Thread: 66sl WTF

konastab805
    Aug 2005

66sl WTF

Hey i just bought a pack from jcarpenter, and im sooooo confused on what fork to get. I am now running a 05 junior t with the hscv damping installed (bacically a super t.) I dont really want to spend the money to get the new talas 2 for my bike, so i have narrrowed my search to 3 forks.

66 light eta
    66 sl
    z1 light

HOW DO U DO SOMTING TO DO WITH THE POSTIVE AND NEGIVTIVE AIR PRESURE IN THE 66 SL. Im super confussed on how you lock it down. Weight is a bit of a concern, but not that muck....id like to keep it as low as poss....Should i eliminate the 66 light eta because of the fact that it weighs as much as a frikking super t? I think... So if som1 can point me in the right direction on what fork to get......AND HOW U LOCK OR PUT THE 66SL DOWN.....TOOO confusing. Thanks - Oliver

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    eeeny meeeny miny mo............
    me being a pie muncher and having loved zocchi's for forever i'd go for the 66sl. but i'm not sure how that sits with weights etc.
    am at the moment running some shermans which i have modified (extra washer in the shim stack) and they feel as good as 66's!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKONARIDER805
    Should i eliminate the 66 light eta because of the fact that it weighs as much as a frikking super t?
    It's over a pound lighter than a super T.

You don't "lock down" the 66SL. You adjust the negative air pressure, and whatever travel you set it to is what you get, not adjustable unless you re-adjust the negative pressure.

The 66 light ETA on the other hand will lock down to about 2" of exposed stanchion, and leave a little bit of travel for climbing. This is a pretty radical change on the front end of the bike and makes climbing steep stuff much easier. It's about .75lb heavier than the SL model.

If my 66 light ETA did not have the ETA function, it would make a pretty big difference in how easily I can climb stuff and hang with my friends that don't ride bikes as big as the pack. I'd rather have a 150mm fork if I didn't have the ETA function, and the SL might work pretty well in that function.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

konastab805
    Aug 2005
    bump....how do change the negitive air pressure? Would u have to keep a shock pump in your backpack? I might get the light eta 66. Thanks....

Outcast
    konarider, do you know what a search is? It's a way to find out previously posted information. Especially usefull when the same questions have been asked many times, and people get tired of answering the same questions. I've done a search for you, the results are:
    Paging 66SL Owners!

Marzo 66SL Pos/Neg chamber relationship?

66 SL Oil Change

Van 36 or 66 SL for RFX - Waffling!

A 66SL and a Pack maiden voyage

Lay off the Levers
    Damm Renny, you went through all that searching and posting when you could have just told him the obvious:
    You don't need a shock pump to change the negative pressure, you can do it manually... just get on your knees, put your lips on the pipe, and blow.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    I've come to the conclusion that I'm a sensitive, remorseful Dick.
    Actually, I did that search for a guy a couple weeks ago. I just copied that post.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKONARIDER805
    bump....how do change the negitive air pressure? Would u have to keep a shock pump in your backpack? I might get the light eta 66. Thanks....
    You could also keep an air compressor in your backpack, but I'd advise against it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.