mtbr member

66SL / Louise FR Adapter

I'm sure you guys already answered this question but I can't find the thread where you talked about brakes/adapters for the 66SL. I"ve got Louise Freeride Brakes, what do I need to hook up to a 66SL fork? The Louise FR braks are IS and the 66SL is a post/direct mount. The Louise FR's have 190mm rotors; do I have to order an adapter from Magura or is there another adapter that will work.
    thanks
    turtle

No, that's not phonetic
    Look at this thread.

You will need to determine which caliper style you have; long-arm (upper calipers) or short-arm (the lower 2 rows of calipers).

The Turner demo 6-Packs came with 210mm rotors up front, and long-arm calipers mounted on #15 adapters. There simply is NO WAY to mount that particular caliper on a Post Mount fork, period. You need a short-arm caliper.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan
    This may not help, but doesn't Maggie make a real post caliper???
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Holy Smoke!!! Just when I thought all was going smooth; so you're saying I need a different caliper or are you saying I need different brakes???? I hope Magura makes something for the Louise FR brakes, they're the best I've ever had. If I have to get brakes-what works as well as the Louise FR?????????

Thanks tscheezy; I have a demo just like yours-it came from the same show. I guess we'll be calling Magura tomrrow. Anyone got brakes for trade; Louise FR for?
    turtle

No, that's not phonetic
    AKChris, Yes they do, but again you have to buy a new caliper. As long as he has to buy a caliper, he could just buy a short-arm caliper and run a #17 adapter with his current 210 rotor. The PM caliper is only designed for 160mm rotors I think, and he would then have to find some other adapter (non-Magura) to find a way to bump it up to 210mm.

mtbr member
    thanks again guys, I'll call Magura tomrrow and order up the new caliper and 17 adapter-Whew-sure glad I didn't have to buy new brakes.
    turtle

~~~~~~~~
    what can one expect to pay for a caliper only?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    what can one expect to pay for a caliper only?
    Dunno, but be very prepared for sticker shock. Magura components are spendy! I get most of my Maggie stuff off eBay.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    AKChris, Yes they do, but again you have to buy a new caliper. As long as he has to buy a caliper, he could just buy a short-arm caliper and run a #17 adapter with his current 210 rotor. The PM caliper is only designed for 160mm rotors I think, and he would then have to find some other adapter (non-Magura) to find a way to bump it up to 210mm.
    Sorry to freak you out Turtle. I did say I wouldn't be much help...

Maybe its just Pack/66 jealousy.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    So many times I've asked questions on this site and got answers I didn't want to hear-but one thing for sure is the quality of the info has been over the top. No kidding, I totally appreciate the feedback I got tonight-now I know what to say when I talk with Magura. I think it was JNC that said the Saint brakes were good-looks like I better start looking around.
    turtle

No, that's not phonetic
    Turtle, I've been thinking. The postmount adapter #3 which lets you run a 180mm rotor with the short-arm caliper should also work with a 200mm rotor if you used your long-arm caliper. The diff between the long and short arm calipers is that the long-arm lets you run a 20mm larger rotor without an adapter than the short arm. The adapter is pretty cheap and you should be able to find a 200mm rotor to try without too much trouble. Magura does not make a 200mm rotor (they make 190 and 210) so they don't offer this combo as a solution.

Just a thought as it may save you a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Right you are, thanks. I seem to remember the tech at Magura telling me something about being able to run a 203 mm rotor and that they didn't carry them. I had the shop order a short arm calipter and # 17 adapter last Friday. They were supposed to send it three day UPS but it did not show up yesterday or today. I hope it shows up tomrrow. I'm going to make a prioity to put a second bike together buy the end of the summer-getting caught with no ride is no fun. Thanks for the suggestions; you guys should open a bike shop-you do excellent work
    turtle