mtbr member

New question here. 66SL Owers: HELP

For those of you who have the 66SL front fork, what brakes are you using and how are they working. It's looking like my Louise FR brakes are not going to mount up to my new fork; Magura says they haven't had a chance to work with this particular fork-they're not sure if their set up will work.
    thanks, turtle as usual.

Outcast
    I use your standard hayes brakes, 8 inch rotors; I've had them for years, I know how to service them, they work, and are dependable. They are not cutting edge UGI by any means, but they're paid for.

not so super...
    The Juicy 7 works just fine on mine.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    For those of you who have the 66SL front fork, what brakes are you using and how are they working. It's looking like my Louise FR brakes are not going to mount up to my new fork; Magura says they haven't had a chance to work with this particular fork-they're not sure if their set up will work.
    thanks, turtle as usual.

I'm running Hope Mono m4's (8" front) and loving it. No squeal, just lots of modulation and power. I was a Hayes guy for about half a decade then decided to give the Hopes a try and am happy I did. I just ordered another set for another bike...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Hambone, what kind of rotors or those? Are they Centerlock or 6BC
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hambone, what kind of rotors or those? Are they Centerlock or 6BC
    Hope 6 bolt 2 piece. The center carrier is aluminum.
    Nothing to see here.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Do Juicys need an adaptor or just mount straight up(no chaser)?

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The Juicy 7 works just fine on mine.
    Any adapter involved for the 66? Guess I COULD click on over to the Avid site, but I'd rather stay here.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Hope 6 bolt 2 piece. The center carrier is aluminum.
    Thanks Ssinga, ya beat me to it! Yes, 2 piece hope rotors... In fact you can now get those rotors in different colors! The center pieces are available in all hope colors... BALINNNGGGGGG!!!!

Lay off the Levers
    Hmmmmmmm.......
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Well, now we don't have to guess what brakes 'Zilla will be rollin' on his RFX.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone
    Thanks Ssinga, ya beat me to it! Yes, 2 piece hope rotors... In fact you can now get those rotors in different colors! The center pieces are available in all hope colors... BALINNNGGGGGG!!!!
    I wish they did an Orange
    Nothing to see here.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Magura says they haven't had a chance to work with this particular fork-they're not sure if their set up will work.
    why wouldn't the magura post mount adaptors work?
    I'm assuming you would have to get the short leg calipers?

how about running a shimano caliper with magura levers?

mtbr member
    airwreck; I'm not sure what the problem is with Magura's adaptors, but yesterday I called and talked with Lonne, he told me their adapters will work on just about every fork except the new 66SL; he said they have not had a chance to develop one-yet. He said something about the way the post mount is designed-he said it's a different set up. (I'm cluless when it comes to mechanics). Lonnie said the Louise caliper and adapter might fit-but he wasn't sure. That said, the idea of running Shimano calipers/rotors with my levers Rocks-that's a lot better than having to buy leavers too.

I'm looking at the Saint brakes-I checked out a set last night and they were sweet; thanks for the idea.
    turtle

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Any adapter involved for the 66? Guess I COULD click on over to the Avid site, but I'd rather stay here.
    An adapter mount is needed for 8" rotors.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 03-10-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

mr. wonderful
    i have a maggy louise fr 210 on my 66. easy as pie, bolt and go.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    i have a maggy louise fr 210 on my 66. easy as pie, bolt and go.
    With no adatper???? Care to clarify (give us the adapter number, which year 66, which model 66, etc) or post a pic? Pre-06 66's used IS disc brake tabs, so that would not be helpful.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hope M4 200mm, manitou adaptor.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    With no adatper???? Care to clarify (give us the adapter number, which year 66, which model 66, etc) or post a pic? Pre-06 66's used IS disc brake tabs, so that would not be helpful.
    no, no, no! with an adapter from IS to post mount for a 210 mm rotor.

let's see. . . pictures, model #, adapter number, tab types--ten four, i'll get right on it. since i'm computer free at home, you'll have to wait until monday.

until then, yes, the fork is an 06 66SL with post mount. the maggy louise fr is an 04 (i think) with a IS caliper (i'll have to check the arm length) and an IS to post mount adaptor. the adaptor is intended to mount the caliper to a manitou sherman (i presume) with a 210mm rotor. i picked the brakes up cheap at greenfish, who were blowing them out because they didn't know that the 06 66s had gone to post mount.

i'll have adapter number and a pic monday.

and hopefully it doesn't snow in phoenix tomorrow.
    Last edited by dirtbag; 03-10-2006 at 05:27 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Well, if you started with a short-arm caliper, then this is not surprising as Maggie makes just such an adapter (#17). The question is if there is any way to do it with the long-arm calipers like Turtle has, and I think the answer is no, at least not with Magura parts.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I hate it when tscheezy is right-and that's just about all the time I called Magura again today and talked with Lonnie; evidently the short arm caliper and the post mount adapter-I think it's # 17 is what I need; we ordered it up today. In addition, I found out that Magura does make a post mount front brakeset that will bolt right up-it's a post mount Louise FR; the set will set ya back 230 buckos. Lonnie says I can run my 210mm rotor with the short arm caliper and the adapter. In addition, they told me I could probably get away with buying an adapter if I ran a 203 mm rotor-they said I'd have to use some shims. However, they wern't sure if clearance would be an issue down the road. I opted for the short arm caliper and the adapter. Once again, thanks to all of you. Hey, those 66SL forks sure looks sweet on those bikes.
    thanks,
    turtle

mr. wonderful
    correct. mine is a short arm caliper with adapter #17