Thread: 66sl help!

mtbr member

66sl help!

alright guys....66sl came in today. Very burly fork for a single crown. very stiff.
    I was wondering if you other owners could post your setup PSIs.

Left side:
    Positive PSI -
    Negative PSI (to control height) -
    PAR -

Right side (RC2/rebound side):
    Positive air -
    RCS compresion (#OF CLICKS) -

I weigh in at 185lbs.

The fork is pretty sticky out of the box. Also the protective cap on the right side was on soooo tight (I think it was cross threaded) some of the threads were ruined trying to get it off. How hard was it for you to get that cap off?

Thanks in advance...I look forward to your responses.
    TG

not so super...
    I can't comment on PSI until I get an accurate pump. I have 5 clicks of Compression and 10 rebound clicks.

It is a very sticky fork when new. Besides use, I have found the Finish Line stanchion lube to be very helpful in keeping it smooth during break-in.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    G-AIR, we're the same weight, so our positive air settings will be similar, but your negative setting will be dependant on how much travel you want to set up the fork for, I have found so far that for 170mm of travel, 75 psi in the negative. 150mm of travel, 150 psi in the negative. 130mm of travel, 200 plus psi in the negative.
    Positive chambers, I'm currently using 45 to 50 psi. I'm using zero psi in the PAR chamber for now. No compression clicks till I get the fork broken in; I currently can't feel the difference in compression clicks with the amount of stiction I have.
    I had no issues with my protective caps. Sounds like whoever assembled your fork may have been in a rush. I would inspect the threads under magnification if possible to determine if there is actual thread damage, and if so, comtact marzocchi, and politely tell them that their goons f#cked up your cap!

mtbr member

Thanks guys

Thanks Renny,
    Very useful info.
    So are you putting 45-50 PSI on both positive air springs/
    Or is the right side an air preload? WHen I put 45 PSI in both legs it way too stiff. The PAR seems like a great feature. I look forward to experimenting with that.

Thanks again for the info.
    TG

Outcast
    G-AIR, put the same amount of positive air in both legs. There is no preload air, positive air is your main spring, in both legs. If 45 is too much, back it off. My first rides were at 35 pounds, since then, perhaps from break-in, I've upped the psi.

mtbr member

Copy!

Sounds good. I just talked to the Marz tech. dept.

Obviously you are correct. Same PSI in both legs. He also recommended positive PSI x3 for full travel and positive psi x4 for 150mm travel.
    Example:
    170mm
    40psi positive
    120psi negative

150mm
    40psi
    160psi negative

He also recommended 10psi min. in the PAR cart.

Another little trick he had was to file the threads off the adapter, then put the o-ring back on. Then you just stick it in and the o-ring seals it. Kind of a quick fill adapter so you don't have the thread and unthread every time.

Cheers,
    TG

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...I would recommend leaving the PAR empty until you get it broken in a bit. The more travel you utilize in the break-in period, the shorter the time frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...any more thoughts, G-man?

mtbr member

getting it dialed!

JNC,
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I was going to post a nwe thread on my findings, but this is better.

Where to start...the fork is killer. Very adjustable, very stiff, needs a good braking in. I have taken three rides on it in the last week+. The first ride I went with full travel..just tried to get a feel for the fork. It was a tad steep for all around trail riding, but killer on the downs. I then set it at about 160mm....this seems pretty good for all my general riding. I will probably leave it around this height for a while.

The adjustability is pretty amazing. Right now I am running about 40psi in the +. and about 150-. The PAR is pretty cool. 10psi and it totally stiffens up the end of the stroke. I am going pretty minimal on the PAR for now. The compression adjustment is wide open for now. I will make changes as the fork breaks in.

Now for the bad news. It made my Romic rear shock feel like a noodle. I have had good luck with my Romic and no complaints, but the 66sl just made the rear feel sub par...like it was far more linear and not as controled. What to do? Now all I can think of is buying a new rear shock.....ROCO? Avy and CCDB just too pricey. No Fox products for me. I am almost tempted by the PEARL.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...any more thoughts, G-man?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    JNC,

Now for the bad news. It made my Romic rear shock feel like a noodle. I have had good luck with my Romic and no complaints, but the 66sl just made the rear feel sub par...like it was far more linear and not as controled. What to do? Now all I can think of is buying a new rear shock.....ROCO? Avy and CCDB just too pricey. No Fox products for me. I am almost tempted by the PEARL.

What do you guys think?
    G-Air, why no fox products?
    The limited feedback on the roco right now has been good, but I've only read a couple lines of it, including Darren at push Industries typical three word sentence.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    JNC,
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I was going to post a nwe thread on my findings, but this is better.

Where to start...the fork is killer. Very adjustable, very stiff, needs a good braking in. I have taken three rides on it in the last week+. The first ride I went with full travel..just tried to get a feel for the fork. It was a tad steep for all around trail riding, but killer on the downs. I then set it at about 160mm....this seems pretty good for all my general riding. I will probably leave it around this height for a while.

The adjustability is pretty amazing. Right now I am running about 40psi in the +. and about 150-. The PAR is pretty cool. 10psi and it totally stiffens up the end of the stroke. I am going pretty minimal on the PAR for now. The compression adjustment is wide open for now. I will make changes as the fork breaks in.

What do you guys think?
    Good thing you didn't post a new thread - Zilla is tired of the 66SL posts

There are 2 Avy DHS shocks on Ebay (sold by Avalanche) for $449
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalanche-DHS-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

10psi in the PAR makes for a very abrupt ramp-up doesn't it?
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Good thing you didn't post a new thread - Zilla is tired of the 66SL posts

There are 2 Avy DHS shocks on Ebay (sold by Avalanche) for $449
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalanche-DHS-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

10psi in the PAR makes for a very abrupt ramp-up doesn't it?
    Carefull, some gravity dropper guy might come over to this 66SL thread and try to hijack it!
    SSINGA, thanks for posting that avy-ebay link. They have two dhs shocks in 8.5 by 2.5. I didn't need to see that.

mtbr member

replies!

Renny,
    As far as the Fox products go...I have just never been really stoked on their products. They never seem to fully deliver. They seem to be at the top of the price scale as well, and then you want to send them to PUSH....with all that said I do have my eyes out for an older Vanilla RC that I can send to PUSH..Those seem like the best deal going.

SSinGA...yeah its crazy how much the fork ramps up with inly 10psi in the PAR
    Also thanks for the AVY link...those are very tempting.

Thanks Guys.
    TG

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    SSINGA, thanks for posting that avy-ebay link. They have two dhs shocks in 8.5 by 2.5. I didn't need to see that.
    I'm here to help!
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    G-AIR, I did ask the e-bay seller, who is avalanche downhill racing, if the revalving of the dhs shock was included in the $449 price, and I just heard back. Yes. So it is a pretty good value, $150 off the regular price, and it's built just for you. That's tempting. A roco at full retail is $400, as is a fox DHX, which would need to go to push to get the high speed issues fixed, at a price still unknown, but you know it's going to cost more than the most expensive vanilla rc service. Then there's the CCDB at $$$$$$$$$$. So, getting an rc and getting it pushed will be the least expensive route, but I don't think it will come close to the avy. I've done the pushed rc thing, but never tried an avy. Hmmmmmm, $450 bucks [plus shipping].......hmmmmmmmmmmm. You guys aren't helping me here, I don't need any help with my bike spending problem.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    G-AIR, I did ask the e-bay seller, who is avalanche downhill racing, if the revalving of the dhs shock was included in the $449 price, and I just heard back. Yes. So it is a pretty good value, $150 off the regular price, and it's built just for you. That's tempting. A roco at full retail is $400, as is a fox DHX, which would need to go to push to get the high speed issues fixed, at a price still unknown, but you know it's going to cost more than the most expensive vanilla rc service. Then there's the CCDB at $$$$$$$$$$. So, getting an rc and getting it pushed will be the least expensive route, but I don't think it will come close to the avy. I've done the pushed rc thing, but never tried an avy. Hmmmmmm, $450 bucks [plus shipping].......hmmmmmmmmmmm. You guys aren't helping me here, I don't need any help with my bike spending problem.
    You don't want to be off-the-back do you?

see...we didn't need any of those GravityDropper wusses to hi-jack the 66 thread, we managed all by ourselves.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    You don't want to be off-the-back do you?

Touche' SSINGA.

Outcast
    I need another shock like I need another hole in my head for all my common sense to drain out of. . Actually I committed to a path that I will see through; I sold the dhx air to buy a dhx coil to get the push treatment. If, 6 months or so from now I find myself disappointed with that shock, and I have some coin, I may do the avy thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0