mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5 Spot vs. EW Truth

I recently bought an '04 Truth w/the Ti Romic shock. The bike weighs about 27lbs (XTR & XT mix, Mavic Crossmax SLs, carbon bars and seat post, Fire XC UST tires. How light can you build a 5 Spot? I'm guessing it would come in at about 28lbs if set up the same way. I know most compare the 5-Spot w/the ID, but I was wondering if any of you have ridden the Truth. How does the 5-Spot's slacker head angle affect its climbing and singletrack handling? Does it feel heavy? I imagine it's pretty awesome on technical downhills. How durable are the bushings?
    Last edited by bicylemark; 04-10-2004 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member

Comparison

I've owned a Truth for about 7 years, just got a 5 spot about a month ago.
    My Truth had bushings as does the 5 spot. Living in Phoenix the climate is very friendly for bushings. The later model Truth's that I've had a chance seem to be more flexy, I've always attributed this to the bearings.
    Both bikes climb great. I would not consider the 5 spot as heavy feeling it just seems more neutral to me. Romic will take the bob out of either bike. Rear of the 5 spot feels longer to me. I can't say I definately contribute it to the chainstays on the 5 spot or the longer front end on the Truth.
    If your considering weight as a driving force the Truth should win out for average xc riding or racing. It makes no sense to me to try to make a trail bike super light as it is very expensive to overcome the extra weight of the frame.
    The stock rear der. hanger on the Truth is not designed well and to get a qr. seat clamp to work almost always calls for some type of shim.
    5 spot is definately better on the downhill...head angle and taller front end.
    While I enjoyed the Truth it does not match my trail riding needs as much as the 5 spot. If weight is an issue and you ride smoother terrain you'll be happy with the Truth.

mtbr member

5er vs Truth

Quote Originally Posted by bicylemark
    I recently bought an '04 Truth w/the Ti Romic shock. The bike weighs about 27lbs (XTR & XT mix, Mavic Crossmax SLs, carbon bars and seat post, Fire XC UST tires. How light can you build a 5 Spot? I'm guessing it would come in at about 28lbs if set up the same way. I know most compare the 5-Spot w/the ID, but I was wondering if any of you have ridden the Truth. How does the 5-Spot's slacker head angle affect its climbing and singletrack handling? Does it feel heavy? I imagine it's pretty awesome on technical downhills. How durable are the bushings?
    I had a '01 Truth. I had it built to about 29 lbs, since the light stuff just can't take the strain of trail riding here in the NE. Evidently, neither could the frame, since it cracked at the seat tube shock mounting. (not to mention the rock dings on the down tube) After the HASSLE with Ells on the warranty, I upgraded (?) to the Id. Now I'm riding the 5er. Its at 30.5 pounds and I could easily take off 1 pound if I switched to a lighter wheelset and to a ti spring. I think you would be hard pressed to get a 28lb 5er, and to fit it out as a trailbike.
    The 5er's head angle, although being 69 degrees, seems very fast. I have a Marz Marathon S 120 on it, which is like butter, and suits me and our terrain just fine. I would compare the quickness of steering to the feeling of the Truths'. Doesn't seem logical, but I think you just have to ride the bikes to really know how its going to feel. As for going uphill, it climbs like a goat. I also use the ETA on Marathon, which does help a lot, even though the spring rate gets stiffer.
    On technical downhills and rock gardens, there is no comparison. The suspension is buttery compared to the Truth. Of course, these aren't good comparisons, because the 2 bikes are coming from 2 different directions.....
    The bushings are cool. The 5er's rear is definitely stiffer by just a bit. You can service them yourself, based on Turners web site. And, with the grease fittings, you can be sure to do a little lube every now and then. I've had the bike for 6 months now, and all is well.
    As to how it feels, can't make a comparison there. Most people will put bigger heavier tires on the 5er, and that's where the 'feeling' of heaviness will come in. I guess if you outfitted it as you state, it would feel comparible, although the Truth's frame is lighter by a bit. You would have to put a heavier preload on the 5er, and then you'd get the Truth's stiffer feeling in the rear. I remember the Truth as being very race like, meaning not much of a suspension feel. The 5er is a trailbike, with much more of a plush yet still non bobing feel.
    Of course Turners customer service is hughly superior to Ells.
    Why don't you take a look at the Burner?
    Hope that helps a bit.
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My sentiments exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I had a '01 Truth. I had it built to about 29 lbs, since the light stuff just can't take the strain of trail riding here in the NE. Evidently, neither could the frame, since it cracked at the seat tube shock mounting. (not to mention the rock dings on the down tube) After the HASSLE with Ells on the warranty, I upgraded (?) to the Id. Now I'm riding the 5er. Its at 30.5 pounds and I could easily take off 1 pound if I switched to a lighter wheelset and to a ti spring. I think you would be hard pressed to get a 28lb 5er, and to fit it out as a trailbike.
    The 5er's head angle, although being 69 degrees, seems very fast. I have a Marz Marathon S 120 on it, which is like butter, and suits me and our terrain just fine. I would compare the quickness of steering to the feeling of the Truths'. Doesn't seem logical, but I think you just have to ride the bikes to really know how its going to feel. As for going uphill, it climbs like a goat. I also use the ETA on Marathon, which does help a lot, even though the spring rate gets stiffer.
    On technical downhills and rock gardens, there is no comparison. The suspension is buttery compared to the Truth. Of course, these aren't good comparisons, because the 2 bikes are coming from 2 different directions.....
    The bushings are cool. The 5er's rear is definitely stiffer by just a bit. You can service them yourself, based on Turners web site. And, with the grease fittings, you can be sure to do a little lube every now and then. I've had the bike for 6 months now, and all is well.
    As to how it feels, can't make a comparison there. Most people will put bigger heavier tires on the 5er, and that's where the 'feeling' of heaviness will come in. I guess if you outfitted it as you state, it would feel comparible, although the Truth's frame is lighter by a bit. You would have to put a heavier preload on the 5er, and then you'd get the Truth's stiffer feeling in the rear. I remember the Truth as being very race like, meaning not much of a suspension feel. The 5er is a trailbike, with much more of a plush yet still non bobing feel.
    Of course Turners customer service is hughly superior to Ells.
    Why don't you take a look at the Burner?
    Hope that helps a bit.
    SB
    I'm not sure I would recommend a Burner because of the air shock and lack of travel. However, I like lots of travel, thus my decision to buy a Spot. Great bike. I also run a Marathon S 120. I'm not totally sold on the fork because I'm not getting full travel; it probably has too much oil in it or the spring is too heavy. Or both. I shall rebuild it soon.

The Spot is a low hassle bike that climbs well, descends great, and is way fun. I can climb loose stuff on the Spot that would have stopped my other bikes in their tracks. It climbs super steep stuff much better with the ETA cranked down. Much better! I would highly recommend getting a fork that you can drop down on steep climbs.

I have owned an Ellsworth. I found their customer service nice and friendly.

Jaybo