Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ga mtnbiker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11

    Alternatives for Romic/XCE

    Ok, I'm one of the "lucky" ones that got a no cost upgrade on the last production run of XCE's last year. Lucky that is until my Romic blew out and started leaking oil around the compression adjuster.

    Now 4 weeks after I sent it back to Romic for repairs, during prime riding season here in Georgia, I still don't have a shock. According to the reviews, lots of others have had this failure, but almost all seem to have a fast turnaround time on the repair. So much for Romic customer service.

    As I've stewed about not having a bike for the last month, I've considered having an alternate/backup to the Romic. Anyone with an XCE out there tried other 1.5" stroke shocks? I'm considering a Vanilla, but would be interested in possibly considering an air shock especially if I could pick up a used one for not too many $$$ as I'd still consider the Romic as my primary. At least until it blows out again.

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    I tried DGC's Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air on my Spot a while back and liked it a lot. I'd try one of those first. It was quite "Romic-like" in many ways. I have one on order but they aren't going to be shipped until June or something. Maybe you can find a 6.5" more easily than the 7.5" like I need. You may like it enough to make it your main shock.

    I am on my 3rd Romic in 7 months (not counting having to replace the upper eyelet bushing twice now also). Yes, failures and QC problems seem very common. Too bad, they are nice shocks when they hold together.

    Good luck,
    tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    Baked Alaskan
    Reputation: AK Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,813

    Agree on the swinger

    The swinger is a nice alternative until the Romic returns. I have one on my 5-spot and I'm liking it so far. I haven't ridden anything crazy, but from the looks of the terrain DGC rides, if it's been a winner for him it should do the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by silverxce
    Ok, I'm one of the "lucky" ones that got a no cost upgrade on the last production run of XCE's last year. Lucky that is until my Romic blew out and started leaking oil around the compression adjuster.

    Now 4 weeks after I sent it back to Romic for repairs, during prime riding season here in Georgia, I still don't have a shock. According to the reviews, lots of others have had this failure, but almost all seem to have a fast turnaround time on the repair. So much for Romic customer service.

    As I've stewed about not having a bike for the last month, I've considered having an alternate/backup to the Romic. Anyone with an XCE out there tried other 1.5" stroke shocks? I'm considering a Vanilla, but would be interested in possibly considering an air shock especially if I could pick up a used one for not too many $$$ as I'd still consider the Romic as my primary. At least until it blows out again.
    I had a Romic (no problems at all with it) - but I decided to send my Fox RC into Push Industries for the Vanilla RC Race System treatment ($165) - best thing I've ever done for my XCE by far - improved climbing (NO bob), improved trail riding - it's so good that my RFX got the same treatment (it also had a Romic) - superb! my RFX climbs like a hardtail, drops like a big-hit DH bike....

  5. #5
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,419
    I have been riding my Push'd Vanilla RC for the past week, and I am loving life! My XCE climbs (no bob, but extremely sensitive to little stuff) and descends far better than ever before. I'm waiting to get some more miles in on it before I give an 'official' review here, but so far I am extremely satisfied with the results.

    Last night, I was descending a burly rocky trail and I thought that I had flatted and my rear tire was low because it was so smooth It's going to take a little getting used to suspension that works!

    -Ryan

    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  6. #6
    Still chuggin' along
    Reputation: kpicha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    818
    With all these Push'd Vanillas, I'd love to hear if anyone has used both a Push'd Vanilla and a Romic that was tuned specifically for the owner. And if there's a big difference between the plain ol' R vs. the RCs. My Romic was tuned when I set it in for repairs back in Oct. and I'm wondering how much longer its going to last. So far so good, though.
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

  7. #7
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    Hey BX40, did you talk tuning with Darren, or just give him your vital stats (bike, riding style, weight, etc...)? I have heard talk of different "degree" shims he uses (1-3) depending on how much platform you want. Bulldog apparently ended up with something a little softer than he had expected. I was trying to gauge what degree shim people ended up with and how that related to the results.

    Also, what does the compression adjuster knob on the RC do now? Does it change the platform behavior in any way?

    Does it change the needed spring rate at all?

    Thanks for the update. My shock is going in this fall, perhaps Barny's as well.

    tscheezy

    One mo' thing: your shock stayed 1.75" stroke, right? I was wondering if he has to change any of the parts which make the shock a 1.75" stroke unit and replace them with more standard 1.5" stuff.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-30-2004 at 05:50 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  8. #8
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Hey BX40, did you talk tuning with Darren, or just give him your vital stats (bike, riding style, weight, etc...)? I have heard talk of different "degree" shims he uses (1-3) depending on how much platform you want. Bulldog apparently ended up with something a little softer than he had expected. I was trying to gauge what degree shim people ended up with and how that related to the results.

    Also, what does the compression adjuster knob on the RC do now? Does it change the platform behavior in any way?

    Does it change the needed spring rate at all?

    Thanks for the update. My shock is going in this fall, perhaps Barny's as well.

    tscheezy

    One mo' thing: your shock stayed 1.75" stroke, right? I was wondering if he has to change any of the parts which make the shock a 1.75" stroke unit and replace them with more standard 1.5" stuff.
    Hey Tscheezy,
    Yeah, I did speak to him about it before sending it in to him. He does have three different pistons dished at 1, 2, and 3 degrees, each giving an increasing amount of platform. I wound up just telling him my vitals, so that he would not let his judgement be clouded by my lack of knowledge about how each piston would feel on my bike.

    From what I understand, on his "Pro Pedal" conversion, the platform is purely dependent on choice of pison dish and shims - which is obviously factory set (no messing with it). Now, on my RC I have the blue compression knob. Darren said that this acts like a 'choke', which winds up affecting the low-to-mid damping. If you are familiar with damping curves, this would relate to the nose of the compression damping curve.

    In reality, so far my rides have revealed that the blue knob seems to affect how firm the rear end feels under pedaling. I know that the amount of platform should actually determine this, but dialing in 3-4 clicks makes a world of difference in how firm the bike feels under you. Keep in mind that I have about 5 hours of riding on the shock, so my experimentation is a bit limited.

    I'll keep you posted on this.

    By the way, it's still 1.75" stroke. One thing that I thought was cool is that Darren actually sends you back the old seals, vault housing, pistons, shims, etc. that were inside the shock.

    -Ryan
    Last edited by bikerx40; 05-01-2004 at 10:22 AM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  9. #9
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,419

    Some Push tuning answers...

    Okay, an update about my Push'd Vanilla RC. Since it had been a couple months since I had actulally spoken to Darren on the phone about the shock specifics, I wanted a little more info, so I emailed Darren. He replied within 24 hours (maybe they've got a little more help; or working 24/7) and gave me the scoop on fine tuning my shock in it's new configuration.

    After riding the new shock for a week and a half, I have been messing around with the different adjustments and wanted to find out for sure if there was anything different as far as set-up / tuning the compression and rebound. On my stock Fox tuned Vanilla RC, I had to run an overly quick rebound setting in order to prevent packing of the rear wheel over chatter and braking bumps.

    Darren said that the Push'd RC, the red rebound knob now controls only the low-speed rebound circuit- the compression and rebound circuits are now completely isolated in terms of adjustment (no cross talk, like stock). This is accomplished by building a high-speed valve stack, new digressive piston, and a one-way valve at the piston bolt. In terms of tuning, he suggested adding more low-speed rebound (red knob) for stability, since now it has zero effect on the high-frequency bumps.

    My other question had to do with the blue compression knob and the purpose that it now served on my Push 'Race System' shock. Darren confirmed what my initial experience had been about the blue knob affecting the amount of 'platform' (slightly). Basically, the blue compression knob still serves as a low-speed adjustment, and therefore, it will have some effect on the amount of platform as it gets turned in. However, dialing in the blue knob will have considerably less effect on the amount of platform than changing the amount of dish on the piston.

    Oh, I asked him about which piston/shim setup he used in my shock, and he wasn't willing to say due to the fact that it's a 'secret recipe' of intellectual information- which I completely understand given the competitive nature of this industry.

    Despite my initial tuning efforts (tuning the rebound knob like my old Fox - very quick), the shock rides so much nicer than stock. I am really excited to head out tonight and start slowing down the rebound for even more stability - it should add to the already 'glued' feeling that it has

    [size=2]-Ryan[/size]
    Last edited by bikerx40; 05-06-2004 at 06:14 AM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  10. #10
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    Excellent. That was what I was waiting for and definitely is the best technical explanation of the results yet. A big thanks. My RC will go in first thing in the fall when I get home. I have been riding my XCE more than the Spot recently... I love that bike!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  11. #11
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    With all these Push'd Vanillas, I'd love to hear if anyone has used both a Push'd Vanilla and a Romic that was tuned specifically for the owner. And if there's a big difference between the plain ol' R vs. the RCs. My Romic was tuned when I set it in for repairs back in Oct. and I'm wondering how much longer its going to last. So far so good, though.
    I have ridden a bit on a PUSHed Vanilla, thing is though it was on a 5 Spot, it was valved according to that rider says the owner. He loves it, I like it, but I also like my custom valved Romic too. I have 2 Romics, 1 is stock and 1 is softer in compression and different in rebound, they both have the big boy valve in them, I also have a 2004 Manitou Swinger 3 way air as Tscheezy mentions. Best I can say is the PUSHed Fox will likely outlast the Romic, based on the amount of problems everyone has had with the Romics it is worth mentioning, though I've not had any trouble with my Romics at all, they have been excellent for me.
    The Fox performance I felt was about the same as the Romic, but again it was not my own shock valved for me. So my input on the PUSHed Fox is limited at this time.
    For xc riding, I like the Swinger 3 way air the most, I will be running the Romics against it more now that the local trails are opening up from winter so more variety of rough rocky terrain to test with, I will also be testing an 05 Fox air shock soon, will be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Avid brake pad replacement alternatives?
    By jdcamb in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:39 AM
  2. Sunday River Alternatives?
    By upNdown in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 03:09 PM
  3. Campy 10 speed BB alternatives?
    By el Turtlehead in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:24 PM
  4. Hardpack- alternatives to Hutchinson Pythons
    By verslowrdr in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
  5. 2nd cracked Sun 0*XC - alternatives in red?
    By NuMexJoe in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •