Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Am I the only one who won't spend 2k on a bike frame?

I love Turner frames! But, I'm not spending 2k plus for one. For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo

mtbr member
    That's why I buy nice used frames. 2K is a lot for sure, but worth it if you got it. I imagine opening a box from Turner with a brand spankin' new frame in it would be pretty sweet.

Trophy Husband
    Lots of bike frames out there for less than 2K. Buy one of those. 2 grand for your life passion doesn't seem like too much money to me, but YMMV.

It's only money. You'll make more.

BTW, I've never spent 2K on a frame...and I've had some pretty good frames in the last few years (Titus, Chumba, Transition, IH Sunday).
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I love Turner frames! But, I'm not spending 2k plus for one. For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo

2K is way too rich for my blood. I have purchased 3 used Turner frames over the years and all for less than 1K and while the first one was clearly "used" the other 2 have been almost perfect. Perhaps when the kids are gone I will pony up for a new frame.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane
    I imagine opening a box from Turner with a brand spankin' new frame in it would be pretty sweet.
    it sure is! im on my 5th box and it never gets old.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have never paid 2k for a frame. Bought my Pack used and have bought a couple of demo frame deals. There are so many deals going on that you should never have to pay 2k.

Nothing wrong with paying 2k for a frame though if you want one bad enough.

banned
    Obviously, there are many people out there who don't share your fiscal constraints (whether self-imposed or imposed by your circumstances).

Maybe you could start another thread and ask if anyone else doesn't like kitty cats...

Rolling

Jaybo
    I spent $750 on my Turner frame--brand new--and really enjoyed my 53 mile ride on it today. Timing is everything. What everyone wants now, will be cheap later when everyone wants what is next.

lidar: i hear that! well except for the ride part. fockin rain.

mr mint: thats pretty funny.

in the end, its what make folks happy. a 2k frame that lasts a decade or more with little maint and the support given by a company like turner makes this otherwise bitter pill easy to swallow and quite tastey, actually. why spend $1000 or more 3 plus times and suffer through lesser quality and ride charactoristics, mediocor to poor customer service and longevity issues in the same time frame as many of us own our turners? then lets talk resale value. that doesnt make much sense to me but not everyone holds onto a frame as long as some do so i get that part to a extent. i dont own a 20k car but i dont bag on folks that do.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 05-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo
    If you're looking at new frames, thats pretty much the going rate.
    Looks like specialized stumpjumper frames start at $1750 and go up to $4k.
    Not seeing frame-only prices for trek, but the remedy's run $2860, $3850, and $4830 for full bikes.

If you bought a used trek or specialized, would they take care of you if it broke?
    Do they still sell hangers and pivot hardware for their 8-year old bikes?

You could certainly build up a turner for similar or less money than some of these mass-produced, overseas made bikes.

Maybe you posted to stir the pot, fine with me.... But does the world need more "disposable" ~$1200 mountainbike frames? I think the extra money is well spent, even if I don't own my frames in 5 years, it's nice to know they will still have resale value and customer support behind them.

Now spending $3-4k+ on a TV, or $60k+ on a car, is that a more sensible investment?
    Not in my book. Judge if you must I guess....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Ok so it's old...

... but my burner was only 800 new!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Maybe you posted to stir the pot...
    noooooooooooooo...... not jaybo. what are ya? sober??
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    eBay rulz.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

uh oh.... someone has a new toy! swappin frames or a fresh build? cummon man, drop the build spec on us.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    eBay rulz.
    Did the suds come with it? Damn UT and the silly laws here. I need to drive up to Evanston and pick up a case or two of the Daschutes swill, I really like the Obsidian Stout and Inversion IPA, but can't get them here..............

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

trail fairy
    Jaybo don't you already have a Turner, I feel a makeover time out is required!

America's next top Turner [aka Model] time

Lick a paint, some new bits and you'll feel the love JB..

I feel ya pain J more than you know, we pay more than 3k here so if its a number we a hurting too..I can't afford a Ferrari either and Ive just sold the truck, life sucks and then ya gotta just suck it up and feel the pain CF style

I would love a Sul, an HL , a DHR! reality aint gonna happen but Im still a lucky mofo, be happy with the one ya with bro, now paint away

Chur
    mint like CC says thats some funny s h i t
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    So are you just always on the lookout for a good deal, or do you really need another?

eBay rulz.

MW
    mtbr member
    eBay rulz.
    2007 RFX with less than 60 miles on the frame? Yeah . . . for the patient, there are some deals out there.

Nice grab, tscheezy! What's the master plan for this one?

--MW

trail fairy
    Nice find MW

But you guys need to get around more, CC MW ceck here for Ts latest build on that bad boy Ts RFX 07

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    So are you just always on the lookout for a good deal, or do you really need another?
    Need. Definitely need. Must... feed... monkeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    What's the master plan for this one?
    Gonna rock it.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where I come from Turner is way out of reach for most. More expensive than Intense, Cove, Ellsworth, SC etc.

5 Spot is currently around 1750
    Intense Spider 1500
    Ellsworth Moment 1200
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    Where I come from Turner is way out of reach for most. More expensive than Intense, Cove, Ellsworth, SC etc.

5 Spot is currently around 1750
    Intense Spider 1500
    Ellsworth Moment 1200
    Strane how different it is from country to country, here its at the higher end more than a Santa Cruz though not much more, way less than an Ellsworth and less than Intense, I guess $$ Pounds Euros all havea bearing and the usual stuff..

Interesting! Out of any of those the bushing system alone would help me choose a Turner for your conditons, it will pay for itself quickly I woulda thought, I lived there for awhile! Fun umm yer at times

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

ahhhh. the hidin the new build in the old thread trick! bad me for not lookin at it lately.

under 32 lbs? isnt that 1 of them threre underbuilt xc rfx's the homer world hates so much? no wonder ya hid it! congrats man. its gonna knock yer socks off when ya get some good ol home trail time on it. climbs almost as good as a highline.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ahhhh. the hidin the new build in the old thread trick! bad me for not lookin at it lately.

under 32 lbs? isnt that 1 of them threre underbuilt xc rfx's the homer world hates so much? no wonder ya hid it! congrats man. its gonna knock yer socks off when ya get some good ol home trail time on it. climbs almost as good as a highline.
    Im lost, I would love TS stable but when will he ride the Sultan with one of those XC RFX ugh uber modes ugh cough cough urghey cough...

Just kidding secretlyI want to join the club

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

fried stuff with cheese
    Need. Definitely need. Must... feed... monkeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gonna rock it.
    You keeping your 55?
    I'm still on the fence on mine. Having a bastardized Lyrik built up now as my other option.

(Just so I don't derail the thread) - Yes, spending over $2k is too much to spend on a frame for me. Luckily it isn't for a bunch of other people and some of them like to sell their stuff. Also, and I'm not saying quality is on the same level as Turner, but there are other brands out there making some nice stuff for less cash and great support. Transition comes to mind.
    Egg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast