mtbr member
    Aug 2005

5spot front shock dilemma

Hi,
    I asked this question every one that I know that know something about mountain bikes.
    So I thought to get more confuse and ask the question here.

I got a 5spot with DHX Air and RS Revelation dual air 130, (no U-tern).
    I have an option to replace it with Pike Race 2005 in a good condition.

I'm riding uphills, but more enjoy downhills. I liked to jump drops of 2-4 feet. I used to ride in woods and in the desert.

I am afried of the one more lb that I add to the front of my bike and what will happen to the nose of the bike on jumps?

I think that I will enjoy more stable bike because of the 20mm QR.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Eitan
    Attached Images Attached Images

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I dunno the answer but I am riding with the same suspension so I'll look forward to reading the answers. I'm not doing major drops so I don't know if I'd get the benefit of the Pike like you would. I chose the Revelation because I didn't think I needed the Maxle (or want to build a new wheel) and I wanted to keep the additional weight off the front end.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I never owned a Revalation, but I have been running a Pike SL on my spot lately. I was never a big fan of RockShox but I am happy with the Pike:

The steering is very precise
    It blasts the downhills very well

The front of my bike does feel a little heavier with the Pike compared to my old Vanilla R fork. You will have to give a little more effort to lift the nose. But my Spot jumps great -no nose dive as long as I pay attention.

With a 5 Spot you really can't go wrong with either a light or burly build. It shines with both setups. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

hope this helps

I have a PIKE coil up front on my spot. I have never run with anything else though. I don't have any problems lifting the front or nose diving on the drops. I mostly trail ride but do hit drops of your size too. I love it but like i said i haven't rode with anything else in this class of forks before. hope that helps.

m
    I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction-B. Hussein Obama

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mathisen
    With a 5 Spot you really can't go wrong with either a light or burly build.
    The Revelation probably falls somewhere in between although I'd guess that it's pretty light for a 130mm fork. The slider's definitely burlier than a Reba. I haven't compared it to a Pike but I do have a friend who's got one on order.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

trail fairy
    Im pretty new to the spot myself ownership wise though been familar with it for the last 3 years via my buddy, now I have the pleasure!

The Pike IMO would be a great choice, I'm running the AM1 and last night we had a technical night ride session @ the secret location, very rooty slow tech fast downhills drops little bridges 30m windy bridges through swamps long ramps, I had unknowningly set the TAS @130mm which had steepened the HA sot I felt a little unbalanced and was hitting roots with my pedals so found it a little unnerving to begin with esspecailly at night, not what ya want so i realised this and switched to my 150mm setting (using TAS) whoa she still climbed like a billy goat gave me more stability esspecially in the technical sections and I had more controll on the ramps and bridges, then on the downhill I had the plush 6inches to let rip and she still cornered like a banshee on steriods but with stability, so Id go for it, ya won't be disapointed with the longer fork and the thru axle will make it even better.

I do love my AM though! Marz u rock!
    my2c good luck
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I have a coil pike on my urban bike and an air pike on my 5 Spot. I've hit some big stair gaps on my urban bike (vicinity of 8ft) and over 4ft drops on the Spot with the pike air. I've also ridden some big bikes on large drops.

A pound extra up front won't make much difference. A pound more in the front is also less noticable and is easier to manage than a pound extra in the rear.

Now, a 20mm axle up front makes a HUGE difference when you're doing drops. The level of security and control in case the landing goes south far outweights any weight penalty.

Finally, pikes do better with drops when they are air sprung, especially on trail bikes, where you want small bump compliance, due to the progressive nature of the air spring. Coil might be prone to bottoming out.

Here are a couple of shots of the pike in action on a 4 footer.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Different forks, but I switched from a Talas to a 135mm Sherman a year and a half ago on my spot, resulting in about the same 1 pound front end weight increase you're looking at.

I worried about the front diving, but ended up adjusting to the change within an hour, then promptly forgot to even think about it.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I didnt try the Revelation, but have tried a Spot with a Fox Talas on it. I think the Talas will be similar to the Revelation, due to both of them being air shocks with 130 mm of travel.
    Personally , I have a Pike Race on my Spot. It performs a lot better than the Talas. The 20mm hub gives the fork added lateral stiffness, and 140mm seems just right for the Spot (like you I also got the DHX Air at the back). Besides that, I still preffer coil fork over air forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    I didnt try the Revelation, but have tried a Spot with a Fox Talas on it. I think the Talas will be similar to the Revelation, due to both of them being air shocks with 130 mm of travel.
    Personally , I have a Pike Race on my Spot. It performs a lot better than the Talas. The 20mm hub gives the fork added lateral stiffness, and 140mm seems just right for the Spot (like you I also got the DHX Air at the back). Besides that, I still preffer coil fork over air forks.
    Agree completely. I think the Spot likes a slightly longer fork than DT specs, and the Talas just seems to be a kinda crappy fork in general, even after the PUSH treatment. Just a bit harsh, which could simply be the air factor.

Though I have heard that the newer vintage Talas forks are better in this regard than my 04.

A Pike Air U-Turn is on my wish list, but since building an RFX last week, I'm not sure the trusty Spot is going to see that much action anymore!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I also have a revelation and am thinking about a pike 454 air u turn, if the stiffness and extra 10mm are worth the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the replays. As the time pass I fill that I will go with the Pike.

By the way, Pike was on the list of shocks that are recommende by Turner. Right now there is a equation with two hidden variables :-). Does the Pike fit to this equation?

Thanks