Anytime. Anywhere.

Almost Turnerless

I bought a 5 Spot in 2003, then added a RFX in 06, and a Highline in 08. Yup, things got out of hand and then my wife got me an 11 Spot for XMas in 2012. I kept getting shorter stems and finally needed more reach so I recently picked up a Warden which easily covers all the riding I do. A couple of months back my 03 sold from. PM I got here and I decided to put the RFX and Highline on Pinkbike. They both sold yesterday and are gone today. My buddy is interested in my 11 5 Spot for his wife and when that goes I will be without a Turner. It will be weird not having one after all these years. The Warden is really the only mountain bike I need although I'm toying with the idea of an all mountain hardtail. We will see what happens in the future but I will always be a Homer. I googled 2006 RFX yesterday and a photo of my bike on my red leather couch popped up😓
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost Turnerless-image.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Traitor,go & burn your self!
    I am sure you will be back!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am going to punish myself with a big climb today.

mtbr member
    Gives you reason to justify the new RFX now .

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I too was Trunerless for a couple of months last year. Felt like I was missing a body part(no, not that one). Grew back the body part by purchasing a clearance Spot. Why 26 you ask? Hey, I just converted to 10 speed! I don't want to overwhelm myself with all this new technology.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I too will be almost Turnerless. The bikes Turner is building are no longer fitting my 2.04m length (lots of leg length) and desire for a longer reach. My '07 Spot will be around for back-up, but the main bike will be a Nicolai Ion16 Custom build. Apparently Turner is going more mainstream and is cutting down the extreme sizes as the largest sizes get smaller over the years.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    We will see what happens with the new RFX. If it's black and I stick green Knolly stickers on it maybe my wife won't notice😧

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Funny, I just realized I've owned exactly 2 Turner frames at any one time since 1998. At least one always built up and sometimes one hanging on the garage wall for a turn in waiting for the next new one. The Turner ride/quality/CS is one reason to hang on to them, the Turner4Turner program is another.

My cup runneth over
    Good points. I have had at least one Turner in the garage since 2004. Like 2xTurner I am riding the crap out of one and one is hanging up waiting to be built.

mtbr member
    In the last 12 years I've bought 5 new Turner frames and 1 used one. But currently not riding one. Hoping for a 150-160mm carbon release. We'll see what this unicorn really is soon I hope. I'm pleased to say there's a DW Turner 5 Spot in the garage though. My 12 year old son's !!!!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I bought a 5 Spot in 2003, then added a RFX in 06, and a Highline in 08. Yup, things got out of hand and then my wife got me an 11 Spot for XMas in 2012. I kept getting shorter stems and finally needed more reach so I recently picked up a Warden which easily covers all the riding I do. A couple of months back my 03 sold from. PM I got here and I decided to put the RFX and Highline on Pinkbike. They both sold yesterday and are gone today. My buddy is interested in my 11 5 Spot for his wife and when that goes I will be without a Turner. It will be weird not having one after all these years. The Warden is really the only mountain bike I need although I'm toying with the idea of an all mountain hardtail. We will see what happens in the future but I will always be a Homer. I googled 2006 RFX yesterday and a photo of my bike on my red leather couch popped up😓
    Neg Rep!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    We will see what happens with the new RFX. If it's black and I stick green Knolly stickers on it maybe my wife won't notice😧
    I looked on Knolly's site , The warden looks kind of Turner-like in the rear linkage . I see why you picked it now ,we have a downhill course about 1/2 a mile from my work here,(The NW cup is put on there) ,I see a lot of Knolly's go by on race day so they must be a good bike .

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The 4X4 suspension is very different than the DW but I like it. It needs the climb switch and the logging roads but once on the trail it feels great. The geometry is very different though. Steep STA, slack HTA, long reach, low stack, and a short seat tube. I have enough reach for a 35mm stem and more than enough room for a 150mm dropper. It is like it was made for the kind of riding we have here. A DW Turner with similar geometry would be amazing.

mtbr member
    A DW Turner with similar geometry would be amazing.
    That's what I wanted too, but alas I'll probably be Turnerless by the end of the year, having started off with two spots in the garage. I've loved my time aboard them both and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, maybe when the carbon Burner comes out...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can totally relate to this thread. Used to own an 06 RFX and an 09 Spot.

Had to sell my gear to due to financial needs. Swtiched first to a 27.5 Trance - while it rides well, I really miss the way a Turner rides. It just feels at home the moment you sit on it.

Definitely saving up to get back on a Turner in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There was a time when the wife and I had 4 Turners in the stable. Now we are down to just my 5-Spot. I fear that once I start looking for something to replace the Spot, we might be down to none. Hope the new 'RFX' is something that is worth a look!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    There was a time when the wife and I had 4 Turners in the stable. Now we are down to just my 5-Spot. I fear that once I start looking for something to replace the Spot, we might be down to none. Hope the new 'RFX' is something that is worth a look!
    With the arrival of my new Burner v3.1 this week and the departure of the Yeti my stable is back up to 4 Turners. 15yo on my old 2013 5 Spot which now sports Carbon wheels and my donor 2015 36 Talas, Wife on the 2011 5 Spot, and 10yo on the 2003 XCE. All running 1X with Oneup cassette and derailleur mods.
    Things will seem normal again.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    With the arrival of my new Burner v3.1 this week and the departure of the Yeti my stable is back up to 4 Turners. 15yo on my old 2013 5 Spot which now sports Carbon wheels and my donor 2015 36 Talas, Wife on the 2011 5 Spot, and 10yo on the 2003 XCE. All running 1X with Oneup cassette and derailleur mods.
    Things will seem normal again.
    Super Homer. Post a pic!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Super Homer. Post a pic!
    Once I get the new Burner built I will line them all up and do a Photoshoot!
    Jarret says Tues/Wednesday

mtbr member

Will be Turner-Less soon

Not totally Turnerless but just one less turner for me,
    I am going to get a great deal on another brand and I hope I won't be disappointed...
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 08-06-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    An old friend and his girlfriend (never met her before) came to visit, ride and enjoy our area this week. His GF was looking for a mountain bike and had been interested in my 11 Spot but she thought she might like a 29er or 650b. She tested 4 bikes on a beginner friendly trail nearby and in the end liked the Spot best. No surprise as the other bikes were Specialized, Trek, and Rocky Mountain. I was a little sad to see it leave but happy it went to a nice person and new friend. My garage is barren looking and for the first time since 03 I do not have a Turner, not even one. My buddy was riding his 1st generation Knolly Endorphin and really enjoying it on our trails.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Nothing sadder than an ex homer :-(

Guess that makes you homerless.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Once a Homer, always a Homer.

I still have that RED LEATHER COUCH!!! Only a Homer knows how cool that is.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    You may be Turnerless TB but you have the memories.......
    That is all that counts!
    Knolly is a great local choice!!
    but your choice of a red leather couch........that is a whole different issue

Besides Telebiker has had so many different bikes including Turners, I doubt he can remember them all........

I still have my first Turner which is a 00' RFX and it still gets out!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Once a Homer, always a Homer.

I still have that RED LEATHER COUCH!!! Only a Homer knows how cool that is.
    I stand corrected and in couch envy. A nice pair of black thigh high zip up boots would go well with that couch.

mtbr member
    Haha....I remember those days of homerness. Fun times. I have been Turnerless and even bike less for a few years now. (Financial reasons)

Here is one of my early Turners, I forgot what year it was. My first was a HL 5 Spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion