It's a Turner!

6-Pack: To steelset or not?

I checked the database and many of you are using the CK steelset and others just said Chris King so I am not sure. Is a steelset recommended? I don't intend to land or crash fork first but you know how that goes. I know that once that sucker goes in it's pretty much permanent.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    I checked the database and many of you are using the CK steelset and others just said Chris King so I am not sure. Is a steelset recommended? I don't intend to land or crash fork first but you know how that goes. I know that once that sucker goes in it's pretty much permanent.
    I used one because I had one. The headtube is fairly beefy and unless you are going to be using it as a hucking bike I'd say it is not needed.
    Nothing to see here.

It's a Turner!
    I always try to get something in every ride. Nothing over 4 - 5 ft. Maybe more depending on the transition. I will hit stairs though.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I used one because I had one. The headtube is fairly beefy and unless you are going to be using it as a hucking bike I'd say it is not needed.

Bodhisattva
    If you're not awkwardly landing nose first off 5 foot drops then the steelset is a bit overkill on the Pack. Getting it installed is no problem but removing it later is a beyooootch.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member

steelset

The steelset is a good fix for a slightly olvalized headtube, and from what I've been told it is a permanent install. I talked with the guys at Turner about the steelset, they did not recommend it (they said that they have never been able to remove one). People have been using the regular nothreadset for years, even for DH. King made a damn good headset the first time around. The steelset is overkill IMO. Personally, I wouldn't install anything on one of my frames that was permanent...how about a permanent crank & bb, well you get the idea.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My RFX came with one, but I already had a alu. king headset so I didn't want it.

So I called turner to see what they thought- Casey said that it was the only headset they would suggest if I planned on using any single-crown 6" fork. And that's with the RFX's thicker headtube!

In the end, it was a moot point because the headset was already installed and it was a package deal. Also, these days lots of people are using a 6" bike for trail riding, whereas in '02 you can bet most RFX's were mostly getting hucked. I bet you would be fine without it.

Having said that, I have had frames with ovalized headtubes bfore and you are SOL. There's just no good reason not to get one- think of it as insurance on your head tube!

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    If you're not awkwardly landing nose first off 5 foot drops then the steelset is a bit overkill on the Pack. Getting it installed is no problem but removing it later is a beyooootch.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Having said that, I have had frames with ovalized headtubes bfore and you are SOL. There's just no good reason not to get one- think of it as insurance on your head tube!
    True enough.

― Albert Einstein

not so super...
    True enough.
    To appease my inner "weight weenie" I run just the steelset cups and use a Alu top bearing cap. It adds some color too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSINGA; 10-10-2005 at 10:24 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Interesting we got different advice! I called them when I bought my frame, that was feb. of '04, I spoke with Casey....

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably just get an FSA pig DH, great headset and 1/6th the price of a king.

Quote Originally Posted by mike67
    . I talked with the guys at Turner about the steelset, they did not recommend it (they said that they have never been able to remove one). .

It's a Turner!
    How hard is it to ovalize a headtube? Can it happen with one bad landing? Or is it something that happens over time?

My RFX came with one, but I already had a alu. king headset so I didn't want it.

So I called turner to see what they thought- Casey said that it was the only headset they would suggest if I planned on using any single-crown 6" fork. And that's with the RFX's thicker headtube!

In the end, it was a moot point because the headset was already installed and it was a package deal. Also, these days lots of people are using a 6" bike for trail riding, whereas in '02 you can bet most RFX's were mostly getting hucked. I bet you would be fine without it.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikesalot
    How hard is it to ovalize a headtube? Can it happen with one bad landing? Or is it something that happens over time?
    It can happen either way. And it would be pretty hard, although not impossible, to do it to a 6-Pack. The Pack/RF6 head tube is pretty darned burly.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Interesting we got different advice! I called them when I bought my frame, that was feb. of '04, I spoke with Casey....

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably just get an FSA pig DH, great headset and 1/6th the price of a king.
    When I talked with the Turner guys, it was about a year ago concerning my 2002 RFX. It maybe that the steelset is a better match for the 6-pack. The RFX headtubes were not reamed deep enough to handle the deeper cups on some of the newer headsets. I couldn't even use the FSA pig dh (the cups would not seat properly). If King would make a steelset with a little less cup insertion, it would be easier to remove, and would probably have close to the same protection against ovalization.

mtbr member
    It can happen either way. And it would be pretty hard, although not impossible, to do it to a 6-Pack. The Pack/RF6 head tube is pretty darned burly.
    ....actually, this is a pretty common MIS-conception. Ovalizing the HT is more a factor of compressing the material (think squishing it) from the inside, than deforming the overall shape. The 1.5" standard displaces the force over a greater area of material & that is what decreases the likelihood of ovalization, it wouldn't matter if the HT on a 1.125" was 4 feet thick!!! Once you reach a certain thickness for a given material, you can rule out shape deformation....but, the materials ability to be compressed (squished) is another characteristic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike67
    If King would make a steelset with a little less cup insertion, it would be easier to remove, and would probably have close to the same protection against ovalization.
    I wonder if anyone has taken aking steelset, popped it in a lathe, and machined off some of the cup that gets inserted to achieve exactly what you are talking about. Yes, it would void the warranty, but from my understanding the frickin things are in a frame for life anyhow, so cant see how you could get it warranted........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    To appease my inner "weight weenie" I run just the steelset cups and use a Alu top bearing cap. It adds some color too!

Now we have a $250 headset there.......

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Now we have a $250 headset there.......
    Blinging ain't cheap!!

Did I mention the orange top cap too?!
    Nothing to see here.