Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Am I the only one who won't spend 2k on a bike frame?

I love Turner frames! But, I'm not spending 2k plus for one. For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo

mtbr member
    That's why I buy nice used frames. 2K is a lot for sure, but worth it if you got it. I imagine opening a box from Turner with a brand spankin' new frame in it would be pretty sweet.

Trophy Husband
    Lots of bike frames out there for less than 2K. Buy one of those. 2 grand for your life passion doesn't seem like too much money to me, but YMMV.

It's only money. You'll make more.

BTW, I've never spent 2K on a frame...and I've had some pretty good frames in the last few years (Titus, Chumba, Transition, IH Sunday).
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I love Turner frames! But, I'm not spending 2k plus for one. For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo

2K is way too rich for my blood. I have purchased 3 used Turner frames over the years and all for less than 1K and while the first one was clearly "used" the other 2 have been almost perfect. Perhaps when the kids are gone I will pony up for a new frame.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane
    I imagine opening a box from Turner with a brand spankin' new frame in it would be pretty sweet.
    it sure is! im on my 5th box and it never gets old.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have never paid 2k for a frame. Bought my Pack used and have bought a couple of demo frame deals. There are so many deals going on that you should never have to pay 2k.

Nothing wrong with paying 2k for a frame though if you want one bad enough.

banned
    Obviously, there are many people out there who don't share your fiscal constraints (whether self-imposed or imposed by your circumstances).

Maybe you could start another thread and ask if anyone else doesn't like kitty cats...

Rolling

Jaybo
    I spent $750 on my Turner frame--brand new--and really enjoyed my 53 mile ride on it today. Timing is everything. What everyone wants now, will be cheap later when everyone wants what is next.

lidar: i hear that! well except for the ride part. fockin rain.

mr mint: thats pretty funny.

in the end, its what make folks happy. a 2k frame that lasts a decade or more with little maint and the support given by a company like turner makes this otherwise bitter pill easy to swallow and quite tastey, actually. why spend $1000 or more 3 plus times and suffer through lesser quality and ride charactoristics, mediocor to poor customer service and longevity issues in the same time frame as many of us own our turners? then lets talk resale value. that doesnt make much sense to me but not everyone holds onto a frame as long as some do so i get that part to a extent. i dont own a 20k car but i dont bag on folks that do.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 05-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    mtbr member
    For that matter, I won't spend 2k plus for any bike frame. End of story! It just seems foolish to me. There, I said it

Jaybo
    If you're looking at new frames, thats pretty much the going rate.
    Looks like specialized stumpjumper frames start at $1750 and go up to $4k.
    Not seeing frame-only prices for trek, but the remedy's run $2860, $3850, and $4830 for full bikes.

If you bought a used trek or specialized, would they take care of you if it broke?
    Do they still sell hangers and pivot hardware for their 8-year old bikes?

You could certainly build up a turner for similar or less money than some of these mass-produced, overseas made bikes.

Maybe you posted to stir the pot, fine with me.... But does the world need more "disposable" ~$1200 mountainbike frames? I think the extra money is well spent, even if I don't own my frames in 5 years, it's nice to know they will still have resale value and customer support behind them.

Now spending $3-4k+ on a TV, or $60k+ on a car, is that a more sensible investment?
    Not in my book. Judge if you must I guess....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Ok so it's old...

... but my burner was only 800 new!
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Maybe you posted to stir the pot...
    noooooooooooooo...... not jaybo. what are ya? sober??
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    eBay rulz.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

uh oh.... someone has a new toy! swappin frames or a fresh build? cummon man, drop the build spec on us.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    eBay rulz.
    Did the suds come with it? Damn UT and the silly laws here. I need to drive up to Evanston and pick up a case or two of the Daschutes swill, I really like the Obsidian Stout and Inversion IPA, but can't get them here..............

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

trail fairy
    Jaybo don't you already have a Turner, I feel a makeover time out is required!

America's next top Turner [aka Model] time

Lick a paint, some new bits and you'll feel the love JB..

I feel ya pain J more than you know, we pay more than 3k here so if its a number we a hurting too..I can't afford a Ferrari either and Ive just sold the truck, life sucks and then ya gotta just suck it up and feel the pain CF style

I would love a Sul, an HL , a DHR! reality aint gonna happen but Im still a lucky mofo, be happy with the one ya with bro, now paint away

Chur
    mint like CC says thats some funny s h i t
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    So are you just always on the lookout for a good deal, or do you really need another?

eBay rulz.

MW
    mtbr member
    eBay rulz.
    2007 RFX with less than 60 miles on the frame? Yeah . . . for the patient, there are some deals out there.

Nice grab, tscheezy! What's the master plan for this one?

--MW

trail fairy
    Nice find MW

But you guys need to get around more, CC MW ceck here for Ts latest build on that bad boy Ts RFX 07

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    So are you just always on the lookout for a good deal, or do you really need another?
    Need. Definitely need. Must... feed... monkeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    What's the master plan for this one?
    Gonna rock it.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where I come from Turner is way out of reach for most. More expensive than Intense, Cove, Ellsworth, SC etc.

5 Spot is currently around £1750
    Intense Spider £1500
    Ellsworth Moment £1200
    "but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    Where I come from Turner is way out of reach for most. More expensive than Intense, Cove, Ellsworth, SC etc.

5 Spot is currently around £1750
    Intense Spider £1500
    Ellsworth Moment £1200
    Strane how different it is from country to country, here its at the higher end more than a Santa Cruz though not much more, way less than an Ellsworth and less than Intense, I guess $$ Pounds Euros all havea bearing and the usual stuff..

Interesting! Out of any of those the bushing system alone would help me choose a Turner for your conditons, it will pay for itself quickly I woulda thought, I lived there for awhile! Fun umm yer at times

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

ahhhh. the hidin the new build in the old thread trick! bad me for not lookin at it lately.

under 32 lbs? isnt that 1 of them threre underbuilt xc rfx's the homer world hates so much? no wonder ya hid it! congrats man. its gonna knock yer socks off when ya get some good ol home trail time on it. climbs almost as good as a highline.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ahhhh. the hidin the new build in the old thread trick! bad me for not lookin at it lately.

under 32 lbs? isnt that 1 of them threre underbuilt xc rfx's the homer world hates so much? no wonder ya hid it! congrats man. its gonna knock yer socks off when ya get some good ol home trail time on it. climbs almost as good as a highline.
    Im lost, I would love TS stable but when will he ride the Sultan with one of those XC RFX ugh uber modes ugh cough cough urghey cough...

Just kidding secretlyI want to join the club

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

fried stuff with cheese
    Need. Definitely need. Must... feed... monkeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gonna rock it.
    You keeping your 55?
    I'm still on the fence on mine. Having a bastardized Lyrik built up now as my other option.

(Just so I don't derail the thread) - Yes, spending over $2k is too much to spend on a frame for me. Luckily it isn't for a bunch of other people and some of them like to sell their stuff. Also, and I'm not saying quality is on the same level as Turner, but there are other brands out there making some nice stuff for less cash and great support. Transition comes to mind.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Strane how different it is from country to country, here its at the higher end more than a Santa Cruz though not much more, way less than an Ellsworth and less than Intense, I guess $$ Pounds Euros all havea bearing and the usual stuff..

Interesting! Out of any of those the bushing system alone would help me choose a Turner for your conditons, it will pay for itself quickly I woulda thought, I lived there for awhile! Fun umm yer at times
    Depends where in the country I guess. I lived in NZ for over a year and never seen so much rain in my life! We are on a hosepipe ban as usual here. My bearings are the originals, 3 winters and 3 seasons in the French and Swiss Alps - still going strong.

I like bikes, that is all.
    "but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    Depends where in the country I guess. I lived in NZ for over a year and never seen so much rain in my life! We are on a hosepipe ban as usual here. My bearings are the originals, 3 winters and 3 seasons in the French and Swiss Alps - still going strong.

I like bikes, that is all.
    New Zealand or Aotearoa bro = Land of the Long white cloud, with all that white stuf ya get precepitation its part of the course

Though where I spent most of my life incl growing up our annual rainfall was 390mm yep per year, AK can have its rainy years and dry years this year has been a dry one, we have droughts, Ive never seen cracks in the the ground like this year here, ya could stick ya arm in the ground to the shoulder in places, in the Waikato the cow cockies were a hurtin big time, thats normaly one of the mositest places in NZ, it made Central Otago look like a rain forest, and if ya been there mate ya know how brown it is down there

Weather is a cycle like life and then there's the beautiful lie! Globla warming,don't even get me started on that Dawg lol..

Chur..ta

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member

Jaybo
    Buy used. Of the 3 Turners I have purchased, I only paid retail for one.

Same goes for forks. Especially forks. $1,000 for a fork? No thanks.

Besides, initial cost is only part of the equation. You have to take into account maintenance, longevity, customer service, and all that before you can arrive at the true cost of a frame. I'd say Turners are a good deal when all factors are taken into account.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

tg
    mtbr member
    Besides food and shelter for the fam what else matters more than my bikes? ...... nothing! Without riding and skiing life would be well... dull. I spend more time riding bikes than I do driving my truck.

Lay off the Levers
    Did I miss something???

Last I checked Highlines were $1500 ... problem solved!

Nice scooter TS I dig the color.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

distribution

The difference from country to country is from the different styles of distribution. We just started working with a German distributer and when they visited they had a unique new idea on how to keep the price of expensive imported frames like Turner and Orange more affordable in that country. Not cheap, just more affordable.

TA pointed out the cost of rebuilds. Since they are all similarly priced around $75 usd, and some brands require multiple per year and most Turner frames will go multiple years in the same conditions that quickly puts money back in your pocket. If you don't do the work yourself the savings go up way quicker.

DT

yes, i hear they found a time portal and are currently shipping at 1980's prices. brilliant!
    No, I'm NOT back!

MIT Graduate
    I am certainly not an expert on Mountain Bikes by ANY stretch, so forgive what may be the foolishness of this question but....

Why are Turner frames so popular? What is it about them that gives them such a large following?

-Impalla

functional simplicity, reliablility, geometry, incredible ride quality, near perfect build quality, lack of warranty issues, un matched customer service, frame/pivot/hardware longevity, resale value, open minded owner/designer with a ear on his customer base and respect for their current/future needs, ability to modify with interchangeable parts, color options, history, consumer reviews, community and user knowlage base for starters. anything i missed folks?

in short, some of the most successful and copied bikes ever made by one of the finest builders in the industry.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impalla
    I am certainly not an expert on Mountain Bikes by ANY stretch, so forgive what may be the foolishness of this question but....

Why are Turner frames so popular? What is it about them that gives them such a large following?

-Impalla
    All the popular kids ride 'em.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

and chicks dig turners and turner riders. dt's wife is pretty hot for example. theres suling, barney and many more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Weapon of Choice
    Wait for end of year closeouts, I got my 06 spot frame new for about 1400 online dealer.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did a quick price check. A Flux frame in the UK is £1414 = $2768. Ouch

Bought a new 5 Spot frame on Ebay way, way cheaper than retail in the US. Just bought a complete Flux with XO, Crossmax SL etc for $2100. Bargins are out there, but you've got to be quick to beat us Scots! We can sniff a bargain an ocean away.

MC

trail fairy

-Impalla
    What the

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmoonter
    Did a quick price check. A Flux frame in the UK is £1414 = $2768. Ouch
    I'm shocked that with the anemic dollar, DT isn't shipping frames to the European market by the container load. You would think Turners would be a steal with the exchange rate. Is sombody over there gouging?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

MIT Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    What the
    Was my question that asburd?

-Impalla

trail fairy
    Was my question that asburd?

-Impalla
    My response while absurb was more aimed at have you been frozen for 30yrs e.g where have you been!

Homer humour, which is my point look around here read some posts, Im not trying to be rude or unhelpful but there's plenty of info on the first thread page and history to assimilate which would be more helpful to you or those who truly need to ask the question..

but i'll pop a pill and help ya out to get started
    CS -customer service
    DT - He lives here too, and he rides his bikes, inclu with others not just Homers, I hear he rode with a Nicolai rider the other day
    Bikes - just great bikes

Ok have a read, I need my nap, 2.5 hrs sleep last night Im getting better

Press go ask us what fork and you'll never look back, welcome

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

illiterate or intoxicated
    Jaybo Dood, me thinks thats what them thar eye-con-o-mists calls inflation. Not like blowing up your doll inflation, but stuff costs a lot more inflation. I don't know whys it happens, but it do. Me thinks it will get worse before its all over. Hell, I 'spect gas-o-line will be $4.00 a gallon soon. Glory be, even W never heard of such a thing, $4.00 a gallon gas-o-line and a $2,000.00 Turner. What next? Higher food prices? Oh, thats a right, that theres already happenin'.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    Me thinks it will get worse before its all over.

Hell, I 'spect gas-o-line will be $4.00 a gallon soon.

Glory be, even W never heard of such a thing, $4.00 a gallon gas-o-line and a $2,000.00 Turner. What next?

Higher food prices? Oh, thats a right, that theres already happenin'.
    I suspect higher prices may not be our biggest problem, supply for demand will be the big issuse, by then I should be back on the bike and have even more reasons to ride, Now Im gonna have to live off the land again just like the olden days

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

i can't type the letter s
    .....anything i missed folks?
    Ummm, he's good to ride with

Outcast
    i Like the way Jaybo is thinking. When the price of gas hits 4 bucks a gallon, I will REFUSE to pay it! Simple is as simple does.
    I'll simply buy used gas for half the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    $4 a gallon for fuel. You guys dont know you are living. In the islands of Scotland its £1.40 a litre. Thats £7 a gallon. Thats $13.69 a gallon!!!

Warnings are that it could reach £1.50 a litre by the autumn.

We are doomed!

Baked Alaskan
    Yawn ...

Turners have always been overpriced for Jaybo, this whine comes up every so often. Its nothing we haven't seen from him before. Pay or don't, who cares. There's always good deals on lightly used or closeouts as some have pointed out.

Every passion that costs money is full of expensive components that people whine about being too costly - are we nuts for paying more for bike tires than car tires? Is a camera lens worth $2k? After all its just some metal, plastic and a few pieces of glass. A Gibson guitar $4k? Just some mahogony with a carved maple top and a pretty finish. A Mesa Boogie Amp $2k? Its just speakers, a few tubes and a bunch of wires. And don't even start on aftermarket parts for whatever you drive, talk about burning your credit card. There's a price for everything.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    i Like the way Jaybo is thinking. When the price of gas hits 4 bucks a gallon, I will REFUSE to pay it! Simple is as simple does.
    I'll simply buy used gas for half the price.
    Now you're talking Renny - thinking outside the box is where it's at. You'll have to pick the right used gas though, as different gases hold their value at different levels. For example, a cubic foot of chlorine lists at 38% of original list price after 36 months, whereas the same amount of an Uma Thurman fart is almost 73%.

TLL
    mtbr member
    eBay rulz.
    Way to sneak that one in under the radar.

What was this thread about again?
    Last edited by TLL; 05-13-2008 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member
    If you have never owned a Turner, then you can just shut your mouth! A 2K frame is nothing compared to a lifetime of fun riding with friends and good health.

trying the proven friendly and careing approach i see.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    If you have never owned a Turner, then you can just shut your mouth! A 2K frame is nothing compared to a lifetime of fun riding with friends and good health.
    . . . especially if most of your riding is of the virtual kind, on the Internet . . . .

thats right living legend

I Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    I'd rather spend 2K on a Turner than be unhealthy, and friendless.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Funny

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Last I checked you can get healthy on a Trek. As far as friends, I'm quite sure you can find friends on a Trek too Maybe not. I agree with you all for the most part. Turner's are frames that last a long time. I'm still going to look for them used...

Jaybo

thats right living legend
    Last I checked you can get healthy on a Trek. As far as friends, I'm quite sure you can find friends on a Trek too Maybe not. I agree with you all for the most part. Turner's are frames that last a long time. I'm still going to look for them used...

Jaybo
    Hmm?... surly not.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

gravity curmudgeon
    If I can buy some extra skills, I will consider spending a few extra bucks. Riding with all these local young college guys, my old ski legs and sissy-boy mtb skills need all the help they can get.

Flyin Canine

Jaybo
    I don't like Trek as a company. Therefore I'm not inclined to spend my money with them. I think Specialized is waayy to into looks and style and "new and improved", not to mention that there prices are totally haywire. Giant bikes fail to inspire me when I have ridden them. Scwhinn, GT, Haro, blah, blah, blah. That pretty much leaves Titus, Turner, Ventana, etc. out of these I like Turner the best.

So the question of which company to buy from is decided. The other end of the equation is how much can I get knocked off of retail so that I don't have to pay 2k? Well there are a number of ways to do that. Go work in a shop part time, race and get sponsored, do trail work for groups that give you coupons, etc.

Basically you're just not being creative enough man.

MIT Graduate
    I've never built a bike from the frame up. Just bought complete bikes in the years past. I can't image taking on a project like that....

If you're forking out 2k for a Turner frame (Flux for example), what kind of costs are you looking at to complete the entire bike?

-Impalla

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hopefully, if cash is not a problem, then those of you that will not pay for a new frame may have the "I am going to live forever syndrom." I run in to these people all the time. They save all their money and time for that glorious day in the future where they can retire and then buy a nice bike and spend their money. The problem with this is that a lot of these cats will be dead before retirement. Buy the new bike . . . what are you waiting for, old age?

Also, these people have no concept of time and how fast they are moving to the point where they will not be able to sit in the saddle of a high performance 6 inch plus travel bike. We all know what bikes old dudes ride . . . the ones that are comfortable for their depends.

A close friend of mine who is 32 years old just found out he has to have brain surgery. Do you think he may have a few regrets. What if it were you in this scenario. Keep in mind, any one of us could get hit by a bus any day of the week. Live boys and girls. Live well and live now!

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    IIRC the definintion of Homer is a disliked fat poseur on an expensive bike.
    so what are we talking about again?

That goes for Titus homers too.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

there was a day none of us had built a bike from the ground up or had a lbs do it for us. ive built or rebuilt all my own bikes since the mid 70's, aprox 25 or so, and im on my 5th turner as of last weekend. still own 3 of em and a slew of others, maybe 16 total. 1's a trek 4400 (a SE 4300) for candycorns son.

cost depends on spec. figure 12 hunny in parts for starters and go up to 4k if yer a rich techno geek. a big percentage of the turners ya see here are 4 to 5k total but theres some sweet budget builds and clever specs by those who know where to look and what to look for. just ask. the wealth of experience in here is mind blowin and folks share it gladly, daily.

punta: yer delivery is a bit uppity but yer point is sound. i like it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    IIRC the definintion of Homer is a disliked fat poseur on an expensive bike.
    You called?

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos
    We all know what bikes old dudes ride . . .
    '01 Stinger?

mtbr member
    You guys are CHEAP!!!

A 5 Spot costs $3k here in the UK!

I bought mine (a 2006 model) brand new old stock, from a private seller on eBay for $2k and was pleased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I guess one of the things that I like about the higher end components is that they still have somewhat of a resale value. I just got my first Turner frame, a 5 Spot right before the price increase. Then I was able to sell my Titus frame for almost 50% of what I paid for it new three years ago. Taking some stuff off the old bike also helps with the pain of a new bike build cost wise.
    I want a girl in a short skirt and a long jacket--------cake

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    this is like the guy that told me he wanted a full suspension bike but wouldn't pay more than $1000. You get what you pay for. Used frames, pivots get worn out, heattubes ovalize, and sometimes not even the original owner knows whats wrong. I've spent way more than two grand in a summer on upgrades alone. One thing to do, is work for a bike shop like I did last winter. Ten hours a week saved me $1000 on a brand new FR bike that originally cost three grand. Mountain biking is expensive, and though I'm not rich, I can always come up with a few grand for the gear I need. This is what I live for. Since I sold my purchased - used rfx, I switched to an Iron Horse 7 point, cuz Turner's are just too boutique. Notice how a lot of the Turner riders are older guys with more financial power, have houses with big garages, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    so its not that I WoNT pay 2k on a frame, I just can't. I want to ride my bike in places other than just HERE.

mtbr member
    the wealth of experience in here is mind blowin and folks share it gladly, daily.
    I have two Santa Cruz frames (Nomad and Chameleon hardtail), but for the reason above I spend more time here in Turner-land than I ever do over on the SC forum.

I am happy with my rigs, but being on here and reading all the good things about Turner's customer service, their quality, etc, along with how helpful everyone here is, definitely has me interested in a Turner. (your fellow Homer, mtbr member and Highline owner xtrahoss, keeps trying to convince me to sell the Nomad and buy a Highline. He's only adding fuel to an already raging fire. )

And yes, I'd drop $2K on a frame if I really wanted it. I'd prefer not to, and I have no problem buying used. But when I dropped $4K on my Nomad (full rig) last spring and got back into biking after a 6 year hiatus, I can honestly say it's the best $4K I've spent in my life.

Roy
    mtbr member
    isnt that 1 of them threre underbuilt xc rfx's the homer world hates so much?
    Correction: the homer world loves/lives for the underbuilt XC RFX (and/or Highline). It's the anti-homer homers with all the hatin'.

"El Whatever"
    As far as friends, I'm quite sure you can find friends on a Trek too
    I don't think so... maybe Giant's. But Trek??? No effing way.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    You guys think Turners are spendy, I just blew a ton of cash on a mattress. The mark up on these things must be outrageous. I got a buddy deal and still spent $1700 on a $3000 mattress.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

Jaybo
    Jay,

I find it amazing that your post has gotten some much buzz? If you were only selling bike parts, like you do replies you probably wouldn't have to work as much?

I love my 06' RFX for my riding needs and got it just about totally dialed to my specs, besides a little shorter BB ht and little more slack, it has been a great ride/investment. But I did pay $1300 for the frame new, not $2k+ like today's prices.

If the RFX got stollen today, I am afraid I would have to spring for Giant Reign X complete for <$2k and who knows, may even like as much, if not better?

I'm in Sunriver right now trying to shake this cold/flu I came down a couple of days ago before we left, pretty miserable, so no riding until I feel somewhat better, but on the bright side, it's more time for the snow to melt. Hoping to ride Sun, Mon, and Tue before we leave.

Get some good early morning or late day (pre or post heat) riding in this weekend if you go out. Post Canyon probably wouldn't be too bad before the day starts cooking in the gorge.

JG
    Ride On!

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Stans rims...

... Ive heard horror stories about the Stan's rims and tire mounting. Any experience w/ this phenomenon?
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by tedroy
    ... Ive heard horror stories about the Stan's rims and tire mounting. Any experience w/ this phenomenon?
    Yep Stans Olympic and Schwalbe UST don't like each other at all, even with my Park Tool Metal levers it was a mission back in 07, needless to say that tire did not move and was sold with complete wheel

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just impulse bought this on a popular online auction site: Flux Frame

The price seems very good for what I got, but I didn't really know what the used Turner market was like. Did this come in way under-valued, or is there something I missed that is sending a red-flag up in anyone's eyes?

I've been collecting parts for a frame-up build of my first FS bike. I knew what would make me happy parts-wise, so I started there and was going to decide on a frame once I had the parts.

I rode a Burner a few weeks ago briefly, and liked how it pedaled. Other frames I had been considering were the SC Superlight, Giant Trance-X, and maybe a Rocky Mountain Element. The Turner/Titus/Ventana bikes were out of the price range I wanted to spend if I had to buy a new frame.

I ride mostly fast rolling singletrack, good southern US trails. Not a lot of rocks or big hit stuff.

Here's what I've got to slap on it:
    RS Revelation 426 DualAir w/ poplock and U-turn.
    Chris King Headset
    Race Face Deus cockpit parts
    Juicy 5's 160mm
    XTR 970 shifters
    XTR 970 Rear
    XT 770 cranks
    Sram 990 cassette, 991 hollowpin chain
    Thomson Post
    built up a wheel set of:
    Mavic 717 hoops
    DT Revolution spokes
    Chris King ISO Disc hibs

I still need a Front Derailleur, Seatpost Clamp and cables - I'll post pics when I get it all coming together. Hoping for something in the 28lb range, or is that wishful thinking?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Considering that you can get a $500 credit if you traded the frame in for a new one, you made out pretty well. The Flux is a great bike and it will be somewhere between 26-27 pounds with that build.

Enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member

Is it time to get a second part time?

Jaybo
    Jaybo, sorry to hear you are lacking some mula.

Damn! I just bought another bike! Oh, the frame was only $799 - SIR9

Cool, i am not a fool....
    Sit and spin my ass...

Members who have read this thread: 0