Thread: 5 Spot vs X-5

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

5 Spot vs X-5

My wife got out the shovel and started digging my grave in the backyard. If I don't stop spending hours beating to death which new 5" bike to get, she's gonna off me.

It could be worse. She didn't make me dig the hole.

Anyone ride the Ventana X-5 and 5 Spot and have some words of wisdom? The Yeti 575 is still in the mix, too.

I've ridden the X-5 in a burly setup that was solid, but it was the 2004 steeper HA bike. It was kinda heavy going up.

I'd shoot to build the new bike under 30 pounds.

5'11", 165 pounds, CO front range (lots and lots of climbing and rock)

Where's Gonz when you need him...I think he's had both.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    My wife got out the shovel and started digging my grave in the backyard. If I don't stop spending hours beating to death which new 5" bike to get, she's gonna off me.

Anyone ride the Ventana X-5 and 5 Spot and have some words of wisdom? The Yeti 575 is still in the mix, too.

I've ridden the X-5 in a burly setup that was solid, but it was the 2004 steeper HA bike. It was kinda heavy going up.

Thanks
    Well i have had both. I now have a 06 X5 they are both GREAT bikes. it has been said that the x5 has a better build quality, it is stronger & stiffer (the 5spot is no slouch though) and the finish is nicer and more durable & i would agree. They are both very good technical climbers & decenders, but i gotta say the first decent on the x5 & I was blown away, the bike is so solid. The most important thing above anything else is size & fit, ventana has a step above in this area as well - if you are in between sizes just call Sherwood and give your measurements & he will custom build to your measurements CS is a draw both companys are there when you need them & if they are not ( which i have not expierenced yet ) you will always get a call or email - honestly its a coin toss you cant loose every company is gonna have one thing that may be more important than another to someone

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by ayce
    Well i have had both. I now have a 06 X5 they are both GREAT bikes. it has been said that the x5 has a better build quality, it is stronger & stiffer (the 5spot is no slouch though) and the finish is nicer and more durable & i would agree. They are both very good technical climbers & decenders, but i gotta say the first decent on the x5 & I was blown away, the bike is so solid. The most important thing above anything else is size & fit, ventana has a step above in this area as well - if you are in between sizes just call Sherwood and give your measurements & he will custom build to your measurements CS is a draw both companys are there when you need them & if they are not ( which i have not expierenced yet ) you will always get a call or email - honestly its a coin toss you cant loose every company is gonna have one thing that may be more important than another to someone
    well said. though i have not had much time on a 5 Spot, I think if you talk to people who have ridden both (which I have) who have a lot of experience on a lot of bike, they will likely say they ride more similar than they do different, each with their own pluses and minuses so you have to go with your gut I think.

The custom geometry thing is very sweet I agree.....my current Ventana is semi-custom geometry (mixing stock tubeset sizing) and it is perfect. Had the 06 RFX not had about the specs I would do custom myself, I would have passed for for sure as no price is worth a bad fit.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    turner has the koolaid. if that doesnt solidify it, nuthin will!

remember the new rockers stiffen things up big time and add a bit more sqiushy in the vertical. both are top drawer so good luck man.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch

Thanks

Seems like the El Ciclon is the 5 spot clone.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Seems like the El Ciclon is the 5 spot clone.

weeell i wouldnt say that exactly - maybe the other way around. though the ciclon is the new 5"er this year from ventana it seems like a pretty much modified el salty which is not new & since ventana has been using the seatstay pivot for many many years & turner just started last year... i would say ventana just modified what they already had been making for quite some time now....so its definatly not the clone hera.....am i making any sense hear - to early?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    way too early for semantics. yer probobly right but common, ya know what he meant. anyway, i here ya... hera ya.... hare ya?.... oh fock it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    way too early for semantics. yer probobly right but common, ya know what he meant. anyway, i here ya... hera ya.... hare ya?.... oh fock it.

Exactly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have to say that the 2007 5.5 Spot looks very promising. Turner has improved it a lot by making it stiffer and raising the BB a little. These are tweaks that will really improve the bike in the rough. I hear one calling my name already.

banned
    Top notch in either. It's no surprise DT and Sherwood are buddies (at least I think they still are).

I think it boils down to what fits and how it feels because there are several people that have gone both ways from either manufacturer to the other because of not liking one's geometry. I can't give one the nod above the other. I did the Turner thing because I was more likely to get better fit in theory than the Ventana (not being able to try either), the CS, and the bushings. The customer base is also very supportive.

I would consider a Ventana, but I would try it first and if it didn't fit and didn't ride right, then to Turner.

Bodhisattva
    Suggestion....
    if you're on the FR then come up to Loveland & pay Mtn High Cyclery a visit. Larry is both a Ventana & Turner dealer and there's a good chance he could get a demo arranged.
    Both are great bikes.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by ayce
    weeell i wouldnt say that exactly - maybe the other way around. though the ciclon is the new 5"er this year from ventana it seems like a pretty much modified el salty which is not new & since ventana has been using the seatstay pivot for many many years & turner just started last year... i would say ventana just modified what they already had been making for quite some time now....so its definatly not the clone hera.....am i making any sense hear - to early?

Well, this is the Turner board
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Crash,

Ayce pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wanted to add some detail on the 575 which was on my top 5 list. At a hair over 6 feet and 210 the 575 was the best fitting bike I've thrown a leg over. Just fit perfect right out of the box. I also feel it's a better descender than the 5Spot. It rails down steeps with tons of confidence and feels like it's got more than 6" of travel. The downside was that it lacks the snappy, right-now acceleration of the Spot. If you do more descending than climbing, take a close look at the Yeti.

That said, I bought the Spot for it's all-round prowess. Nothing's perfect though. I feel the geometry could be more slack, 5-pack would be the answer to this. The short head tube requires a lot of spacers and long steer tube to get a proper fit, I think this is being addressed in the 2007 model (anyone?). Just something to consider if you plan on using a fork you've already cut. One last thing...The rear end tends to dog-leg under hard, fast, cornering under someone my size. At 165 this should not be an issue. Clydes might do better to go straight for a 6 pack or X5.