Thread: ad10 on burner

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm ad10 on burner

For you ladies or lightwt. burner riders, thought I'd post a blurb about my ride w/ the cane creek rear shock. Did my first ride w/ a used AD10 on my burner and really like it. (thanks james, rockers are next) Felt a little beat up on the stock propedal and like the small bump compliance on the cc. Though I may the the only odd ball out there, I can't say propedal was for me...maybe if the compression was too firm or maybe I'm too light for it, dunno. But, thought I'd chirp in and contribute...everyone has been super helpful to me in the past. Anyhow, it's a choice for a plusher ride. The new inserts ($20), bushings($5) and rebuild kit ($20) from Cane creek $45 total, I like their service so far. btw, this weighs 28.0....w/o slime. Dunno where everyone gets their scales at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice looking bike!

I rode my XCE w/ a Cloud 9, and I though I liked it at first I had trouble getting setting it up so that it wouldn't bob. When I did get it so that it wouldn't bob I had a pretty harsh ride. It's probable that my weight (~200 at the time) was causing some of the problems. Perhaps it works better for smaller riders?

BTW, I agree on your scale comment. I have my wife's burner set up w/ lighter parts than yours and it's 27-27.5 pounds. I see people w/ the same parts spec claiming that their bikes are sub 25 pounds.

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey, glad you're enjoying the AD-10, bike looks great. I think that the biggest difference the AD-10 makes is that it has more air volume, which allows you to set it up to ride more in the "middle" of it's travel. However, that result can be very weight dependent. I found it a fun shock to ride, but wanted to try an SPV or Propedal. I'm leaning the other way now, as our trails are very rough and the little bit of bob on climbs is nice for traction, so I might just run a Float (non Propedal) with an AVA sleeve.

BTW, you didn't get those parts to fix anything currently wrong with the shock did you? It should have been 100%, if not, let me know.

James

mtbr member

mods

Yeah, it bobs a little, like your clolud 9, but the ride is great for me. I will tweak w/ the compression to rid the bob a little more. I really wonder about the 3-way, I think the adjustable compression is the way to go. My old fsr was a bobbin' fool, this seems to be a good compromise.

jj-Nope nothing wrong, got the parts because the inserts were a bit loose in the bushings, cane creek said the inserts don't really wear, but the bushing do, only $2.50 a piece. So, I figured if I ordered something, may as well get the whole sha-bang. The rebuild is just a back-up, thing holds air just dandy. btw, found a used '03 romic to use w/ the rockers, I will have a xce setup whenever I find a correct spring for my weight. Anyone need a 600lb romic 6.5 x 1.5 spring?...wanna trade? I will need a lighter one, as I weight about 125-130ish...does anyone know what spring is recommended for my weight? I think TSchy's wife rides a xce and so does Kpischa. Is the spring wt different for a fox than a romic? I like it more soft than firm, so maybe 400 or even 350? <= do they even make this size? thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sweet ride. I used the Romic rockers with the Fox Float shock, but I should have tried it with the Cane Creek. The CC just seems to be able to be a little stiffer on the initial stroke for a snappier feel, yet still get full travel. This should be the result of the larger air volume. I'd bet that the CC would work well with the Romic rockers. If you try that setup, let me know how it feels.

James