mtbr member
    Oct 2004

All Mountain Review and Question

The new All Mountain 1 has gone on two rides now. Performance wise, I'm stoked about every aspect. Air adjustability, progressive compression damping that can be tweaked on the fly, the lock down dealie, incredible stiffness, damping quality, etc.

It's a little longer than ideal for Spot handling, but I'm hoping to get ahold of a set of new rockers, since I believe they lift the back of the bike a bit, which should quicken up the steering a bit.

The Rub: The fork makes this unbelievably annoying clicking, clacking, clunking whatever sound any time you hit anything remotely sharp-edged at speed, especially multiple hits like roots, mini rock gardens, etc.

I'm betting -- and hoping -- that you die hard Marz guys have a solution.

Thanks!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you're talking about the 5.3" rockers, I didn't notice any difference in the angles when I change my 5.1 rocker for 5.3. Maybe there is a very small change, but sure isn't noticable.

I ride my Spot with a Z1FR (2003) I believe that the AM1 (in the 130mm mode) has the same A-C measurement as the Z1FR. I really like it at 130mm. You may, too.

KDK
    mtbr member
    I too get this noise but only when I am in the 'short ETA' setting. Otherwise the fork is magnificent and has eleveted my confidence to new heights !!! I

Lay off the Levers
    If the AM1 is really notchy and sticky you may need to have the TST cartridge bled. (Serviced) when air gets into the bladder it gets somewhat noisy and very notchy

If you are feeling/hearing a very sharp clank/clunk and sort of a rattle, check to see if your TAS adjuster on the bottom of the fork is still working. Sometimes it can unthread inside at full extention and seperate from the bottom of the TAS cartridge. It will make a horrible noise on sharp compressions. If it has seperated then knob will turn and click but not change the fork height. If this has happened you will need it serviced also. Unless you are handy with working on Zoke forks, then it's actually fairly easy.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey kosmo, my zoke forks occasionally make a clunking noise, could be too much rebound, not sure about the clicking/clanking noise, the noise I get is more of a clunk or knock. Try less rebound and see if it goes away, I've noticed it more during drops or when I'm getting full travel but sharp edged hits at speed or multiple hits like rock gardens would probably cause it too, the fork is not rebounding fast enough most likely.

banned
    what is the procedure on bleeding the TST cart? Is it much different from any others?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Everything is tight. Tried less rebound, more rebound. I'm at the short setting of 130 mm travel. Fork now has five hours on it, and the noise occurs more frequently now. It takes less of a bump. I would say that at anything over 5 mph (a guess), anything remotely sharp-edged causes the noise. Yesterday, my wife could here it when I was riding downhill behind her.

Since this problem existed immediately upon installation, I think I'm just giving the fork back. I'm not really into sending a brand spanking new fork in for service on day one!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    what is the procedure on bleeding the TST cart? Is it much different from any others?
    I recently changed the oil in the fork and the TST cart on my Marathon XC, the top cap/compression valve assembly came off the top of the cart. and you dump the old oil and cycle the rod a few times, I think the air and any oil in the bladder comes out at this point. There's a funky method for refilling the cart though, you fill it up and bolt the top cap/comp. valve assembly back on then compress the damper rod some(this forces oil into the bladder) then put a rubber band over the bladder to hold the oil in. Take the top cap assembly back off and refill the cart to the top and bolt it back together again. Remove the rubber band and make sure the cart will lock out. phew!

My fork feels better for sure, smoother, the oil was nasty after about 9 months of use and I think I might of had a little air in the bladder too.