mtbr member
    Sep 2004

5 spot Standover

Hi
    I just ordered a large 5 spot. The website says the standover is 32 inches.I'm 5' 11" with a 32 inch inseam(Short legs, long torso).The top tube on the medium is less than i'm used to.

Is the 32 inch standover on the sire correct. Any one esle with these stats on a large?

I know these questions have been asked before. I did a search and found people with 31 inch inseam on a large! I will be running a 130mm fox talus fork. Thanks any input would be appreciated.Thanks

No, that's not phonetic
    Turner measures standover along a vertical line that passes at a point that is 6" in front of the bb. This is about like if you dropped a ruler down from the top tube and it passed the pedal spindle of a crank arm in the forward, 3 o'clock position. This would also roughly be the mid-point of the top tube. A lot of companies measure standover way back at the back end of the top tube (where you will never be standing) so their numbers are artificially low, and hard to compare. One manufacturer (who shall remain namel[size=+3]E[/size]ss) measures standover with the bike sagged.

I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam and I think my large Spot has adequate standover (Pike fork). It's never been an issue except getting on the bike on a steep uphill, but every bike gets to be an issue in that instance.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider0101
    Hi
    I just ordered a large 5 spot. The website says the standover is 32 inches.I'm 5' 11" with a 32 inch inseam(Short legs, long torso).The top tube on the medium is less than i'm used to.

Is the 32 inch standover on the sire correct. Any one esle with these stats on a large?

I know these questions have been asked before. I did a search and found people with 31 inch inseam on a large! I will be running a 130mm fox talus fork. Thanks any input would be appreciated.Thanks
    I hope this helps: I am 5'10", with a 30.5" inseam (long torso), riding a med spot w/115mm stem. It fits perfect.

A large should be fine for you, IMO. Sometimes I run a 55mm DH stem when I know I've got a lot of steep DH on the ride.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

seam

In my nominclature a seam is a pants measurement. I wear 30 in-seamed pants, and I ride a medium and have plenty of room, that is because I do not wear my pants up my crack and dragging the ground. Another thing to consider is that a "leg length" measurement for mountain biking should not be barefooted, unless you ride barefoot! Of course a leg length measurement is just that, all the way from floor to the crotch bone, everything else moves outa the way when scared.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My Measurement from floor to crotch bone is about 32- 32.5 .Probally closer to 33 with shoes on.
    Hopefully the large will give me a little room as at 5' 11" with long torso I feel the top tube on a medium may be too short.Thanks for the replys
    Last edited by Stan LeCupp; 03-25-2006 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member

You'll be fine

I am 5.11 on a L Spot with 03 Z1 FR up front - not sure what my inseam is but I wear 32" length Levis. I was most worried about the effective top tube length when I ordered my bike in early 05 and the standover has never bothered me once in over a year of riding.

mtbr member

pessimistic

The medium is stated to have a 31" standover but in order to get a 31" measurement on mine I have to go 3/4 of the way to the head tube. When I stand over my bike the 31" measurement is just in front of me so the point directly in the danger zone is an inch or so less, and as measured directly through the shock to the rear cablestops on the TT is 28". I'm 5'6" so I wish it was even lower but the bike is good enough to make me more comfortable than the standover would indicate.