mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AM Rim Choices? Flows,EX 500, others?

Researching options on rims for a new AM wheelset. I've got King/823s now, bomb-proof, but a bit heavy. I'm easy on equipment so these rims are just a bit more than I need. I do like to hit the rock gardens, drop a 4 ft'er on occassion though. Even the 819s have worked well, but are too narrow for the 2.4 tires I like to run.

Flows or EX500s are my choices at this point. I'd like to hear some reports on durability.

Anyone?
    We Ride In God's Country!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I run flows on two bikes, the rear rim on my 6" travel bike lasted 5 years, the front is on 6 years now and i don't foresee needing to replace it. Everyone i ride with on a regular basis rides Flows on all there MTBs and I've never seen a failure in our group of friends from Flows. I even have a couple of lightweight friends that ride Flows as there DH race rims. I consider them one of the best producst I have ever used in mountain biking.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Add WTB Frequncy i23 to the list.

470g rim. UST bead. (will need a rim strip+sealant, though). 23mm wide internally, 28 externally. No eyelets, like Stan's, but better drilling so much higher spoke tension limit than Stan's.

DT has stainless eyelets so high spoke tension is fine (like WTB rim).

If you have lots of dough, look at carbon rims like EXC400 from DT (400g @ ~30mm) or Enve AM rims.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Committed
    Industry Nine Enduro rims are excellent. Super tough, ust bead (need tape or rim strip), 500 grams, eylets, wide enough for 2.5 tire with a proper profile. I went from DT 5.1s that wouldn't last a year to these that are going strong after three years.
    Lighter riders are using them for dh rims they hold up so well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Industry Nine Enduro rims are excellent.
    Will Industry Nine sell the rims independently of their hubs?

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Will Industry Nine sell the rims independently of their hubs?
    I assumed that they would, but honestly I guess I don't know. I have been able to buy replacement rims from them for I9 wheelsets, but not sure if they sell for aftermarket use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I never really considered I9 wheelsets, but they've got a decent price point: ~$900. About the same for a King or Hadley build. And then you get a 3-yr warranty on the hub shell and drive mechanism. Not the rim though.

INDUSTRY NINE : : : - Enduro

$8/spoke isn't cheap, but in the past yrs of riding, I think I've broken 4 spokes. But when I comes time for a rebuild, now that could be pretty darn expensive. More so since you have to use their spokes. Better just to sell them and get a new set.

The Flows just seem to have mixed reviews and success. Same with the EX500s. My 823s are solid but the weight penalty at 630g/rim.

Anyone running the Enduro set?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    The Flows just seem to have mixed reviews and success. Same with the EX500s. My 823s are solid but the weight penalty at 630g/rim.
    What about the Mavic EN521? They seem to be in the same class as the EX500 and Flow.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I never really considered I9 wheelsets, but they've got a decent price point: ~$900. About the same for a King or Hadley build. And then you get a 3-yr warranty on the hub shell and drive mechanism. Not the rim though.

INDUSTRY NINE : : : - Enduro

$8/spoke isn't cheap, but in the past yrs of riding, I think I've broken 4 spokes. But when I comes time for a rebuild, now that could be pretty darn expensive. More so since you have to use their spokes. Better just to sell them and get a new set.

Anyone running the Enduro set?
    I've had I9s and the spokes in my experience were braking much faster than what I'm used to with DT Aerolites/Competitions/Revolutions and Sapim CX-Rays. At $8 a pop it was braking my bank so I sold them (and no, I had no chain drops into the spokes).

Your 823s are 630g without the inserts which weight about 60g on average so you're a little heavier than you think. Going with a pair of 500g rims would save you a pound of weight.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm on year 2 with a set of Kings/Flows running tubeless with yellow tape and Stan's valve. Wide, light (for it's use), and strong. I'm 200# and don't shy away from rocks. Still true as the day they were built. [knocks on wood].

MC MasterShake
    I got 2 seasons out of my DT5.1's before they started cracking at the eyelets. Those rims are also super soft. I had so many bends and flatspots in those rims it was crazy.

I replaced them with Stan's flows. They've been solid so far. They are going on their 3rd season. They're not straight anymore and they have some bends in them but they're still going strong.

So my experience has been the Stan's are slightly lighter, stiffer, wider, and they do tubeless better than the DT5.1's. Those WTB rims look interesting. If I had the dough I'd go with the carbon Enve AM rims. Those look sick!

For reference these wheels were mounted on a Knolly Delirium and I get about 7 to 10 lift days a year. I've hit some pretty big drops and jumps w/o any problems. Not much pure DH but my trail riding is very rocky and tech so everything takes a beating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can also take a look at the Sun Ringle Equalizer 27. Not as wide as the Flows but it's a sturdy rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another vote for Flows!

Mine have been going strong for 3 seasons on my "freeride" bike and are still running strong on my new Spot.

These wheels have to been Moab (8+ times), St. George (5+times), Fruita, Whister, Vancouver, Hood River, my local riding (Northern Utah) and only been trued once.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Check out the Pacenti TL28 rims.
    28mm wide 26er rims. Claimed weight 390g! And these have eyelets.

BikeLugs.com

No first hand knowledge of durability, etc.
    A review here:
    Review: Pacenti TL28 26er Mountain Bike Rim | Bike198

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i have various mavics, flows, DT500s....and this spring i'm going to build up a set w/ the i23 WTB's. they seem to check all the boxes, so i want to try them

edit: actually, i think they are pinned not welded, which historically has been a bad thing long-term (if not outright failure, creaking develops). still may try the i23 since so cheap.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I've had I9s and the spokes in my experience were braking much faster than what I'm used to with DT Aerolites/Competitions/Revolutions and Sapim CX-Rays. At $8 a pop it was braking my bank so I sold them (and no, I had no chain drops into the spokes).

Your 823s are 630g without the inserts which weight about 60g on average so you're a little heavier than you think. Going with a pair of 500g rims would save you a pound of weight.

_MK
    Yeah, that's right about the 823s. That's 630 w/o the inserts! No wonder I'm so slow on the climbs. Plus I'm already slow, I need all the assistance I can get.

Geez, there's no perfect rim/wheel out there. Unless I were to get the carbon rims but at ridiculous bank!

521s are not tubeless compatible and are pretty heavy also. Thanks though.

Funny, no one mentioned or seems to have the EX500s.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll go with Kings on Flows.