Crazed Country Rebel

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)

It was the first innaugural ride on The General Lee. Met up with Jim, Andy and Jim's brother Bill for an early morning ride on Mount Diablo.

They didn't tell me what we were doing - but it ended up being big. 32 miles and 5,500 in climbing.

We hit lots of lesser known sections of trail and had a great time. Once we got above the clouds and fog, it wasn't that cold. On the decent home though, we froze.

Stopped at the old farm house at the bottom of Curry Canyon to take some glamor shots of The General Lee.

Thanks to JNC for the decals!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-jim-andy-bill-shell-ridge.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-jim-wall-point.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-jim-n-andy-wall-point.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-andy-n-jim-wall-point2.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-andy-rocks-hidden-trail.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-andy-rock-slab-hidden-trail.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-chuck-rocks-hidden-trail.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-general-lee-farmhouse.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-chuck-rock-slab-hidden-trail.jpg  

Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    It was the first innaugural ride on The General Lee. Met up with Jim, Andy and Jim's brother Bill for an early morning ride on Mount Diablo.

They didn't tell me what we were doing - but it ended up being big. 32 miles and 5,500 in climbing.

We hit lots of lesser known sections of trail and had a great time. Once we got above the clouds and fog, it was that cold. On the decent home though, we froze.

Stopped at the old farm house at the bottom of Curry Canyon to take some glamor shots of The General Lee.

Thanks to JNC for the decals!
    The General, and a few more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-general-lee-close-up.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-general-lee-farmhouse-close-up.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-andy-curry-canyon-singletrack.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-jim-curry-canyon-singltrack.jpg  

Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-jim-climbing-out-curry-cnyn.jpg  

Last edited by iheartbicycles; 01-10-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Specialized sucks dong

Your Best Friend
    Cool ride pix! Now the next time I am in that area (3x a year) I know who to call for a ride. My only issue with Mt. Diablo is all the cattle and the resulting hoof prints fossilized in the dirt.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    Cool ride pix! Now the next time I am in that area (3x a year) I know who to call for a ride. My only issue with Mt. Diablo is all the cattle and the resulting hoof prints fossilized in the dirt.
    Usually this time of year Mount Diablo is a mess due to all the rain, compounded by the cattle - it turns into ankle deep goo. But it's been dry thus far. Instead of the cow tracks being a problem, it's the wild boar. They tore up everything. We saw one yesterday just off the side of the trail...

Specialized sucks dong

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is the Mt Diablo singletrack illegal?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice pics, iheartbicycles!

The General is looking good!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Is the Mt Diablo singletrack illegal?
    There's a few legal trails - you just have to work to get there. The Curry Canyon trail that ends at the old farm house is legal. There's other's we rode that I don't know the names of that are recently made legal (somewhere near Burma trail).

Specialized sucks dong

My cup runneth over
    Great pics. Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    xl spot?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Looks good. I'll be in the East Bay Mid-Feb and might bring the bike.

Powered by ice cream.
    General Lee bikes should be photographed flying through the air over a barn and then landing with lots of parts flying off on landing.

The next photo would have a brand new General Lee hauling down the singletrack apparently unharmed from the air time
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Nice ride and shots! Ive never rolled the log crossing yet, good job! I love that Singletrack into Oyster!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by greenchris
    xl spot?
    Nope. Big ass Flux!

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    Nice ride and shots! Ive never rolled the log crossing yet, good job! I love that Singletrack into Oyster!
    The logs are no mas. It's a bed of rocks now.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Iheart, you left your bag here today!
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Iheart, you left your bag here today!
    my cycling bag? Oops. Looks like we'll be riding again, soon!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Nice pics I look forward to the 2nd inaugural ride.

Moosehead
    Iheart, would be interested to hear your dwl ride report now that she looks to be broken in. You seem to have had more than your fair share of great bikes in the stable. Thumbsup to the General Lee.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Iheart, would be interested to hear your dwl ride report now that she looks to be broken in. You seem to have had more than your fair share of great bikes in the stable. Thumbsup to the General Lee.
    Thanks Moose.

I really dig the DW Flux. This bike is my XC/trail bike. I generally have bikes in my stable for different categories. This bike replaces my Ventana El Saltamontes, which replaced an Intense Tracer which replaced a GT idrive, etc.

When comparing the DW Flux to the others, I am super impressed and very happy. The bike climbs so well. You can wail away on the bike, standing pedalling, standing sprinting, seated pedalling, seated hammering, it just freeking goes. No or minimal bob.

But this is not at all at the expence of DH capabilities. The bike runs super low compression damping and has a nice, flat spring curve - so it uses its travel nicely, remaining plush and playfull.

I really wanted a bike that could be a good solid trail bike, but light enough and efficient enough to race XC. I'd say this bike is it.

With my current build the bike is right at 25 pounds. With a little different tire selection, I can easily get it down to 24.5#'s. This is in a size XL, with a very solid build that can be used day in, day out.

I am running a 120 mil fork to add some plushness and slacken the angles just a bit - but have also inverted my stem to lower the bars for climbing. Currently I have a 2.3" Weirwolf in the front and a 2.1 Prowler in the back. This combo provides some good versatility for all around trail riding.

For this category - short travel trail/XC the Flux is terrific. I look forward to trying the new RFX and comparing it to my current Foes FXR to fit the 6" travel all 'round category.

Specialized sucks dong

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Thanks Moose.

I really dig the DW Flux. This bike is my XC/trail bike. I generally have bikes in my stable for different categories. This bike replaces my Ventana El Saltamontes, which replaced an Intense Tracer which replaced a GT idrive, etc.

When comparing the DW Flux to the others, I am super impressed and very happy. The bike climbs so well. You can wail away on the bike, standing pedalling, standing sprinting, seated pedalling, seated hammering, it just freeking goes. No or minimal bob.

But this is not at all at the expence of DH capabilities. The bike runs super low compression damping and has a nice, flat spring curve - so it uses its travel nicely, remaining plush and playfull.

I really wanted a bike that could be a good solid trail bike, but light enough and efficient enough to race XC. I'd say this bike is it.

With my current build the bike is right at 25 pounds. With a little different tire selection, I can easily get it down to 24.5#'s. This is in a size XL, with a very solid build that can be used day in, day out.

I am running a 120 mil fork to add some plushness and slacken the angles just a bit - but have also inverted my stem to lower the bars for climbing. Currently I have a 2.3" Weirwolf in the front and a 2.1 Prowler in the back. This combo provides some good versatility for all around trail riding.

For this category - short travel trail/XC the Flux is terrific. I look forward to trying the new RFX and comparing it to my current Foes FXR to fit the 6" travel all 'round category.
    Yea, but you somehow missed the best feature of the modern classic GL:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Announcing The General Lee (and 5 hours of fun on Mount Diablo)-0000038108_20070301132322.jpg