Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rolling

Aesthetics of a bike

I have to admit, I appreciate the looks of a bike and I find Turner bikes very aesthetic. Usually esthetics actually mirror functionality.
    For example, the DHR is beautiful.

But WTF is a company like this thinking in that regard? I went to get a pic of the ugly truss structure found in this brand of bikes but found the updated frame and it's an even better example.

Seriously, this looks like it was in a garbage compactor or a photoshop joke. Can you tell me if this is pleasing to the eye or even better, an optimal design for weight and strength?

But maybe my sense of good looks is skewed.

thats right living legend
    You obviously have a point, but I kinda like it. Even though it seems like I shouldn't.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...I'm pretty sure that's the result of being on CC's roof rack....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ha ha ha ha ha

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

You totally beat me to it, first thing that came to mind!

I agree w/ the OP, Turner does a superb job at keeping the aesthetics of the frame in relation, it looks good, works, and there is no waste.

Just roll it......
    As much as I've heard this bike rides super well, only one word comes to mind to me.

FUGLY.

No, that's not phonetic
    Me and BA- twins separated at birth? I sorta like the RM too.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hey!!!! i heard that! i cant even WALK through the garage without thinkin of that day. honest, it haunts me. is this the part of the movie where someone takes a hour from their life to find those old pics? i hope not.

as far as the rm goes, no, not the cleanest lookin frame around but it beats the crap outta so many others that suck to ride and break in half the 1st week out. these guys do a good job with production stuff and thats worth somethin. still, ill take a dhr please.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Um yeah I gotta agree with ya LD Im a real tradionalist when it comes to frame design!, Bikes for me have to look a certain way, though Ive had some innovative and at times unique frames & suspensions, ahead of there trime in there day! Lefty's 1.5 long before Manipoos etc
    I suspect its my road and motorcylce back ground but even road bikes I still prefer traditional triangles, thats just my quirks not right or wrong!

I love the DHR intially round tubes had me thinking I might miss something from the earlier square models but once I saw the first one built up it was love at first sight, I still feel that way, while I may never throw a leg over one, will be my biggest regret, it will be right up there, just like the c dream plus, 5spot/RFX early DH RFX's of course the Highlines lines really do it for me, then there are bikes like Kona Stab I loved the bad ass ugly look of that frame,Morewood Izumi, Honda Gbox, Yeti 303s 309s Lawills, I like Giants current Regin X its sloping lines like my ToP HT to dropouts are just sexy! HT DJ bikes in general, the Turner MTX frame is awesome looking frame and Ive always liked the look of the IH Sunday it just looks right as a DH race bike forget the linkages for a moment! The Sunn Radical is also a fav, just to name a few...

No doubt the Straitline looks allot better in the flesh often as frames tend to do, I was always a fan of the RM mainly I think cause Rithcie Schley and WADE Symonds imortalise the frame and its moto inspired linkage and massive single chainstay arms remind me of Moto X bikes!

Nice thread gets ya thinking about design and function
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

PSI
    I want that one

too much CAD

CAD is a good thing, but like all good things too much of it is bad. the down tube looks like the bilbao museum.

ever since SC lets the dogs out with the nomad, which was the first marketing-driven design, seems like all the other companies are busy playing catch up (think of the new 575). personally i like the functional looks of Turner and im sure that if they start adding marketing driven cad touches it will be done tastefully.

TLL
    mtbr member
    That RM is six shades of ugly. No, make that seven shades of ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey!!!! i heard that! i cant even WALK through the garage without thinkin of that day. honest, it haunts me. is this the part of the movie where someone takes a hour from their life to find those old pics? i hope not.
    Just one of the many reasons why I am getting rid of my roof rack and switching to this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Nicole? Papa?
    You can forgive me, cause clearly I'm new to the world of Turners, but I'm not particularly taken by the aesthetics of the DHR. What's worse, of the two, I actually like the look of the RM a bit better!

The way the top and down tubes meet on the DHR has a similar kind of look to the Ventana X5, which I also don't like.

Although before you shoot me, the DHR is the only model in the Turner line I don't really like the look of.

One bike I do like the look of is this:

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Me and BA- twins separated at birth? I sorta like the RM too.
    If I had a wider vocabulary and a bigger brain, we'd be virtually indistinguishable.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Just roll it......

Digging up an old pic

So, two things that strike me about the bike.

1. The yellow-orange color is hideous and the frame design isn't doing it any favors.
    2. It does look better fully built up.

Wade's proto last year during Crankworx. Not quite as fugly in full dress, imo.

Lay off the Levers
    +1 with BA and TS, even though I'm more frequently mistaken for SSINGA.

Eye of the beholder. I'd imagine many ppl would find it a cool alternative look.
    I also have an appreciation for Turner's clean lines.
    Transitions too.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Those flattened tubes and pre-kinked areas are supposed to be flex-zones (or pre-folded crumple zones for some ). Seems like the RM engineers spent too much time on the ibis forum.

At least they didn't bend the top tube up. Now that's retarded.

trail fairy
    Gonna post piccs posgt some good ones!

Thats yellow thing up tops is the strailline not an RM, I mentioned RM as it was the previous model with the thrust link, not a candle in looks on the DHR I just like its moto inspired design not looks and it probably wouldn't ride in the same league as the DHR either, wieght, accel, cornerin, but 2 different, goals!

Transitions are cool BZ
    This is one of the best DHRs though there are lots of worthy ones right up here with this!

MTX

Transition Blindside

Iron Horse Sunday

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Gonna post piccs posgt some good ones!

Thats yellow thing up tops is the strailline not an RM, I mentioned RM as it was the previous model with the thrust link,
    Whoah, back away from the pain meds, TA. This bike is called the Flatline and their previous big bike model was called the RMX.

The purported goal with moving away from the thrust link was to reduce weight, lower the center of gravity (by keeping all the suspension bits low on the bike), lower the BB and increase stiffness. Whether that's accomplished or not, the "crumple zones" don't do the frame any justice, imo.

Bite Me.
    Who could forget these beauties? Perhaps the ugliest mt. bikes ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Who could forget these beauties? Perhaps the ugliest mt. bikes ever.
    Are you kidding? Those are visions of beauty compared to CF's favorite models:

Vo Mit.

Outcast
    Cutty, I am offended. I owned a Joker! Of course, it looked better than that one.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Cutty, I am offended.
    Should I care?
    CF: "I've got two (2) words for you - NICOLAI!!!"
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Whoah, back away from the pain meds, TA. This bike is called the Flatline and their previous big bike model was called the RMX.

The purported goal with moving away from the thrust link was to reduce weight, lower the center of gravity (by keeping all the suspension bits low on the bike), lower the BB and increase stiffness. Whether that's accomplished or not, the "crumple zones" don't do the frame any justice, imo.
    Ahh yes thanks EB need that from time to time, little things like that Im having trouble with

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

AW_
    locked - time out

trek y-bike

someone finally did it.....................

gravity curmudgeon
    Yep. The understated styling of Turner bikes is appealing to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast