mtbr member
    Sep 2013

angle set question

can i get some help on how to install the fsa angle set for my rfx? Fsa has no instructions for the size that fits the rfx but does have instructions for there other anglesets. The instructions say for to slacken the fork to put the + side of the cup forward for the bottom and - cup forward for the top cup. When i look at the cups it seems like it should be the exact oppisite to slacken the bike. can i get some advice on what +/- to go with before i install?

thank you,

cb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails angle set question-20160222_125636.jpg  

%$#$*!
    The arrow of your desired setting should point forward. For example, if you want to slacken to a -1 or 65 degree HA then the -1 should point forward or towards the front wheel for both cups.

mtbr member
    I just built mine, had the same questions (specially after reading the misleading Pinkbike article), the angle looks fine now but I still have a 1mm gap betwin the top cap and the top of the top cup, is that normal? The bearing doesn't seem very well protected...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, thank you Beef magic on clarifying angleset instalation! The fsa angle set instructions on there Web site say to do exactly the opposite! Turner should provide setup instructions online.

I too have the small gap between top of headset but headset seems solid and I'm really enjoying the 65 deg angle.

Thanks again,

Cb

%$#$*!
    Yeah my headset has the small gap. Seems odd that at it even exists. Seems like a design oversight. I tried to use the regular top cap off of the old headset but it binded too much. So far so good though, but time will tell....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    ...When i look at the cups it seems like it should be the exact oppisite to slacken the bike. can i get some advice on what +/- to go with before i install?
    Same thing happened with my bike. We (two brains are better than one, right?) installed an Angleset headset per instructions. After sliding the fork into place we noticed it was angled rearward -- the opposite of what we were trying to accomplish.

We knocked the cups back out, reinstalled them 180 degrees out, and then everything went together as expected.

Good luck!

Kiwi that Flew
    I initially installed it with both negative facing towards the front of the bike. I noticed the gap that others have mentioned, so rotated the upper cup to have the negative facing back ie as per the pinkbike article and as per the FSA instructions. The gap remains but seems smaller.

(Image above shown with a Hope wiper)
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 04-09-2016 at 01:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wrote Turner twice asking for install advice for the angle set and never got a reply:-(