mtbr member
    Mar 2004

5 spot vs. new Cannondale jekyll 2000

I currently have the jekyll and was wondering if the 5 spot would be a good new bike. I like drops and going fast but also like to ride long rides with plenty of uphill. I am 5' 8" and 190 with gear. I think I want the romic but am worried about its duribility. Also I want the minuite one two or three. Which is the best one?

Lay off the Levers
    The Spot is an all day bike. It climbs like nobody's business. It handles technical acents and decents with so much confidence you'll think you're suddenly a better rider. It's plenty sturdy for A-XC but it's not a freeride bike.

The jury is still out on the Romic's durability...so apparently is the shock, for many ppl. No other shock will be as good on this bike though. (IMO)...I have no experience with those forks.

Cheers Gears and Beers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Baked Alaskan

having owned both

Quote Originally Posted by jmono
    I currently have the jekyll and was wondering if the 5 spot would be a good new bike. I like drops and going fast but also like to ride long rides with plenty of uphill. I am 5' 8" and 190 with gear. I think I want the romic but am worried about its duribility. Also I want the minuite one two or three. Which is the best one?
    Having ridden a Jekyll and really liked it, let me say this, the 5 is just on another level. I was really happy with the ride of the Jekyll, but I always wanted a Turner so I splurged. I haven't looked back since. The 5 climbs better, brakes better and descends with the best of them. From the first ride it was something different. I cleared sections that I have never cleared before. It's an awesome ride. If you want to spend the $$$, it will not disappoint.

mtbr member
    The owner of one of the LBS has made a fair living selling Cannondale since their inception way back when. He and I have had several in depth discussions on production bikes (Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, ect.) vs. boutique bikes (Turner, Ventana, Titus, ect.) and in the end we've agreed to disagree. His argument is that while boutique bike may be better, MAY being the key word, it is only slightly and the additional costs don't justify the end result. My argument is... well, the fact that I owner a Turner is argument enough.