mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New question here. AM Spot brakes questions???

Guys,
    A newby here trying to figure out which Formulas to put on the DW Spot I am building.
    I was set on The One 2009 and then that went bad due to lack of stock at retailers right now.
    So I start wandering if the '10 RX can do the job just fine....sure who doesn't love the upscale look of The One...but the price of admission is quite high...
    I way 220lbs with gear and run north estern trails, few long descents.
    Can the RX handle this well? Say 180 -180 rotors front and back

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    The RX's are relatively new so not sure how much feedback you will get. I have 180/180 Megas on my DW Spot. Like them a lot. I am about your weight and ride in the North East. I have had 180 K18s too but prefer the bite adjust. You should be able to find K24s for cheap and also consider Hope V2s and Magura Louise - both good brakes and not too expensive.

Committed
    The time I have on the new RX ( a couple of days) left me less than impressed.
    I would look at the Megas if the Ones are not an option. I had Megas on my Spot for a while and they are nearly identical to the Ones in terms of performance.

Outcast
    I bought a pair of megas from an aussie ebay dealer brand new for $250 shipped; he had several sets during the auction. He was legit, good merchandise and a fast shipper. He might have more. Or if your interested, I know a guy who has a used pair of K24's that he's looking to sell at a very good price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any particular reason you want Formulas?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi,

I run avid elxir CRs. Got them for 210 front & back set (inc rotors) on Merlin. Previously had Juciy 7's. Extremly impressed with these so far. Stopping power on my spot is great. I weigh 13.5st and ride aggresive XC/ AM. The hope x2s are a non starter...........very poor stopping power from three sources I know and tried them on a friends bike........my 5yr old juicys worked better!!

TE

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfaced Shockmaster
    Any particular reason you want Formulas?
    For start, they get pretty good reviews
    Second, I just favor the lever feel over the other brands.
    I have a pair of Elixir CR. They're good, but I prefer the feel of the Bianco/K24 levers...If only I could find a pair of Biancos for decent price...Otherwise, it might be the Mega or The One. Since the 2009 stocks are low and pricey might as well buy 2010.
    Some experts recommend The One with 180 F and 160 R for an AM bike so you dont go crazy and find yourself ahead of your bike when you squeez them the first time...
    I run 180 F&R with my Elixirs.
    Just curious to know If I should save my money and go for the RX. After all they're pretty cheap all considered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow-G
    I have a pair of Elixir CR.
    Well, if you end up getting something different then I am interested in buying your Elixir CRs. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I think the op should look into the Brembos. They should be out any time now and from the looks of those reviews, they really nailed what mountain bikers want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    Well, if you end up getting something different then I am interested in buying your Elixir CRs. Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I should have mentioned that the brakes I am considering are for a new Spot. The Elixirs will stay on my 05 Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow-G
    I should have mentioned that the brakes I am considering are for a new Spot. The Elixirs will stay on my 05 Spot.
    Ohh. Well nm. You like the Elixir's?

I have been thinking about replacing my Juicy 7's with them. They would be going on a 08 Sultan.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    Ohh. Well nm. You like the Elixir's?

I have been thinking about replacing my Juicy 7's with them. They would be going on a 08 Sultan.
    You get those wheels yet?, were gonna get out Thurs if yer interested

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    You get those wheels yet?, were gonna get out Thurs if yer interested
    Nope. Still waiting... Hadley hasn't even shipped him the hubs yet. Supposedly they are gonna ship in a few more days. At this point I am wishing I just would have paid the extra money to get some Kings.

Thanks for the invite tho. As soon as I do get up and running I am most definitely down to go riding with ya'll.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the megas on my RFX, great stuff.