Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

After Sales Service

Wow
    I only learned on Monday that after only 4 months of riding on my 5 Spot my bushings were totally wasted. I immediatly contacted Casey at Turner and explained my problem.
    Today is Thursday and Mr. Fedex showed up in my office to bring me the replacement parts. Isn't that incredibly fast? By the way I live in Switzerland.

As my frame broke on my former Intense Tracer I had to wait 9 months to get a replacement.

Turner rules thank you.

mtbr member

how did you manage

to waste the bushings in only four month?
    In what terrain do you ride?

BTW I live in Saint Gall.

regards Bernhard

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    In 1 month...............how did you do that........

How long did it take you guys to get the frame. I just ordered one for my better half.

BTW me residence est Montreux.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    to waste the bushings in only four month?
    In what terrain do you ride?

BTW I live in Saint Gall.

regards Bernhard
    Hi Bernard

I often ride the Blauen rim which is a trails close to Basel. Is is pretty harsh with lots of stone and fast technical singletrail downhill sections. The stones are very slippery when wet and therefore you need to hit the back brake only. This causes a very strong force onto the the rear end bushing and I think that this might be the cause for the trouble.

However I check the torque settings of the screw every other ride and I lube the parts regularly.

The 5 Spot is a serious ride and the best bike I ever had. (I had about 8 mountainbikes - 4 full suspension)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi
    In 1 month...............how did you do that........

How long did it take you guys to get the frame. I just ordered one for my better half.

BTW me residence est Montreux.

Cheers,

I ordered mine from wrenchscience and it took about 4 days from departure to delivery to Switzerland. A friend of mine got his frame from 123bikes and it took him 6 weeks to get it to Basel. However there must have been a customs issue.

allways exhausted
    i just ordered a 5 spot myself and as i live in germany i'd also like to know how long it took you to get your bikes.
    i hope to do my "alpencross" in july with the new bike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Strange. There has to be something missing to the conditions. The Turner bushings are not known to be toast in that short amount of time. Perhaps they were a bad set to begin with, so we'll see what happens to the new ones.

What exactly did you see wrong with the bushings and which ones?
    I am talking of the bushing on the chainstay under the brakemount. Pushing the pedal I had a feeling of play in the BB. However sourcing down the problem I found that the screw in the left chainstay bushing is moving about 2-4mmforward and backward.

I think they must have been bad from the begining. As beeing a producer of goods myself I know that problems like this occur and I am happy that the level of service of Turner is excellent.

mtbr member

maybe post a picture?

so you have fixed the bushing & you are riding the 5-Spot again?
    Did you keep the worn bushing parts and maybe could post a foto of them?

With "Blauen Rim" you mean the "Blauen" in Black Forest or is this another swiss locality?

Bernhard

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzelflitzer
    so you have fixed the bushing & you are riding the 5-Spot again?
    Did you keep the worn bushing parts and maybe could post a foto of them?

With "Blauen Rim" you mean the "Blauen" in Black Forest or is this another swiss locality?

Bernhard
    I will do the replacement work this weekend and have planned to return the bushing to Turner for inspection. However if I happen to come across a digital camera I will take a picture and share it with you.

Gosh I am looking forward to ride my 5 Spot end of month in Ticino!

The Blauen starts from Aesch to Kleinluetzel and is around 30km long with 6-700m of elevation. It is pure Switzerland not Black forest Germany.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good to see that Turner really does back their products with the "best service committment in the industry". From your original post, it looked like you were implying that the bushings don't last long under your riding style, but I'm glad that got cleared up.

I'm sure that it cost more than the parts to FedEx it that fast to Switzerland. That's really expensive.

Lube the hell out of them on the way in and also make sure your grease fittings are clear. Some people have reported that their bushings block the grease fittings.

steve3

i am utterly happy with my 5 spot and think they have extremely nice products. I really appreciate the shipping via fedex and I will return the bushing to them so they can check and claim with their supplier.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel
    steve3

i am utterly happy with my 5 spot and think they have extremely nice products. I really appreciate the shipping via fedex and I will return the bushing to them so they can check and claim with their supplier.
    Muggel,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm impressed you got those bushings so quickly too. I'd guess Turner would like to have a look at them just like we would as it's pretty uncommon for them to blow so quickly. Like you said It may have been a problem from the start or a faulty part to begin with.

Sorry to hear it caused you time off your new bike...you must be pretty excited (I know I was, hell, I still am.) It sounds like you have some fun places to ride!

Just curious, what kinds(brands/models) of bikes do you usually see folks riding around your way? I would have thought it would be difficult to mail order a bike from the US. I know there is like only one importer in the UK, so I would think customs would prohibit mail-ordering to limit folks going around the approved importer, Is it much different in Switzerland?
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Muggel,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm impressed you got those bushings so quickly too. I'd guess Turner would like to have a look at them just like we would as it's pretty uncommon for them to blow so quickly. Like you said It may have been a problem from the start or a faulty part to begin with.

Sorry to hear it caused you time off your new bike...you must be pretty excited (I know I was, hell, I still am.) It sounds like you have some fun places to ride!

Just curious, what kinds(brands/models) of bikes do you usually see folks riding around your way? I would have thought it would be difficult to mail order a bike from the US. I know there is like only one importer in the UK, so I would think customs would prohibit mail-ordering to limit folks going around the approved importer, Is it much different in Switzerland?
    I assume that most mountain bikers in Switzerland ride either hardtails or bikes with up to 4" of travel. Weight always is an issue as most trails here have very long uphill sections. However I can see a tendency going onto longer travel bikes.

As a Swiss guy I name the Swiss brand first BMC-racing.com is a good manufacturer but you get basically everything here. Probably most people ride either Cannondales, Treks or specialized or Scott, but also German bikes generally are very good and liked. We do have brands like votec.de, nicolai, bergamont, rotwild...
    In any case there are a lot more than I have just named and as with you it is always a matter of preference.

To answer your question rearding the customs. There is no such thing as protectionism within the EU. As long as the buyer is contacting the seller in the US everything is ok.

mtbr member

difficult to mail order a bike from the US?

international mail oder from US (for example via mountain high cyclery or jensonusa etc.) has been efficient for me in the past. Especially the swiss turner importer is so expensive, that it is quite reasonable to pay shipping costs besides the US-product price (Swiss VAT equals app. US-VAT).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Fed Ex

is the shiznit! wrench science sent the bike from california on tuesday night and my bike is getting here on friday japan time. wich is thursday in california. I am american living in okinawa japan. there is no turner dealer here but, if there was I still would order from the states because bikes cost almost twice as much here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Lube the hell out of them on the way in and also make sure your grease fittings are clear. Some people have reported that their bushings block the grease fittings.
    Yes, it can be very hard to get the Horst links to take grease through the zerk. There are no channels machined in the shafts of that pivot. You pretty much have to take the pivots apart to do a good job in there. Still, that would be about the last pivot I would expect to develop play. Must have been something seriously out of whack on that one.

Good luck, and Berg Heil!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why is having one bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Muggel,
    I know there is like only one importer in the UK, so I would think customs would prohibit mail-ordering to limit folks going around the approved importer, Is it much different in Switzerland?
    Customs totally f*ck anybody in the ass if they go around the importer. I know for a fact that if ustoms catch you sneaking a Burner through it comes to precisely 40 ($80?)more than through the official importer.

I think most americans would be surprised how easy it is to get US bikes in Europe. Continental Europe is ofcoruse the cycling capital of the world Turner - it appears - are as good at making frames as setting up distributor networks. Even if there was a problem with a European Turner dealer their are no internal customs in the EU so one could be bought and shipped from the UK importer quite happily. Switzerland might not actually be part of the EU, but she is so small with such good links with her surrounding countries that one could I guess just pop over the border to order their frame if a problem arose.

As with all things in life, the best gets imported We in the UK get Turner, Intense, Surly, Litespeed, Tomac, Mountaincycle, Ellsworth.... You name it we get it. You in turn get Orange and Planet X

GSS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blippo_uk
    Customs totally f*ck anybody in the ass if they go around the importer. I know for a fact that if ustoms catch you sneaking a Burner through it comes to precisely 40 ($80?)more than through the official importer.
    Blippo I disagree. Customs have no idea what you are shipping in, they are not going to check what RRP is on the frame here. UK customs are no different from any other country. If you bring in back through the proper channel in the UK you pay 4.5% import duty plus 17.5% tax. If that works out cheaper then good for you. I had one of the first 5 Spots in the UK that came to me from WrenchScience via FedEx almost a year ago. I still saved muchos cash doing it that way. It's even more benficial to do it now with Exchange rates what they are the moment.

allways exhausted

I think most americans would be surprised how easy it is to get US bikes in Europe. Continental Europe is ofcoruse the cycling capital of the world Turner - it appears - are as good at making frames as setting up distributor networks. Even if there was a problem with a European Turner dealer their are no internal customs in the EU so one could be bought and shipped from the UK importer quite happily. Switzerland might not actually be part of the EU, but she is so small with such good links with her surrounding countries that one could I guess just pop over the border to order their frame if a problem arose.

As with all things in life, the best gets imported We in the UK get Turner, Intense, Surly, Litespeed, Tomac, Mountaincycle, Ellsworth.... You name it we get it. You in turn get Orange and Planet X

If only it was that easy ....

There is a turner distributor in germany but there is none for ellsworth for example and there is absolutely no dealer network so you have no chance of a test ride

(I ordered my spot some days ago and there is not a single frame my size and colour in the whole of germany!)

certainly you could deal via a distrubutor in the UK or Switzerland but that would not make any sense as the are EXTREMLY expensive compared to german prices (not to mention US MSRP)

By the way blippo, what about joining the european monetary union and abandoning the pound?
    Might make UK dealers affordable for continental european customers (yes, it is the cycling capital of the world, what else? )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

(I ordered my spot some days ago and there is not a single frame my size and colour in the whole of germany!)

certainly you could deal via a distrubutor in the UK or Switzerland but that would not make any sense as the are EXTREMLY expensive compared to german prices (not to mention US MSRP)

By the way blippo, what about joining the european monetary union and abandoning the pound?
    Might make UK dealers affordable for continental european customers (yes, it is the cycling capital of the world, what else? )
    I'm pretty suer I have only one of a few Blue 5 Spots in the UK. Apparently the importer doesnt like the colour...

As for dealing with the UK... Well thats life I guess. I was just talking about hypothetical ways one could get hold of a frame in Europe. As for joining the European Monetary Union I think that we will join when it suits us. Until then... To be fair at least you have Nicolai in Germany.

GSC:

You are wrong about customs. I know for a fact that a customer who shops at my LBS ordered a Burner and got stiffed to that amount. There are all sorts of tricks you can pull but UK customs know what they are doing and rip open all the boxes. For most cycle components when you add on all the duties the saving isnt actually worth the hassle.

That said, there can be a saving made on some components - especially supergo Burners

allways exhausted
    I'm pretty suer I have only one of a few Blue 5 Spots in the UK. Apparently the importer doesnt like the colour...

As for dealing with the UK... Well thats life I guess. I was just talking about hypothetical ways one could get hold of a frame in Europe. As for joining the European Monetary Union I think that we will join when it suits us. Until then... To be fair at least you have Nicolai in Germany.
    Burners
    just joking about monetary union. i'd keep my own currency too if i were you, at least after our own experiences with the Euro

are turners common in the uk? I haven't seen a single one neither in germany nor at lake garda in italy or anywherer else i've been biking

nicolai seems to enjoy a pretty good international reputation
    what about other german high end manufacturers like rotwild, votec or fusion?

allways exhausted
    so thats
    Too bad Nicolai isn't readily available in the US, except through Adrenaline Bike Shops.

Those are some really nice looking bikes and the 5 year warranty is a plus.
    the waranty seems to be a big point for many riders especially because nicolai ist the only german manufacturer i know whos waranty covers racing.

but in fact nicolais reputation on custumer service and especially quality is very heavily discussed in german bike forums and varies from great to desasterous depending on who you ask.
    Reminds me very much of what you can read in the ellsworth forum

a good friend of mine owns a lamda downhiller and had never any problems with it.

but most nicolais are very HEAVY compared to similar US Bikes. And reading through the forums that seems to be a much more importat issue to you in the US then over here

i thought about getting a nicolai helius fr for a long time
    the bike is quite similar to the 5 spot exept that nicolai claims it has 6" travel which i personally dont belive

what about the 5 spot? really or allmost 5" travel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nicola, Turners

Turners are not exactly common in the UK, but they enjoy great magazine reviews and everybody knows what a 5 Spot is. The huge price tag makes them less common

Nicolai would be common if any would actually get imported. They take up to 3 months with a custom paint job. Ouch...

My LBS is actually a Turner and a Nicolai dealer and I had the opportunity to sit on the Helius FR. It felt good, and my weight was on the fork for a very agressive ride. I almost bought one because i wanted the custom paintjob, but in the end I went for the 5. I don't think the Nicolai is 'much' heavier, its just they encourage heavy kit

In the UK I'd say the most popular brands I see on the hills are Specialized, Marin, Cannondale, Orange and Kona. May I also add that the British designed, Maverick equipped, Whyte 46 is the closest thing you can get to a 5 Spot in terms of all round brilliance. Shame it's so ugly...

Lay off the Levers

5 inches? Why yes. Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by newton

...what about the 5 spot? really or allmost 5" travel?
    I've seen a couple of posts from the more technical folks who measured it and confirmed it is a true 5" travel bike. (nothing more, but nothing less either)
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

allways exhausted
    [QUOTE=blippo_uk]

Nicolai would be common if any would actually get imported. They take up to 3 months with a custom paint job. Ouch...

QUOTE]

You can allways wait for your Nicolai 3 Months or longer (custom paint job or not) even in germany
    Nicolais waiting list is legendary..........
    They only manufacture on order, there is no stock

another reason for not buying one for me too

GSS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You are wrong about customs. I know for a fact that a customer who shops at my LBS ordered a Burner and got stiffed to that amount. There are all sorts of tricks you can pull but UK customs know what they are doing and rip open all the boxes. For most cycle components when you add on all the duties the saving isnt actually worth the hassle.
    That said, there can be a saving made on some components - especially supergo Burners
    I still disagree, are you telling me UK customs open every single box that comes through?

I got a deal on the frame for $1600. At current rates that's 885. (most people will discount if you ask).
    Add import duty (4.5%) = 920 + shipping (fedex 80) = 1000
    Add vat onto the total = 1175 = 424 less than UK rrp (almost 30% discount).

That's going through the official channels. If you can get away without customs (ie they are busy that day), it's going to be cheaper.

Get some components at the same time and you can save even more.
    Last edited by GSS; 05-07-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast