Thread: 685 to 711?

mtbr member

685 to 711?

I want to try out a wider bar on my 2010 Spot. The bar I am using now is 685mm wide and the new bar would be 711. Should I go wider than 711? Wasn't sure how much of a difference 685 to 711 would feel like.

I realize bar width is largely personal preference but I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This is the best thing you'll ever do to raise your level of riding.
    I would say try a 711 to start with, then when you get used to it, see how it goes and then maybe try wider.
    I run a 710 on my spot and love it.
    Some people say wider bars are just trendy, those people are really dumb.

mtbr member
    Went from 685 to 720 a few weeks ago and love them. No downsides that I have noticed but a different feel to the bike that inspires confidence..Definitely give it a try

mtbr member
    I went from a 680 bar to 711, no going back

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I also went from 680 to 711. Great move and will never go back. You may also want to run a shorter stem when you make the bar switch.

mtbr member

Yes, Do It!

Went from 685mm to 750mm, love it, no going back. Only a few spots on the trails I ride where the width is a bit to wide to fit through, but other than that awesome! I say get wider than 711mm, that way you can cut them down to your preference.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Body structure(shoulder width) will impact optimum bar width.. if you go too wide, it could bother your upper back depending on your riding position. Wider bars offers more control. I went from a 635 to a 710 and then cut it back to 685 since it was bothering my upper back and I couldn't fit through many places where I ride.
    Give it a try, you can always cut it
    BBW. MS, RD

rr
    I don't do PC
    Not sure how much you will notice the diff, I run 711 bars and they work great for our trails here, wouldn't want anything wider tho with some of the trails I ride like Mt herman

mtbr member
    I appreciate all of the feedback! Ordered a 2011 Easton Havoc DH bar. It is 750mm wide but as several of you mentioned I can always cut it down to find the sweet spot if I need to.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here.

mtbr member

Check!

I also changed from 685 with 90 stem to 711 and 70 stem and all is good but a few tight tree moves that have been a little tricky!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    I appreciate all of the feedback! Ordered a 2011 Easton Havoc DH bar. It is 750mm wide but as several of you mentioned I can always cut it down to find the sweet spot if I need to.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here.
    Just my own personal experience but make sure you stick with the full length for a while. It might be easy to think you want to cut them down but if you give them a chance you'll probably keep them full length. I thought I was going to cut my right away by the way they felt at first but a few rides and many gnarly sections later I'm glad I kept them long. Mine are 765mm and I'm not a long armed guy by any means. You'll love them!

mtbr member

Do try!

I run a 745 sunline bar on mine and love it. I wish I'd made the change sooner. Lots more control and no noticeable difference in clearance of tight trails for me.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Shoulder width and whether or not you ride trails with lots of trees is what you should consider. If you are a big guy, your wide shoulders will have to make it through the trees anyway. So, you can get away with a wider bar. My buddies that ride the trees in Tahoe ride amazingly narrow bars.

rr
    I don't do PC
    exactly, wider is not always better