Lay off the Levers

Ahhha the simplicity of design

Man this thing must ride GREAT... cause it ain't goin nowhere on looks.
    Giant Reign style distant HL, Floating brake to the chainstay??? Interupted seat tube?? The midsection looks like a draino comercial gone bad.
    I'm having a hard time understanding how that seat tube/top tube section is supported well enough by that s-bend.
    Points for creativity I suppose

I really like Bianchi road bikes, and I think they're a good company, but year after year I always wonder what they were thinking with their MTBs.

To their credit they do have several conventional designs too.

Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-12-2006 at 07:49 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

what the?????

what in gawds name is this? camber adjuster? toe? caster? bump steer? or maybe just a nifty handle to carry the thing off the mountain when the seat tube assm breaks off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    [IMG]The midsection looks like a draino comercial gone bad.
    LOL
    Life....the original terminal illness

at least the grafics arent ugly as sin. i lied. theyre terrible.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    I'd buy it for the parts when it goes on clearance for 88% off at the end of the season. I'd also give Jayem the Manipoo to give it a werks tuning.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm having a hard time understanding how that seat tube/top tube section is supported well enough by that s-bend.
    It's supported by the shock. Duh.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

banned
    and you can drop that seat tube waaaay down. I don't see any design compromise there!

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    what in gawds name is this? camber adjuster? toe? caster? bump steer? or maybe just a nifty handle to carry the thing off the mountain when the seat tube assm breaks off.
    That is the illusive "THRONSROD". Many thought it didn't exist and was a little joke. But here it is after all these years.

banned
    I think the rocker angle, dropped HL, and Swinger SPV suspension front and rear indicates the design mission of this bike as small bump compliance.

Lay off the Levers
    If I recall the feedback I read, the dropped HL on the Giant made for a very stiff pedaling bike, and not much compliance. That kind of rocker angle always makes me think "waste of input" because the SS is almost parallel to the rocker. Something must get lost in the horizontal axis. (but I have no real knowledge of this) I just looks mechanically wasteful as it appears the SS is almost trying to lift the rocker at the pivot rather than push it up from beneath. *Edit: This is not an observation of rider/pedaling efficiency, just mechanical design.

I'm curious about the floating brake too, If it's a HL and a short travel HL to boot, how much benifit would a FB bring? Also binding it to the chainstay seems unconventional to me, or at least I can't remember seeing it done that way...But I haven't seen a lot of different implementations.

Looking at the "Thronsrod" (is that real or sarcasim? I have no idea) I can see the downward vertical component from the seat tube would push the apex of the S-tube forward so the TR would act as a brace but still, they could have just welded a fixed tube brace there. I can't see the value of floating the brace unless they want to preserve some kind of flex.

All in all it looks like a lot of effort went into creating that S bend or more likely that rocker location/position so it's either for distinction of design or characteristic of ride.... IMO anything that would require lowering the seat would be beyond this bikes intended design anyway.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-12-2006 at 03:10 PM.

banned

... and if we just ...

If I recall the feedback I read, the dropped HL on the Giant made for a very stiff pedaling bike, and not much compliance. That kind of rocker angle always makes me think "waste of input" because so the SS is almost parallel to the rocker. Something must get lost in the horizontal axis. (but I have no real knowledge of this) I just looks mechanically wasteful as it appears the SS is almost trying to lift the rocker at the pivot rather than push it up from beneath it.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    And did you see the next model down (LX level)

It has less travel in the rear, by using mostly the same frame with a shorter shock and different rocker, but you can see how the front slacks "nicely"

Lay off the Levers
    Yeah, at least the S-bend is really a braced, diverted seat tube rather than a total re-route.
    I can't get with a Fder on the bottom of the downtube. Hope it doesn't go around the underside of the BB. Besides getting hella dirty, it will catch rockstrikes on the cables and housing. Unless it stays on smooth, dry trails.

Custom User Title

Looking at the "Thronsrod" (is that real or sarcasim? I have no idea)
    It's about as real as muffler bearings.

maybe the shock is pre stuck down for yer convinience?
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Clear your pm box, BZ.