Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Air Shock and Fork for 2011 Spot

Thinking of having an alternative setup for those those areas with no lift access, currently running Fox VAN 36 / CCDB but want to shed some weight but retain the plush feel for the downs. The RS Pike and Monarch Plus are high on the list, but what else should I consider?

mtbr member
    I had a float 36 and Push built Monarch Plus on my 11 spot, now on my Burner. the float, now fully broken in is smooth, and the Monarch is outstanding on the DW bikes.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    I had a float 36 and Push built Monarch Plus on my 11 spot, now on my Burner. the float, now fully broken in is smooth, and the Monarch is outstanding on the DW bikes.
    +1 for the Monarch Plus. And if you go with the 2014 Monarch Plus RC3, you won't need any Push treatment as it will outperform the Push version. (ask me how I know)

Order the Low Rebound and Low Compression tune and you will be good to go on you DW spot. (Archaic as it is)

mtbr member
    good to know, i would like to get one for my 12 sultan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    +1 for the Monarch Plus. And if you go with the 2014 Monarch Plus RC3, you won't need any Push treatment as it will outperform the Push version. (ask me how I know)

Order the Low Rebound and Low Compression tune and you will be good to go on you DW spot. (Archaic as it is)

Ok, I'll bite...how do you know?? I have a Push version on my Spot...and its pretty good but not as good as the CCDBA IMHO. I always looking for something better...so let me know.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    I'm not going to be much help, but I am running a push'd kashima RP23 HV (big-hit tune) and Lyrik Air on my '11 Spot. I like it, really plush for me, but sounds like you are looking for a more DH air setup.

The CCDB Air sounds like it'd be amazing on the '11 spot. I have a CCDB Air on my Canfield One and love it on that bike.

So I have to ask...the CCDB fits on a '11 spot? I had the impression the downtube didn't have enough clearance for piggy-back shocks. If it is OK for a '11, then damn I just might go that route myself.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a medium frame and it is tight, but I've not impacted the downtube yet. The CCDB Air won't fit the medium frame, although I am lead to believe it will fit the large.

mtbr member
    Just to clarify, my Spot is a 2012...no issues with fitting the CCDB air.

Cheers,
    John
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Ok, I'll bite...how do you know?? I have a Push version on my Spot...and its pretty good but not as good as the CCDBA IMHO. I always looking for something better...so let me know.

Cheers,
    "Ask me how I know" is a euphemism for I've had the opportunity to try most of the shocks out there.

I rank a stock 2014 Monarch Plus RC3 as the best, edging out the CCDB Air. (But the CCDB had more increments for tuning, which I didn't find necessary, but nice to have.) Followed by a 2013 Monarch Plus then the Monarch RT3. I was not impressed with the Pushed RP3, I thought it was no different than stock RP3. I also did a little experiment by switching a Pushed RP3 for my 06 Spot and the same shock from my 12 DW Spot. I found virtually no difference in performance. They should have been drastically different, the damping and compression should have sucked switching them as the suspensions are completely different, especially considering that these shocks were "customized" for the frames. So I'm not a big Push fan after this experience.

The newer Fox stuff I've not tried (Kashima CTD) so I can't speak to them. Maybe someone else has experience with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I run a BOS Deville and Vip'r and love it. Even thru the rough stuff it's super plush. The Deville feels like a coil. I was surprised at how light it is too.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Anyone have a line on where to get a Monarch + with the low tune?

mtbr member
    quick search and these guys came up........

RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Low Tune - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

mtbr member
    ebay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Anyone have a line on where to get a Monarch + with the low tune?
    Email these guys:

http://www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com/

Just purchased a mid/mid for my 08 RFX this was the only place I could get one at the time after searching for months.
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My 2011 5 spot now has a set of 150mm pikes fitted and they are by far the best upgrade i have fitted on to the bike. I have also got a 2014 Monarch Plus RC3 on order but Loco wont get that until late jan / early feb. I have not tried the shock but i have constantly tried to improve the stock RP23, along with having it PUSH'ed and so far i have never liked the feel. So i am basing the new shock choice squarely on umpteen positive reviews :-)

Yes, that's fonetic
    Thanks for the suggestions...Fanatik only has the 2013 in the low tune but they're looking into it and will be getting back to me.

mac, you got two forks??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2 forks?? you have lost me buddy. But it is early morning here and i have not had my coffee yet :-)

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by macthekife View Post
    My 2011 5 spot now has a set of 150mm pikes fitted and they are by far the best upgrade i have fitted on to the bike. I have also got a 2014 Monarch Plus RC3 on order but Loco wont get that until late jan / early feb. I have not tried the shock but i have constantly tried to improve the stock RP23, along with having it PUSH'ed and so far i have never liked the feel. So i am basing the new shock choice squarely on umpteen positive reviews :-)

I have 6 rides in now. And I can only say I am more impressed with the 2014 Monarch Plus RC3. Mine is the Low/Low tune. Your patience will be rewarded.

I think Push is now irrelevant (well they can still do a rebuild/service when needed quickly). I've always wondered why they don't to RS shocks anymore, I think I know why now after having ridden this shock.

Your comments about the new Pike indicate that this may also be the case for the new RS forks as well. That's my next purchase, a new Pike.

Cheers!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by macthekife View Post
    2 forks?? you have lost me buddy. But it is early morning here and i have not had my coffee yet :-)
    Just poking a little fun at how you guys across the pond pluralize your fork(s). I'd put a Pike fork on my bike while you install "a set of 150mm pikes".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Just poking a little fun at how you guys across the pond pluralize your fork(s). I'd put a Pike fork on my bike while you install "a set of 150mm pikes".
    Ahhhh getcha now :-)

GAME ON!
    will the 2014 monarch plus fit on a 2010 5 spot or am i out of luck with any of the cool shocks?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    if you have a large frame i would say yes it will fit. i ran one on my large 11, the 12 spot had the curved down tube for bigger reservoir shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    will the 2014 monarch plus fit on a 2010 5 spot or am i out of luck with any of the cool shocks?
    There is absolutely no reason why the monarch plus will not fit. The only shock that wont is the CCDB Air which is why Turner changed the downtube for 2012 onwards.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After a quick scan on the web I can't seem to find any lo/lo Monach Plus - can anyone point me at the correct option?
    Last edited by UK-FLATLANDER; 01-13-2014 at 11:32 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by UK-FLATLANDER View Post
    After a qui scan on the web I can't seem to find any lo/lo Monach Plus - can anyone point me at the correct option?
    At this point in time it would require buying a medium tune and replacing the parts with low tune ones. There is hope that SRAM will be building up some low tunes in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast