Thread: 5PUSHpack?

Wicketed

5PUSHpack?

Greetings, Homer Nation.

My first post, so here's some background to the issue I want to put to your collective grey matter:

I'm in the market for a FS bike to replace my long-forked hardtail. I love the damage limitation the 150mm up front provides, and want to balance out the rear a bit. I'm 5'10", 165lb, and neither huck nor collect air-miles. However, I take a steamroller approach to downhills by letting the forks do their business, and enjoying hanging on until the inevitable rear pinch-flat.

Because i also like leathering it up climbs, and do a lot of miles on flat / rolling terrain, the full RFX would probably not be ideal. I'd like to keep the 150mm forks, but perhaps tighten up the steering feel a bit, compared to the choppered out hardtail.

With that in mind would this work? - the frankenfrankenturner:
    RFX front, with 5spot rear, PUSH rockers and RP3 (when available).

I know the front triangle is probabaly overkill for me, but the fit would be bang on, and I'd get to have 5spot-ish headangle with a 6" fork, and the rear travel nearly balancing the front. And of course the main reason is: ano green

whaddyareckon? I guess DT spends hours and hours agonising over the geometry of his stock frames, and I don't want to spend loads of money and time putting together a frame that doesn't then have the fabled Turner ride.

Xtremely Moderate
    Other than the uber burly feeling, with a 130mm fork, the 5Pack feels nearly identical to a 5 Spot. Some "hair splitters" will contest that but its the truth.

But, add a 150mm fork, and its a much different bike than either the RFX or 5 Spot.

Since you said that you neither huck nor jump, at your size, I'd say you'd probably be fine with a stock 5 Spot.
    And if you absolutely have to have more than a 130mm fork, get yourself a Pike.

Mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Wicketed

looks good e<i>o

yep, understood - if i was buying both frame and fork. i already have the 150mm fork which i'm happy with. that's why i thought 5pack rather than 5spot, as i understood that the 5 pack has slightly steeper HA than 5spot, with the same fork. so with 150, it probably comes out 5spotty.

prob another case of hair splitting though...any 5packers packing 150 that can confirm or deny? thanks.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    ...as i understood that the 5 pack has slightly steeper HA than 5spot, with the same fork...
    I don't know, that may or may not be true. Here the HA is listed as being a half a degree slacker (there's that hair splitting you mentioned). What I don't know is whether this is with a 5" or 6" travel fork.

This thead may be helpful.

...any 5packers packing 150 that can confirm or deny? thanks.
    I know at least one person said they were running 6" up front on a 5 Pack, but I forget who it is (and I can't locate the post). Actually (this is not who I was thinking of), SSinGA may be running a 66SL on his RFX, but maybe that's only in 6" mode. Maybe someone else will post that has more info, but I know that I've been beating this topic to death recently.

Good luck.

Patrick

Edit: Oh yeah, I just remembered who had the 150mm fork on their 5 Pack (See post below).
    Last edited by PCinSC; 05-21-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Xtremely Moderate
    any 5packers packing 150 that can confirm or deny? thanks.
    That's a 150mm 05 Z1 on my 5 Pack in the pic.

One of the main reasons I did the front triangle switch out was to run a 150mm fork.
    The other was so I didn't crush the bike on rides like Galbraith Mtn.

It worked out nicely as the 5 Pack with a 150mm fork rips, but if I had my druthers I'd have an adjustable travel fork like the 06 Z1 SL, where I could dial it down to 130mm as needed.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    ....I concur with EIO. I ran a large Spot for nearly 2 years & after spending a couple months on the RFx5, it feels bang on. I typically run about 140-150mm travel in front & the handling is essentially the same as the spot with 130mm. The 66SL makes for a fine front end on this particular frank'n-setup.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    The 66SL makes for a fine front end on this particular frank'n-setup.
    Werd.......

I've been thinking about pulling the 66SL from my VPF & giving it a go on the Pack.

Wicketed

cheers for your time, people.

quality, i'm well chuffed! looks like the 5pack (RFV?) is the bike i'm looking for. thanks for linking to that other thread - i remember it now; must have been one i read late friday night...

jncarpenter - that bike looks totally unstoppable. or is it the case that it just intimidates the trail into submission?
    Last edited by swan lee; 05-22-2006 at 02:19 AM.