Rides like wrecking ball

650b on an '01 RFX?

I think I've seen snowbike setups of these old Turners running 26x3.0" tires. Would a 2.25 or 2.35x650b tire fit my old sled? I'm coming down with a [mild] case of upgrade-itis it would appear. Can't go whole-hog on the Burner at this time but I love big 'ol wagon wheels.

Will 650b fit my Domain as well? It clears a very knobbly 26x2.7" WTB just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member

Good question

I have on 02-03 six pack prototype that has massive tire clearence and I've been considering the same option; Wonder if my float 32 150 will fit a decent tire...?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If the rear triangle dimensions did not change you should be good. I have seen a 650b'd 2004 RFX on the 650 Forum and the 650bplace link lists the RFX as 650 compatible.

650B Palace: 650B from 26" Convertible List

mtbr member

interestin option

Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    If the rear triangle dimensions did not change you should be good. I have seen a 650b'd 2004 RFX on the 650 Forum and the 650bplace link lists the RFX as 650 compatible.

650B Palace: 650B from 26" Convertible List
    I tried the Intense Tracer 275 and it was much more fun than my Tracer 29 so I'm pretty certain I'll make the leap to 275 at some point. I've only been on my 29 for less than 2 months so my wallet hasn't recovered from that hit yet; perhaps converting the old Route 66 will soften the blow, then when the money is available I'll have the necessary parts on hand to eqip the new frame. I'll have to cal Mr Turner today and see if he remembers if the dimensions are the same or at least servicable for 275, and ask if running a 7.875 X 2 rear shock in place of the 7.5 X 2 stock unit will keep the rear tire out of the seat tube. Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Post up when you have made the conversion. If you don't have enough clearance, I think you would be able to use a reducer to decrease air volume to increase ramp up in the rear shock as a way to avoid tire/seat tube contact. If you can, give the Burner a try for comparison to the Tracer.

mtbr member

I tried the Burner

Post up when you have made the conversion. If you don't have enough clearance, I think you would be able to use a reducer to decrease air volume to increase ramp up in the rear shock as a way to avoid tire/seat tube contact. If you can, give the Burner a try for comparison to the Tracer.
    Very flickable but unlike the DW Sultan and 5 Spot that I demoed in the past I was unable to find a happy adjustment on the Rockshock equiped Burner, I'm going to reserve judgement on the Burner until the Large volume Fox shock and 34mm fork are on a demo burner. I've enjoyed every Turner I've ever ridden (except the Foux bar Sultan that was too big for me) my test ride makes me believe the Burner will be perfect for my riding style and size once the shocks are correct. I would have bought a DW Sultan but I'm too short for the smallest they make.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It will be interesting to hear the reviews from those who have ridden the Burner before and after the mods. The Burner is definitely going to be a great choice for a lot of riders. I'm looking for a new ride as well but Turners have an exceptional feel that make it hard to warm up to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Very flickable but unlike the DW Sultan and 5 Spot that I demoed in the past I was unable to find a happy adjustment on the Rockshock equiped Burner, I'm going to reserve judgement on the Burner until the Large volume Fox shock and 34mm fork are on a demo burner. I've enjoyed every Turner I've ever ridden (except the Foux bar Sultan that was too big for me) my test ride makes me believe the Burner will be perfect for my riding style and size once the shocks are correct. I would have bought a DW Sultan but I'm too short for the smallest they make.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I think I've seen snowbike setups of these old Turners running 26x3.0" tires. Would a 2.25 or 2.35x650b tire fit my old sled? I'm coming down with a [mild] case of upgrade-itis it would appear. Can't go whole-hog on the Burner at this time but I love big 'ol wagon wheels.

Will 650b fit my Domain as well? It clears a very knobbly 26x2.7" WTB just fine.
    my first generation TNT six pack has tons of tire clearance,although I used it on my Sultan and not on the pack.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

I hear you on the upgrade-itis. I love my '01 RFX but wonder about a new ride often. This might just be the ticket though to extend some life into the old rig while trying something new. I'm running a 36 Talas and my shop mechanic told me I have room in the fork for 650b as long as I don't go too tall on the tire. So if the rear fits (appears to have room) that would be great. I'd prefer to keep my avy shock on the bike if possible (7x2.25) and am ready to shim it down to 7x2 or slightly less if needed to prevent seat tube contact.

mtbr member

Turns out to be a poor choice for conversion for me

My Route 66 is marginal in standover with 2.4" X 26" tires and a float 32 150 fork, if I raised it 3/4" with wheels + the 275 fox 34 fork and the 3/8 longer shock I'd be singing saprano at first dismount so this conversion is out. I bet the conversion would work on my old Foes Fly how about a 7" 275? All I need is a matching fork.. maybe the 180 single crown Fox would have the clearance for a sizable 275 tire.