mtbr member
    Apr 2005

5 Spot sizing - please help!!

OK, OK I know I should try them out, but circumstances make this all but impossible.

Right, I ride a Large XCE (TT 23.5") and am very happy on it. Before that I rode a medium Spec Enduro (TT 23") and was happy on that. And before that (serial bike swapper) it was an orange Sub 5 (TT 23.9"), which was too long (but partly because I had a 110mm stem on the counter the slack head angle).

I'm 5' 11", 32.5 inside leg.

Now looking to get a HL 5 Spot - sizing suggests borderline M / L, and Turner FAQs say go up a size if borderline, suggesting Large. I've read a few threads here that say the same, and for my height most people seemed to say go Large.

Advice (apart from try both) please!!

meh....

Large....

5-10 1/2 here, riding a large.

Monte

No, that's not phonetic
    I would normally suggest a large also, but from your bike history it sounds like a medium may be a better fit. Tough call. I'd go based on top tube length and decide if you would prefer something a bit more nimble and compact, or something more stable and where you can stretch out. Sounds like the former.

Where do you live? Maybe we can find someone in your area whose bike you can try?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In the UK (near to Cambridge) - seems to be a fair number of Turner riders & bike shops around.

Anyone here going to Thetford or Chicksands with their M or L 5 Spot any weekend soon?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm 5'8.5 and ride a medium Spot. I'm right on the edge, and sometimes wish I had a large. My inseam is about what yours is (32.5") and I have over 9.5" of exposed seatpost. a medium will be too small for you.

The head tube on the medium is very small (4" I think) and you will have to have lots of spacers, tall risers and a long tall stem to make it fit you.

I HIGHLY suggest a large for you.

No, that's not phonetic
    For better visibility I would start a new thread something to the effect of "Paging UK Spot riders for a demo, please..." and give some contact info.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the advice tscheezy. I've just put out a call on Singletrack's website. I know many riders are regulars to both.

Am not, had mine removed.
    Same boat rode med XCE and misc medium/large bikes. I finally went with a large Spot and a shorter 65mm stem about 8 months ago and love it.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Woburn is my regular haunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Farticus
    Anyone here going to Thetford or Chicksands with their M or L 5 Spot any weekend soon?
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam and ride a medium with a whackin' great smile on my chops. I like 'em compact after previously lumbering around on an over stretched and over here Marin.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

Am not, had mine removed.
    I'm 5'11"x32" as well. I think that at our size you can go either way on this one and be happy. The stem and seat post can adjust the tt length. So I guess its a matter of where you want your bars with respect to your front axel and seat with respect to your bb.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Farticus
    I ride a Large XCE (TT 23.5") and am very happy on it.
    If you're happy with your fit on the large XCE, you'd probably also be happy with the fit on a large Spot with a 10mm shorter stem. I guess a question to ask yourself is would you have been happy with your fit on a medium XCE, because it has the same geo as the medium Spot (other than HA).

This issue has been volleyed numerous times by all too common 5'11" guys on the cusp. And purchases have been made in both directions, so to truly know you really should test ride. Good luck and happy testing.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Ouch, I am hot!
    Large. large. I am 5'11' with 32 inseam and am on a large. No way I could fit on a medium. I think previous bike history is not all that important. Hell, my previous bike was a Superlight with the bars three inches below the seat height. Actually rode my 5-Spot for months with a reversed step trying to duplicate that crap.
    I AM JUST A JERK