mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Advice on fork swap for my 08 Sultan

I have an 08 sultan with I9 wheels (currently 20mm front thru axle), and a White Brothers F135 fork with booster springs. I'm 6'4" and weigh about 215-220 geared up. I'm thinking about using this bike for some cross country races for fun. I'm thinking 120mm and a quick release would be better suited for racing. Any thoughts on the best fork for my specific needs and weight. Thanks!

mtbr member
    RS Reba Team 120mm on my Sultan with the 20mm thru axle...loved this fork. No need to get rid of the thru axle.

mtbr member
    Second the RS Reba Team @ 120mm + Maxle. I have the same wheelset paired with this fork and have been loving it, not upgraditis at all. FWIW I weigh roughly the same as you but am shorter ~5'11" (yes I'm fat). I raced the bike last season in XC and a few endurance events and was very pleased with the setup. I've toyed with the idea of dropping the fork to 100mm to speed up steering for XC events but for me I would lose some of the day to day fun of the extra slackness & travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Bite Me.
    let me know if you're thinking of getting rid of the WB fork - I may have place for it.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I race my Sultan on short XC and 100's with the Reba Team TA set at 120

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It sounds like the Reba Team 120 with maxle is the preferred fork. Why do most pick the Rock Shox over the Fox F29 120 with 15mm? I just did a search and read about a lot of people complaining of creaking with the Reba....doesn't make me too excited to swap. Cutthroat...I'll let you know if I decide to swap out the WB F135.

mtbr member
    mine doesn't creak.

mtbr member
    No creak here either. Many say will say this, but I really have been flogging the piss outta mine for about a year now. Basically I forget that my Sultan isn't my RFX sometimes.

I picked up the Reba because I liked the newer damper and wasn't sold on Fox's new 15mm "standard". The F29 is a great fork, the new damper rides quite nicely from the demo ride I had on one (this was a QR fork on a hardtail so no a direct comparison).
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

jrm
    mtbr member

F29 120 here

I thought the rebas dual air damper was a pain to set up. Reminded me of the white bros fluid 110 i had before. The fork has a nice stable feel to it. Set ups easy and even using a 9mm RWS theres min flex.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    I thought the rebas dual air damper was a pain to set up. Reminded me of the white bros fluid 110 i had before. The fork has a nice stable feel to it. Set ups easy and even using a 9mm RWS theres min flex.
    Once I set up my Reba it was pretty much fire and forget...never really had to take a second look at it. No creaks. No problems. The reason I chose RS over Fox is because the 15mm axle wasnt out yet for the 29ers and looking back im glad i grabbed the RS.