mtbr member

5-spot Tyre size

Hi,

im just choosing some all-round tyres for our lovely Scottish weather. Can anyone let me know what is the max tyre size i can run on my spot...is a Kenda 2.35 OK?

cheers

Bring Back Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by d.ten
    Hi,

im just choosing some all-round tyres for our lovely Scottish weather. Can anyone let me know what is the max tyre size i can run on my spot...is a Kenda 2.35 OK?

cheers
    I've run Maxxis Hi Roller 2.5's on my 5-spot. Niether Surrey or Welsh mud has managed to cause any issues for me. So I would say Kenda 2.35's would be fine.

BBB.

Lay off the Levers
    2.35s are a very popular size on the Spot. It will accomidate a 2.5 as well. Happy rolling.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    2.1 nevegal works great as well on my spot. Both front, and especially back. Compared to my 2.35 experience, now it is as fun to ascend as to descend

mtbr member
    thanks for that, i was running 2.1's on my Klein never thought of keeping to that size for the spot....perhaps its a better all round option?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    You could keep the 2.1 in the back and "upsize" the front.. that's the best compromise I think..

mtbr member
    I run Panaracer Cinder 2.25. They are a great tire in various conditions. I chose them because I ran the Fire 2.1 on my RMB Blizzard and loved them but wanted a bigger tire on the 5 Spot. A good duty tire that does not weigh you down, or if you dont want to run the common 2.35 to 2.5 tires out there.

mtbr member
    Seven Stanes or moors and trail's ?
    For the man made stuff I would recomend 2.35 Blue Groove front (soft) and a Nevagle at the rear, or a Racing Ralph at the rear, or try the Maxxis High roller Sticky front with a Larson Rear, I always have the softer tyre at the front the rear will look after itself, losing the front tyre on rock/on the trail is very bad
    Stay off the brakes

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    You could keep the 2.1 in the back and "upsize" the front.. that's the best compromise I think..
    I agree, that's the way I run them..

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by d.ten
    thanks for that, i was running 2.1's on my Klein never thought of keeping to that size for the spot....perhaps its a better all round option?
    I'm running a 2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race in the front and a 2.24 WTB Moto Raptor Race in the rear. The Moto Raptor is great in the mud and pedals just like my 2.1 Weirwolf did. The weight are similar to the 2.1. It runs as tall as the 2.5 in the front for a nice balance.

trail fairy
    d.ten for Scotish conditish I think the Nevagal is probably a good choice fr & r it probably depends allot on how ya ride which ya haven't mentioned

If ya want comfort and traction and aren't too worried about speed acceleration, 2.35 front and rear is fine, I know some say don't use stans sealant but Ive and had no issues and for your conditions UST or Stans imo is a must.

UST 2.1 in the rear and Stans a sticky e 2.35 for the front, if ya push hard on the Spot you might overwhelm a 2.1 up front, if ya more of an XC lycra rider then 2.1 will be ok but ya not pushing the Spot hard if ya on a 2.1 imo unless youre XC racing or endurance racing different horses for different courses.

I currently run a 2.1 rear with 2.35 up front, I do miss the comfort of a 2.35 at the rear though bigger tires just ride nice, but then Im ridng the RFX at the mo so I have even bigger tires
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs