwl ride report now that she looks to be broken in. You seem to have had more than your fair share of great bikes in the stable. Thumbsup to the General Lee.
Thanks Moose.

I really dig the DW Flux. This bike is my XC/trail bike. I generally have bikes in my stable for different categories. This bike replaces my Ventana El Saltamontes, which replaced an Intense Tracer which replaced a GT idrive, etc.

When comparing the DW Flux to the others, I am super impressed and very happy. The bike climbs so well. You can wail away on the bike, standing pedalling, standing sprinting, seated pedalling, seated hammering, it just freeking goes. No or minimal bob.

But this is not at all at the expence of DH capabilities. The bike runs super low compression damping and has a nice, flat spring curve - so it uses its travel nicely, remaining plush and playfull.

I really wanted a bike that could be a good solid trail bike, but light enough and efficient enough to race XC. I'd say this bike is it.

With my current build the bike is right at 25 pounds. With a little different tire selection, I can easily get it down to 24.5#'s. This is in a size XL, with a very solid build that can be used day in, day out.

I am running a 120 mil fork to add some plushness and slacken the angles just a bit - but have also inverted my stem to lower the bars for climbing. Currently I have a 2.3" Weirwolf in the front and a 2.1 Prowler in the back. This combo provides some good versatility for all around trail riding.

For this category - short travel trail/XC the Flux is terrific. I look forward to trying the new RFX and comparing it to my current Foes FXR to fit the 6" travel all 'round category.:thumbsup:

#20 ·
iheartbicycles said:
Thanks Moose.

I really dig the DW Flux. This bike is my XC/trail bike. I generally have bikes in my stable for different categories. This bike replaces my Ventana El Saltamontes, which replaced an Intense Tracer which replaced a GT idrive, etc.

When comparing the DW Flux to the others, I am super impressed and very happy. The bike climbs so well. You can wail away on the bike, standing pedalling, standing sprinting, seated pedalling, seated hammering, it just freeking goes. No or minimal bob.

But this is not at all at the expence of DH capabilities. The bike runs super low compression damping and has a nice, flat spring curve - so it uses its travel nicely, remaining plush and playfull.

I really wanted a bike that could be a good solid trail bike, but light enough and efficient enough to race XC. I'd say this bike is it.

With my current build the bike is right at 25 pounds. With a little different tire selection, I can easily get it down to 24.5#'s. This is in a size XL, with a very solid build that can be used day in, day out.

I am running a 120 mil fork to add some plushness and slacken the angles just a bit - but have also inverted my stem to lower the bars for climbing. Currently I have a 2.3" Weirwolf in the front and a 2.1 Prowler in the back. This combo provides some good versatility for all around trail riding.

For this category - short travel trail/XC the Flux is terrific. I look forward to trying the new RFX and comparing it to my current Foes FXR to fit the 6" travel all 'round category.:thumbsup:
Yea, but you somehow missed the best feature of the modern classic GL:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.