mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Alps Holiday suggestions from Homers

For those that have been to the french alps where would you suggest going?

Im going for 2 weeks this summer, from the UK in my van. Im heading out for a weeks riding and have to drop my mate off at Bourg st Mourice for his toured bike holiday for the second week.

Was thinking of Les Gets and Morzine, but ive never been to either so any recomendations would be great! we are looking at camping. I then have a week of entertaining my girlfriend (non biker) for the rest of the week...

I ride a six pack/66SL forks, he is on a Cove Hustler/Pikes.
    We both have Full face helmets and Body armour...

(getting exicted)
    My Name is backwards, Who did that!!!

mtbr member
    Corcheval is a blast. I hear Morzine is killer too.

mtbr member
    I went to Les Arcs last year and it was awesome. Morzine and Lets Gets are pretty over run these days. I'm doing Verbier this year - can't wait.

Plenty of advise and info to be had over on the STW forum.

mtbr member
    Hi there,
    Morzine is still a great place to go (it is actualy where I live), specialy as you can easily ride from there to Switzerland or other places like Chatel or les Gets. There are also a lot of non-riding activitie and a good night life.
    I am a bike guide/coach there (http://www.ride-ability.com), so I'll be please to answer any questions you might have... you can trust me, I only ride Turner's!

mtbr member
    French guy here to answer your question!

The resort, "les portes du soleil" combine Morzine, les gets and Chatel as well. Very close to each other, and linked by lifts. Already a lot of Uk guys ride there.

On the other side of the mountain you have l'Alpe d'Huez and "les 2 Alpes" great place for DH and Enduro rides.

Further you also have an awesome landscape and playground in " La grave"

You will enjoy it for sure.

mtbr member
    Good to see that you enjoy a drink of Mutzig after a ride!I have enjoyed a few in Bar Robinson in Morzine.

mtbr member
    I've been to Morzine/Les Gets 3 times in 2 years - it's awesome. You won't be disappointed. This year I'm going to Whistler, but the plan had been to do a bit of an Alps Tour: spend a day or two in Morzine/Les Gets, Les Deux Alps, Alpe D'Huez, Verbier etc... basically take in all the hotspots. They hold the Megavalanche in Alpe d'Huez so one assumes it's good biking there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    if you are dropping someone off in bourg hang around for a few days and check out the trails at les arcs and surrounding area there are loads of great "off piste" technical riding that is off the beaten track. check out Ali and Ash at trail addiction for any trail advice, guiding or a complete holiday.

Personally i prefer les arcs to morzine and les gets as the trails there are a bit over run however if you are prepared to hunt around and pedal a bit aswell as use the lifts there are some great trails around les get, morzine, chatel etc.

if you are going for two weeks you could also head over to verbier or chamonix or alp duez, les deux alps.

either way the riding will be great.

mtbr member
    We're doing the Les Arcs/TrailAddiction thing this summer.

Morzine/PdS is fun, but it does get a bit overrun by English DHers. If you're going that way, I prefer Chatel - quieter and more "French". Also very easy access to Switzerland and some different, very good trails.

Chamonix is loadsa fun too. Not so well lift-served, so you have to be prepared to climb to get to the good stuff, but the singletrack is awesome.

As something slightly different, what about the Pyrenees? Very quiet, top notch singletrack, although again requiring a bit more effort on the pedaling part. We'r egoing for the 4th time in June with AQR. Luchon is a lovely town and Ian, Kate and Russ look after us *very* well indeed.

mtbr member
    Les Arcs >> Portes du Soleil, for sure. Unless you want to ride motorway DH tracks whilst working on your skills and dodging English riders literally every 10 metres of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    We're doing the Les Arcs/TrailAddiction thing this summer.

Morzine/PdS is fun, but it does get a bit overrun by English DHers. If you're going that way, I prefer Chatel - quieter and more "French". Also very easy access to Switzerland and some different, very good trails.

Chamonix is loadsa fun too. Not so well lift-served, so you have to be prepared to climb to get to the good stuff, but the singletrack is awesome.

As something slightly different, what about the Pyrenees? Very quiet, top notch singletrack, although again requiring a bit more effort on the pedaling part. We'r egoing for the 4th time in June with AQR. Luchon is a lovely town and Ian, Kate and Russ look after us *very* well indeed.
    I think Chatel is a bit of a pain to ride around really, if you are staying in the village you will have to get the bus (which doesn't work betwin 12 and 2 o'clock) to go to the bike park.

If you fancy having a go in the Pyrenees (great idea by the way ), you might want to check this out: perfect pyrenees
    It is the sunniest place in France, very fresh of MTB tracks and the accomodation is just amazing