Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

650b Ti Turner?!? You're Joking, Right?

Nope. NTP bikes, a customer builder in SF, took a 5 Spot rear end, a Fox fork, and built Ti front triangles (with a 1.5" HT)

In a 5" variety:

And with 4" of travel:

mtbr member
    Ti and full suspension. Never understood the need.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    You know, I've wondered why DT never partnered with another company and sold rears to them, sort of like Sherwood of Ventana does.

Do these keep the Turner bushing systems? Zerks and seals? The biggest problem I'd see is getting the mains to be stiff, like the rears. Plus, they aren't going to be lighter than the Al counterpart, but it's a nice deal for someone who has a rear and wants to do something special and different.

BTW- did they blast the rears to get a satin finish?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I think the front and rear ends were both blasted to have a more matte finish. The finish on the Ti was not smooth (it reminded me of the ano finishes on my Pivot or on a Santa Cruz).

I couldn't tell if it was using the standard journal bearing setup, but the pivot mounts on the frame looked different than on the Al Turners. Much more minimalist.

mtbr member

I like it

If my 03 front triangle ever gets damaged beyond use I'll look him up

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep... that's officially the first 1.5 titanium headtube I've seen. Awesome!

trail fairy
    Specc wise I love it,

What I don't like and maybe its the way Ti is worked or put together !

The taco looks cheap, the turner way is much nicer or even dare I say it I prefer the way Nicolai do there tacos, couldn't see why Ti could not be done like that!

The HT idea is sweet but again maybe it a Ti weld thing, but the lack of bracing at the HT DT junction makes it look out of wack, Cdale make massive welds then buff them in to be seamless to the HT and DT and TT all look part of the same, not like a Beer can was mounted up front!

LOL to me nice concept but not executed right, no hate jmo and maybe due to the material e.g Ti..

Ive just seen 1.5 done better and same with the Taco, for the cost it better look right to me anyhow, but nice share and cool to see someone take it a step further!

I would love to see 5Spots with 1.5 and ISCG regular so we can config setups we all like, this would allow options without adj shock pos or dropouts to change Geo Wheelbase and BB etc, just thinking out load
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Ti is addictive
    I like my Ti EG much better.........my 1.5 HT been around since 08 and the welds and seat brace are way better as well.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    incidentally, who makes those little kickstands holding those two bikes up?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Nice, I like how it looks, super clean, no gussets, nice routing. And the kick stand is cool too.
    Drink beer all day

~~~~~~~~
    the question is the pivot locations, DT is very particular about this and I would assume unlikely to share the precise locations, and I'd assume they would need further tweaking for the 650b wheel size. The big wheels and ti frame won't compensate for sub optimal pivot placement, wheel path, etc.

mtbr member
    Its a Topeak FlashStand, goes for around $25. Got mine at Performance but I'm sure others carry them. Works well if you just want to get the rear tire off the ground...
    Last edited by Kenrow; 04-25-2010 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yha it is like the carbon FS bike. FS bikes are supposed to be stiff not flexy like Ti, Steel, Carbon. Although a burly Ti frame would be sweet, and also very $$$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX
    Yha it is like the carbon FS bike. FS bikes are supposed to be stiff not flexy like Ti, Steel, Carbon. Although a burly Ti frame would be sweet, and also very $$$.
    Carbon is as flexy or rigid as you design it. I wouldn't class it in the same category as Ti or Steel.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    Carbon is as flexy or rigid as you design it. I wouldn't class it in the same category as Ti or Steel.
    Ti or Steel frames are also as flexy or rigid as you design them. For that matter the same can be said for wood, copper and dried pasta. They may end up being heavier though! FS frames are generally made from aluminum because it is the most cost effective material that yields a quality frame. Machining titanium for all the brackets and bits is too expensive. I bet it would be possible to build a full Ti DW 5-Spot and have the weight be very close to the stock frame. Every part of it would need to be optimized for titanium and It would be very expensive. It would last a long time though! Ti would be my pick if I needed a frame to last a lifetime.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside!
    Ti or Steel frames are also as flexy or rigid as you design them. For that matter the same can be said for wood, copper and dried pasta. They may end up being heavier though! FS frames are generally made from aluminum because it is the most cost effective material that yields a quality frame. Machining titanium for all the brackets and bits is too expensive. I bet it would be possible to build a full Ti DW 5-Spot and have the weight be very close to the stock frame. Every part of it would need to be optimized for titanium and It would be very expensive. It would last a long time though! Ti would be my pick if I needed a frame to last a lifetime.
    Its ok I do know my materials engineering

As you suggest a FS frame will need to be stiff so that the suspension can perform properly, and light weight. Light and stiff is easy to do with aluminium and carbon, but its hard to to do with Ti and Steel where to match the stiffness there is a comparative weight penalty.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Gorgeous

I wish Turner would make a 650B model. It would be cool. That bike is gorgeous.