mtbr member
    May 2004

6 Pack Rear Suspension Questions

I have previously been a SC Bullit owner(2 Bullits/1 Heckler) and tried all sorts of configurations for various types of riding. I now have a 6 Pack and am amazed at how well it performs climbing, descending, braking, drops, etc.. I am running DHX air shock w/ 05 Marz Z150 FR. What are the stroke length options ( i think my dhx air is 2"). Can you run longer? I have seen other threads that mention different rocker arms-are they from Turner or aftermarket outfit? Tscheezy mentions 6 Pack demo at IBike and states travel w/ fox 36 vanilla at 6.5/6"-I thought the Pack is 6"? Is the ride quality of a Push'd shock that incredible and worth the $$$. Sorry for all the questions-just very excited about the bike and always willing to try new technology/options.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey Wilbur-
    The stock length for both the spot and pack is 7.5"i2i w/ 2" stroke. A few of us who own '02 RFX's are running 7.5x2.25" shocks. With the 3:1 ratio of either the 'pack or RFX, this gets you 6.75" in back with no affect on geometry.

Fox made the vanilla RC in this size for a short while, this is what I have. Mine's been "pushed". I love it! Avalanche also offers shocks in this size, couild be a better bet.

I can't guarantee that all this will work on a 6-pack. It does work great on my RFX, so I would think it should. I do know, there were clearance issues when I ran my 5" rockers so it wouldn't work on a 5-spot. Search for posts by myself, Bulldog, renegade and lucky7 for more info.

mtbr member
    The Fox Vanilla is 160mm / 6.3 inches hence the travel difference and is said to suit the pack well.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur
    I have previously been a SC Bullit owner(2 Bullits/1 Heckler) and tried all sorts of configurations for various types of riding. I now have a 6 Pack and am amazed at how well it performs climbing, descending, braking, drops, etc.. I am running DHX air shock w/ 05 Marz Z150 FR. What are the stroke length options ( i think my dhx air is 2"). Can you run longer? I have seen other threads that mention different rocker arms-are they from Turner or aftermarket outfit? Tscheezy mentions 6 Pack demo at IBike and states travel w/ fox 36 vanilla at 6.5/6"-I thought the Pack is 6"? Is the ride quality of a Push'd shock that incredible and worth the $$$. Sorry for all the questions-just very excited about the bike and always willing to try new technology/options.
    Were your Bullits running the 8.5 X 2.5 shocks? If you had that setup I'm curious how the Pack compared with the Bullit on handling rough, downhill terrain? Did you notice the slight loss in travel? Did you lose anything or was it all good?

-danno

Outcast
    Wilbur,as FM said, most folks who have tried longer stroke shocks have done so on RFX's, and those shocks have the same eye to eye measurement as the stock shock. I stuffed an 8.5 by 2.5 shock into my large rfx frame, but that change mandated the fabrication of custom rockers, to accomodate the shock without changing the frames geometry. The gain in travel was gained beyond the end of the what the stock shock would allow.

I won't openly recommend you do something like this with a six pack. First, your frame has to be a size large or larger, then you have to get rockers made, and finally, the six pack rocker is different than the rfx rocker; I don't know if you can gain any additional travel beyond the stroke of the stock shock. I believe the six pack is more "sagged" has a lower BB height than the rfx. Perhaps rather than looking at increasing your travel on the six pack, you might investigate refining the quality of the travel, by purchasing a shock built custom to your specifications. I'm talking about an avalanche rear shock.

Team Sanchez
    Wilbur, Tscheesy told me the other day that one could put a 7.875 X 2.25 shock on a pack to get some additional travel, but also to raise the BB a bit, without any fit issues. I was considering this, as i smack my pedals quite a bit on my 05 pack. You may want to PM him and he can give you the details.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Wilbur, Tscheesy told me the other day that one could put a 7.875 X 2.25 shock on a pack to get some additional travel, but also to raise the BB a bit, without any fit issues. I was considering this, as i smack my pedals quite a bit on my 05 pack. You may want to PM him and he can give you the details.
    And if you do contact Tscheezy about this, ask what such a change will do to the head angle.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Were your Bullits running the 8.5 X 2.5 shocks? If you had that setup I'm curious how the Pack compared with the Bullit on handling rough, downhill terrain? Did you notice the slight loss in travel? Did you lose anything or was it all good?

-danno
    I did have the 8.5 x 2.5 shock stroke, and mainly stuck w/ progressive 5th coil. Towards the end I switched to manitou swinger 3-way air, just because I could give it a try for free. For fork selection I used was the Manitou Sherman Plus (horrible), Marzocchi 66(felt great, but A-C height was way too much for technical trail riding) and at the end paired the Manitou swinger w/ Z-150 FR (worked well-very balanced). Nothing has been lost w/ the 6 Pack. Traction and climbing is significantly better as well as descending, particularly downhill, off-camber corners. The tires stay glued to the ground in all situations. So far so good w/ the dhx air, however I am a little concerned about reliability in the long run, and am considering some sort of coil shock. I will say that the Bullit was a great bike for the $$, and very reliable, however I have never ridden a bike that can climb or descend like the 6 pack (drops and jumps as good also).