It's a Turner!

66SL fork problem

While I was in the NC mtns giving my pack a serious workout, I noticed that my 66SL only had 5.5" of stantion exposed instead of the 6.25" I had set it to before. Fork still performed fine but when I got home I put the shock pump in the negative chamber and all this oil started to come out, like about two or three tablespoons full. I guess some oil leaked over into the negative chamber, reducing the volume and hence the travel. So do I have to take it apart? Should I try to order a new seal kit? I am afraid to look inside this beast. Help me.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    While I was in the NC mtns giving my pack a serious workout, I noticed that my 66SL only had 5.5" of stantion exposed instead of the 6.25" I had set it to before. Fork still performed fine but when I got home I put the shock pump in the negative chamber and all this oil started to come out, like about two or three tablespoons full. I guess some oil leaked over into the negative chamber, reducing the volume and hence the travel. So do I have to take it apart? Should I try to order a new seal kit? I am afraid to look inside this beast. Help me.
    ...the dopio cart is sealed. If you have oil in the neg. chamber, a seal will need to be replaced. The cart can be serviced by the consumer with a little knowhow...

No, that's not phonetic
    My 03 Z1 SL did that too. Funny they have not done anything to address the issue in all that time. I would measure the exposed stanchion about once a week and flip the bike and bleed the oil out of the neg chamber occassionally.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    My 03 Z1 SL did that too. Funny they have not done anything to address the issue in all that time. I would measure the exposed stanchion about once a week and flip the bike and bleed the oil out of the neg chamber occassionally.
    ...well, they have purportedly redesigned the cart to resolve the issue. In all honesty, it is an easy job to swap out the seals. I would utilize Tscheezy's advice, order the seals & when you grow weary of draining oil or the situation worsens....open the cart & make it right. It is likely the bushing/ seal that holds the damper rod.

No, that's not phonetic
    The good thing is that the leg with the neg cart is not the leg with the critical oil height for bottoming protection. You can overfill that leg by a good 20cc (in my SL anyway) and have plenty of spare for a year's worth of neg chamber drainings.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The good thing is that the leg with the neg cart is not the leg with the critical oil height for bottoming protection. You can overfill that leg by a good 20cc (in my SL anyway) and have plenty of spare for a year's worth of neg chamber drainings.
    ...well, true...mostly. The dopio cart does have a pretty large volume & fills a good portion of the stantion leg. Plus, the PAR (on the 66SL) really does a superb job of preventing harsh bottomout. You can pretty much just fill the right leg with enough oil to facilitate the RC2 cart working properly & let it be.

It's a Turner!
    It has since bottomed out though. Not harshly, but it didn't do that before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    It has since bottomed out though. Not harshly, but it didn't do that before.
    ...since the PAR is a function of the dopio cart as well, it will also likely be affected by the bad seals. I would give tech dept. a call & talk to Ronnie or Mike.

It's a Turner!
    I talked to Mike I think. I'm going to have to send it to Marz for service.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...since the PAR is a function of the dopio cart as well, it will also likely be affected by the bad seals. I would give tech dept. a call & talk to Ronnie or Mike.