MK_
    carpe maņana

AM wheelset under 1800g?

Here's what I've been having a blast riding for the past several weeks. I've gone back to good old yes tubes. Initially with sealant in the tubes, but quickly realized that sealant does squat for pinch flats and replaced them with some thicker walled tubes without sealant, managing to save close to a pound of weight of in the mean time.

Onto the wheelset.

Front consists of a CK 20mm ISO hub laced to 28mm wide Alex FD28 rim with black Sapim CX-Ray spokes and polyax nipps. Total weight, 820g. One could save more weight with silver spokes, but black is all I could get my hands on at an attractive price.

Rear consists of a CK ISO hub with HD axle and standard drive shell, laced up to the same FD28 with the same CX-Ray spokes with polyax nipps. Total weight was bouncing in between 960 and 970g on the Alpine scale. Say 965g.

Total weight is 1785g.

Please pardon the photo quality as they were done late during a little maintenance on the hubs without any type of proper lighting.

-mK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

PSI
    I want that one

wow, those are nice rims

480gr for 28mm rims! not to mention great price. I've been looking for strong/light rims but never looked at alex for some reason. very impressive. (...nice hubs too )

Bodhisattva
    Good job MK.
    This winter I'm going to rebuild my wheelset with the new DT 5.1s and Sapim CX-Rays. Weight should be real close to yours.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    pretty dern sweet. i too wouldnt have considered alex as a viable option. always equated then to sorta heavy, entry level or mid range hooptys before this. will be interesting to get some long term feedback. let us know if ya will be so kind.
    No, I'm NOT back!

am i the only one who doesnt have one of those scales? seems i see em popin up everywhere lately. could be the perfect compliment to my vintage ultimate stand. from what i can see it covers a wide range of weights. what are the min and max it will accurately read?
    No, I'm NOT back!

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    am i the only one who doesnt have one of those scales? seems i see em popin up everywhere lately. could be the perfect compliment to my vintage ultimate stand. from what i can see it covers a wide range of weights. what are the min and max it will accurately read?
    it does up to 55 pounds.

if i need a bike scale that reads more than 55 lbs, please just shoot me. whats the min accurate weight reading?
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    if i need a bike scale that reads more than 55 lbs, please just shoot me. whats the min accurate weight reading?
    The scale goes in 10g increments. So techincally, you're within 5g of accurate weight.

And yeah Sqeak, 5.1ds appear to be very similar on paper. These alex rims have an added benefit of being very inexpensive. They're advertised to be 490g, both of mine came in at 480g on the Alpine scale when I removed the stickers.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

very cool. thanx for all the info on both hoops and scale, mk. i wonder if i can register my xmass gift ideas on mtbr?
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I wonder if i can register my xmass gift ideas on mtbr?
    You should definatelly throw the idea at Francis and Greg, this might be just the thing to liven up the money making part of the site some more and possibly get them to invest some more in the servers, so the double and tripple posts are eliminated

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

ya think so? i was just messin around but maybe yer right. thanx mk. ill do it. as long as all the orders go through my shop! hehehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!