Giant Robot
    Nov 2004

6 Pack shock question

The Six Pack uses a 7.5 i to i shock with a 2 inch stroke. What would be the consequences of using a 2.25 inch spring on this shock? I'm obviously not expecting more travel, I just have a Ti spring in 2.25 stroke on my Heckler that I would prefer to transfer to the frame I buy next (either a 6 pack or a Nomad). Would this work? FYI, I'm already leaning toward the Pack, so no real need to convince me on the frame purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My "old" RFX came with a 2.29 spring.

Should not be a problem using that at all.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    The Six Pack uses a 7.5 i to i shock with a 2 inch stroke. What would be the consequences of using a 2.25 inch spring on this shock? I'm obviously not expecting more travel, I just have a Ti spring in 2.25 stroke on my Heckler that I would prefer to transfer to the frame I buy next (either a 6 pack or a Nomad). Would this work? FYI, I'm already leaning toward the Pack, so no real need to convince me on the frame purchase.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hi!
    yes it will work !
    it's even better to have a spring with a longer stroke than the shock !

so u can preload it a little more
    the spring will bottom after the shox ! => so NEVER

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    My DHX came with a 2.3 spring, and the heavier spring I replaced it with (after talking to Fox' UK importers, Mojo) is also 2.3. So yeah, it will work
    I haven't fallen off, I'm just having a rest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Check the ratio

The 6 pack has a 3:1 leverage ratio, I think the Heckler is more like 2.5:1, therefore the spring you have, whilst it will fit fine, may indeed be undersprung anyway!

Bodhisattva
    It will fit, but keep a few things in mind:

1. While fine for the Heckler, it may not be the correct spring for a different bike
    2. There will be little to no weight savings over a steel spring because of the extra length
    3. Ti springs that fit Romics & Manitous do not fit on the DHX. There is interference with the reservoir.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Giant Robot
    Nov 2004

What is the typical weight coil spring for 190-200 lb rider on 6 Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    It will fit, but keep a few things in mind:

1. While fine for the Heckler, it may not be the correct spring for a different bike
    2. There will be little to no weight savings over a steel spring because of the extra length
    3. Ti springs that fit Romics & Manitous do not fit on the DHX. There is interference with the reservoir.
    Oh, and I've been using an RCS Ti spring on the DHX on my Heckler with no issues, though it is indeed technically meant for a Romic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Kitted up

I come in at 192lbs and run a 700lbs spring on my Pack, but there are many chaps here weighing similar weights with 600 and 650 Springs!

mtbr member
    The lengh of the spring has nothing to do with the i2i or stroke of the shock. The stroke is 2", the heavier the spring weight (like a 400# vs 600#) the longer the spring will be, like a 2.3 vs a 2.8. By using a longer stroke shock you may find your self bottoming out hard with the tire hitting the frame before the shock actually bottoms out.

Bodhisattva
    Oh, and I've been using an RCS Ti spring on the DHX on my Heckler with no issues, though it is indeed technically meant for a Romic.
    Really?
    We tried 2 different 550 RCS Ti springs specified for the DHX 5.0 and both hit the reservoir. Odd.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

?

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    The lengh of the spring has nothing to do with the i2i or stroke of the shock. The stroke is 2", the heavier the spring weight (like a 400# vs 600#) the longer the spring will be, like a 2.3 vs a 2.8. By using a longer stroke shock you may find your self bottoming out hard with the tire hitting the frame before the shock actually bottoms out.
    Where did the idea of a longer stroke shock come from? I understand the idea is to use the longer stroke spring (2.3" ti Spring), not shock (use 6 Pack 2" DHX), therefore meaning impossible to bottom the spring before the shock?
    For the 700# spring I still run a 2" stroke stock shock and i've seen the odd clyde or two with 800# and above onto a 2" DHX, no issue apart form the initial squeeze!