mtbr member

650b Burner Front mech and headset arrghhhh my head

Just ordered a Burner and see the front mech on the site says Top Pull Bottom swing Traditional clamp..what the hell is one of them .....cant see that description on any of the shops sites i use ..a link to one would be great so i can see what it looks like..ive not kept up with all the different ones for a few years

also are the cane creek 40 series headsets any good it seems turner spec them but i live in muddy wet England so wonder how well there sealed compared to Hopes..

TA CR
    Last edited by CragRat; 02-07-2013 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    would be great if someone could tell me from here what i need, i have a Revalation 150mm tapered fork to go on.

40-Series

Cane Creek F&Q's say... Please note: Nominal insertion bore depth for 44mm head-tubes is 9mm. EC44/40 requires an insertion depth of 15mm.

is the Burner reamed out enough to fit that depth as i think i need EC44/40 lower cup

argghhhhhh how out of touch with stuff i am these days..cant figure it all out....

Thanks in advance..CR

Committed
    If I were mostly riding in wet weather I would want the 110 headset, not the 40. The 40s hold up pretty well as long as they are not exposed to a lot of mud and water.
    The ream depth is fine on the Burner, no worries there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat View Post
    would be great if someone could tell me from here what i need, i have a Revalation 150mm tapered fork to go on.

40-Series

Cane Creek F&Q's say... Please note: Nominal insertion bore depth for 44mm head-tubes is 9mm. EC44/40 requires an insertion depth of 15mm.

is the Burner reamed out enough to fit that depth as i think i need EC44/40 lower cup

argghhhhhh how out of touch with stuff i am these days..cant figure it all out....

Thanks in advance..CR
    Ok here we go, I have also just purchased a new Burner. So here is what you will need. The cane creek 40 head set uses the same bearings as the 110. I am not sure of how well they seal. If you go with the cane creek it takes a ZS44 short cover top and a EC44 bottom. If you go with Hope it would be a Hope 2 on top and a Hope H on bottom. Here is hope's link, http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ETS2011Web.pdf. I am going to run a Chris King Inset 7.
    As for the front derailuer I am using a Shimano FD-M981 XTR. It has to be modified to clear the dw link. Here is the link from Turner's web site.
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/turner-pd...h_frdermod.pdf. Hope this helps you out.

Committed
    The 40 and 110 headsets do not use the same bearings. Same size, different constrution. 110 bearing last nearly forever and the 40s do not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    The 40 and 110 headsets do not use the same bearings. Same size, different constrution. 110 bearing last nearly forever and the 40s do not.
    I stand corrected.

~~~~~~~~
    I admit to being out dated and lazy too, so another headset question. If I want to use a flush/internal lower cup what are the options? Does it require a straight steerer? Will bearing life be compromised? That's been my experience in the past with the smaller bearings needed for a flush lower. TIA

mtbr member
    It would be best to contact Turner on that. There might be an issue with the fork crown contacting the frame. I just went with what was recommended.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No problem with crown hitting using a 36 type fork and ZS headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For the UK I would suggest finding a bearing which uses Stainless steel bearings (or ceramic I suppose) helps to stop them turning into a red crunchy mess if/when water gets past the seals. Cane creek 110, Chris King and others. I used Acros for my Burner.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    No problem with crown hitting using a 36 type fork and ZS headset.
    I want to one of the 27.5/34/160 forks and keep the front as low as possible.

mtbr member
    Thanks All much appreciated..got me tempted with the 110 now...argghhh..

If i camp outside my bike shop and continuously look for the postman will my frame come quicker...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    @CragRat: Since you're in England - why not just go with a Hope-HS ? For your tapered fork that would be the ZS44/28.6 (Hope: 2) for the top and the EC44/40 (Hope: H) for the bottom.

And because it came up: With the 44-headtube you will always need an EC-bottom for a tapered-steerer fork. With a straight 1 1/18" you could use a ZS if there's enough clearance with the frame.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Child View Post
    And because it came up: With the 44-headtube you will always need an EC-bottom for a tapered-steerer fork. With a straight 1 1/18" you could use a ZS if there's enough clearance with the frame.
    Thanks, assuming there will be straight steerer versions of the new forks then I'll just need to decide what I'm willing to give up, tapered rigidity, bar height, travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Could be difficult to find a traditional 1 1/8" fork for 650B / 27.5" ... looks like the FOX 34 is only available with a tapered steerer.