Living the Dream

66 SL ATA RC2 Question

So, I just got this beutiful fork bolted up to my Turner, and I have a few questions. BTW, I already read the thread started by Knolly on the Shock Forum. How does the RC2 air pressure work? I can't find anything in the manual or the Zoke website. Anyone have any recommended pressures for it. Also, my fork feels a little notchy (spelling?). Is there a break in period or is it supposed to be butter right out of the box? Thanks for any help.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Alpen- I can't answer you question about air pressure since I have an 66 RC2X, but I will say mine was quite sticky from the box, and the spring made a funky top out noise for the first ride or so. I was assured it was normal from the guys on here. Right now it only sticky a touch the first time I push it down.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    So, I just got this beutiful fork bolted up to my Turner, and I have a few questions. BTW, I already read the thread started by Knolly on the Shock Forum. How does the RC2 air pressure work? I can't find anything in the manual or the Zoke website. Anyone have any recommended pressures for it. Also, my fork feels a little notchy (spelling?). Is there a break in period or is it supposed to be butter right out of the box? Thanks for any help.
    great question

i now have 4 rides on mine as of this morning (about 75 miles worth) so it is pretty broken in. To your first question, dont expect butter right away.

i have settled on what I deem the 123 method. Now that it is broken in it feels perfect and i am pretty comfortable with my setup. The 123 corresponds to (top right fork leg) : (top left leg) : (PAR or bottom or left leg). Since I have settled on 60 PAR (fill up first by the way), the ratio then corresponds of course to 40 top left and 20 top right. This, for whatever reason, seems perfect for me now so perhaps if you are heavier (or lighter) adjust accordingly as a starting point and maintain the 1:2:3 ratio. For what it is worth, i weigh 175 lbs.

the fork is PSICK!

i also dialed in the DHX Coil pretty well where yesterday i was sort of bumbing on the climbing of the bike....no longer the case. i am really digging everything about the bike.

cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 11-26-2006 at 04:38 PM.

mr. wonderful
    I just got a 66 sl ata last week and was able to put 50 miles on it this weekend. yeah, it is still a little notchy feeling at the very top of its travel after sitting for a while. after one compression its gone.

I've been riding an 06 66sl for a year and have been very happy with it. after 3 rides on the 07 though, I can say it is absolutely incredible.

I'm 165 lbs. and I started with 60 psi in the left leg, 65 in the par, and 5 in the rc2. it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed more in the par and I knocked it up to 85. from what I can tell, air in the rc2 will most directly firmness at the top of the travel. the par, on the other hand, not only adjusts bottom out like the 06, but appears to adjust progression. I am going to try a little more air in the rc2, maybe 10 psi.

my only beef is either through vibration or cycling through its travel the ata will adjust itself down in its travel. anyone else experience this?

mtbr member

07 66sl

I can't comment on set but,I can tell you this fork for me has been a out of the box dream fork.The ride is just so sweet.Yes its better than the 06 model. Good luck.

trail fairy
    Also, my fork feels a little notchy (spelling?). Is there a break in period or is it supposed to be butter right out of the box? Thanks for any help.
    AP yep thats the break in feel for the 66, my 66 RC2X was the same and others Ive talked too on the trail say the same thing, Ive found it best to leave the fork alone maybe rebound until its broken in as everything changes each ride, unfortunately my dials were played with and Ive had a heck of a time since, but thanks to Ryan cheers buddy I think we have it sorted again.

I was having a serious clunking sound on big hits, but we seem to have fixed that proper tunning fingers crossed, not sure if jumping off the deck was a big enough test

66s rule period for me (as I always thought it would) love my fork, I have wondered now if I should have gone SL 07 but I can't fault the RC2x for what I want it for going BIG
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Team Sanchez
    Hey RJ, I find after a long descent some times that my ATA lever has made a full turn on it's own sometimes. From measuring the stanchions before and after, it looks like only a matter of 1/8th inch lost. No biggie for me. I just reset the ATA before every ride.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Time is not a road.
    I don't put any air into the RC2 side and I don't feel any notchiness or stickiness at all. I settled on 110 psi in both the Positive and PAR chambers. If feels great - small bump, big bump, whatever. I did add a couple of clicks of compression for the long DH stuff. I found that the RC2 side adds quite a bit of stiffness to the initial compression.

Living the Dream

Thanks FO and CO.

I'll try your suggested settings and see how the fork feels after break-in. I gotta give my Turner some long over due love as my Niner SIR SS has been getting all my attention lately.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

I'll try your suggested settings and see how the fork feels after break-in. I gotta give my Turner some long over due love as my Niner SIR SS has been getting all my attention lately.
    seems like a LOT of variability in what people are doing for sure. good news is that regardless, people seem to love their fork.

as for your 29er, those are for small-weenied insecure males who like to say "kiddie wheels" to make themselves feel better about their small-weenied life

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey RJ, I find after a long descent some times that my ATA lever has made a full turn on it's own sometimes. From measuring the stanchions before and after, it looks like only a matter of 1/8th inch lost. No biggie for me. I just reset the ATA before every ride.
    mine is making several turns, even down to about 6". at first i thought i was retarded and didn't adjust the travel to 7". then it happened again, and again. i even tried to force it tight open (counterclockwise) to see if that would hold it, but it still snuck down. i think i'm going to have to resort to riding one handed while i hold the ATA with my left

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    i think i'm going to have to resort to riding one handed while i hold the ATA with my left
    Hmmm... I wonder if you could prevent travel loss by preventing the ATA knob from turning.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Hmmm... I wonder if you could prevent travel loss by preventing the ATA knob from turning.
    well, I haven't actually seen it turn. that would be almost as challenging as trying to hold it. actually, full travel is parallel with the crown and it does end up in a different position, so it must be turning.

maybe chewing gum.
    the ata indents are pretty solid and I would have never suspected that it could be turning on its own, but it is.

i will need to check mine after hearing these reports...hmmm. nothing a little duct tape (white) cant take care of.

mtbr member
    I gotta give my Turner some long over due love as my Niner SIR SS has been getting all my attention lately.
    ...good thing for me...I can love my 2niner & my Turner all at the same time

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i will need to check mine after hearing these reports...hmmm. nothing a little duct tape (white) cant take care of.

Why white, the crown is black. Im glad you guys are liking this fork. I may be riding one sooner than I think.

29 some of the time...
    What is the word on this turn-down issue? Are your ata knobs still spinning?

Team Sanchez
    I haven't even tried to remedy my ATA knob turning issue. It turns so little, that after an hour ride, I am only missing out on 1/8 inch of travel, or one half turn of the knob. No biggie for me. I still love the fork. I've got about 30 hours or so on it now, so I want to do an oil change soon.

mr. wonderful
    i've got it under control. if you pull the cap of the ATA cartidge, you'll find two small screws to adjust the firmness of the ATA detents. it is a trial and error process, but i set mine about as stiff as i could and still adjust the travel.

i'm digging the fork too, but still playing with it to find that magic air pressure combo. i'm currently trying to keep the PAR just about 10 psi greater than the ATA positive (top), and the RC2 very low (65/55/10 for my lame a$$ 170 lbs.)

the ease of making almost on the fly travel adjustments is very cool. normally i run about 6" on my 6 pack. for extended downs, i'll knock it up to 7". occasionally i'll even put it all the way down, like i did to play on this tight switchback. i doubt that i could get this turn at 7".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Sanchez
    This new trail we've been riding lately(Barrel rolls) is best ridden with the fork all the way down. Mellow climb with switchbacks, and fast descent with big S-turns. That is really the only time I run the fork in a setting other than full travel. Man I love this fork.