Ow!

Am I still a homer?

I guess I am just whining, but I feel kinda left out on this board. I have not been able to relate well with much here for the last few years (much less understand all the new terms).

I bought one of the last XCEs in 2003 (you old ones will remember the Supergo blowout). Had to change the rockers and get a heavy spring for the Romic (which Turner came through big time), built it up, and have never felt the need for any replacement--Turner or otherwise. The XCE, of course, has had every component changed since then.

Test rode a 5 spot about a year after the XCE purchase (demo day at Fantasy Island, Tucson). Hmmph. Didn't seem much different to me. Test road a lot of other similar bikes from other manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, others) over the years, but never felt any need for anything else on the basic trails.

I have purchased a couple bikes for other types of riding since then, but nothing to replace the XCE. Went out for an early, short ride this morning. Again, amazing ride. The XCE just flowed. I flowed. The universe flowed.

So, am I still one of you after all these years, riding an antiquated frame? Am I just a lesser one of you? Am I still a homer?

destination unknown
    May 2008

Clearly it's a NO!

Since none of the Homer elite have responded I would say that's a big fat NO! Now get the heck out of here!

Am I still a homer?-treehouse.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    [QUOTE=LncNuvue;8292618]Since none of the Homer elite have responded I would say that's a big fat NO! Now get the heck out of here!

Pfff....ya mang.....what the heck is a XCE....now beat it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just show em ta pic of your XCE on a couch and you're in

Rolling
    Gosh, why would you want to be a homer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nobody cares about a 2003 frame. That is some antiquated crap. You are missing all of the new technology and your riding ability must suck if you can not feel a difference between your old bike and a 2010 bike of any brand. Time for you to upgrade your skill level and get off of the paved bike paths. ******

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Nobody cares about a 2003 frame. That is some antiquated crap. You are missing all of the new technology and your riding ability must suck if you can not feel a difference between your old bike and a 2010 bike of any brand. Time for you to upgrade your skill level and get off of the paved bike paths. ******
    Normally I'd give a post like this a B- for comedic value, but I really think this guy might be serious, so I'm bumping it up to a solid A. A reference to no one blogging about an XCE would definitely have pushed it into A+ territory.

To the OP- the XCE predates Homerism, so you never had to worry about it to begin with. Anyone who buys the latest and greatest can talk it up, but in a way you have something (an eight year old bike you still ride and enjoy) that many will never experience.
    Last edited by miles e; 07-30-2011 at 06:06 AM.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    The XCE just flowed. I flowed. The universe flowed.

Am I still a homer?
    You sir, are a Flomer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I must be stuck in a time warp too, still riding my '04 5 Spot & an '05 6 Pack, still messing with rocker & rear triangle combinations & offset shock bushes - still loving both of them!

meatier showers
    So, am I still one of you after all these years, riding an antiquated frame? Am I just a lesser one of you? Am I still a homer?
    Are you kidding? You got on the bus way before many of us homer come latelys. You Sir are a legend... a Godfather... a Godhomer.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rc200 View Post
    I must be stuck in a time warp too, still riding my '04 5 Spot & an '05 6 Pack, still messing with rocker & rear triangle combinations & offset shock bushes - still loving both of them!
    Time warp homer here, still riding my '01 RFX with a few original parts (xt 4pot brakes, RF XYO seat post, atac alium pedals, xt derailleur with rollamjig). I do get some strange looks from time to time, but I haven't yet found another bike that would make me want to replace it. The only one that might come close is if the new RFX is ever released ...

Large member
    Once a homer, always a homer.

At least you're still riding yours

Ow!
    Thanks for the pleasant replies. So, I guess I am still a homer, even though we may not have been called homers in the ancient days. It is good to read of other riders (homers?) on older Turners out there.

Maybe some took my post too seriously? It was not all that serious or much of an attempt at being funny (obviously). All interesting replies, though. Even the more "negative" replies were funny.

And still changing components for future rides. This weekend, the XCE got some new pedals (my 646s are finally wore out, so some new XT Trail pedals) and a lighter set of wheels/tires. Might also pull the Romic and re-install the RP23 this week. See, I am not a complete luddite.

"Godhomer"? I like it, but I am not certain the picture would be of a fat, old man on a fat, old frame. Seems like a picture of a Godhomer would be more, well, inspiring.

Keep riding what ya got. You know I do.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pleasant replies. So, I guess I am still a homer, even though we may not have been called homers in the ancient days. It is good to read of other riders (homers?) on older Turners out there.

Maybe some took my post too seriously? It was not all that serious or much of an attempt at being funny (obviously). All interesting replies, though. Even the more "negative" replies were funny.

And still changing components for future rides. This weekend, the XCE got some new pedals (my 646s are finally wore out, so some new XT Trail pedals) and a lighter set of wheels/tires. Might also pull the Romic and re-install the RP23 this week. See, I am not a complete luddite.

"Godhomer"? I like it, but I am not certain the picture would be of a fat, old man on a fat, old frame. Seems like a picture of a Godhomer would be more, well, inspiring.

Keep riding what ya got. You know I do.
    I guess Im in the same boat...I ride an 08' 5spot however, I would like to throw my leg over a new ventana el ciclon
    Too wet to ride!