mtbr member

5 spot sizing help

What size frame should I get? I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam. I ride singletrack, sometimes tight singletrack and was told that a medium handles better. I used to ride a medium Intense Tracer. It felt kind of small, but the medium 5 spot is a little bigger. Do you think I should get a medium or go with a large? by the way i want to use a 125mm fork
    Last edited by boxer6180; 04-18-2004 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer6180
    What size frame should I get? I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam. I ride singletrack, sometimes tight singletrack and was told that a medium handles better. I used to ride a medium Intense Tracer. It felt kind of small, but the medium 5 spot is a little bigger. Do you think I should get a medium or go with a large? by the way i want to use a 125mm fork
    I'm your exact height and inside leg! I ride a medium, but I do like a fairly upright position and run a very long post. The shorter TT means I find it easy to get off the back for scary stuff and feel really comfy the rest of the time. I tried a large and it felt a little long, but I'd strongly recommend a test ride if you can.

Hope that helps.

PS My garden is much tidier now
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Well, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam TOO, and I ride a large. I like longish top tubes and think the medium would have been much too short for me. As it is, I run a 120mm stem though I could make due with a 110 I guess. I wonder about how much post I'd have exposed too. The standover is not an issue. Go based on what top tube length you want, and think about whether or not you will need to use a layback post to get your desired position over the cranks. If I needed a layback post, I could more reasonably entertain the possibly of a shorter tt, but as it is, I like being forward for comfortable climbing.

And our garden looks like hell.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    As it is, I run a 120mm stem though I could make due with a 110 I guess.
    I just switched to a 120mm stem on my large, from 130mm, but I had to put on a setback Thomson seat post to achieve the desired overall top tube length. It makes me wonder if I should be on an XL. When you guys determine your height and inseam are you bare foot or with your bike shoes on?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm 5'9" with a 32.5" inseam and ride a medium. It fits great but I do show a lot of post.

I've riden my buddies large 5-spot and it felt great to me as well, not too big at all.

If I was you, I'd definately go for the large and plan or running a short stem. Turners have low standover and short head tubes, so TT length is all that matters. Thats another way of saying you can buy a larger frame and not get screwed by a tall front end and lack of standover clearance, which could be a problem with other brands. It's all about the top tube.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    When you guys determine your height and inseam are you bare foot or with your bike shoes on?
    Use the Colorado Cyclist bike fit instructions to determine your inseam. To do it alone, use a large book or framing square you can put against a wall to keep the top level.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

otb club member

Man, that doesn't look right...

Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    I'm your exact height and inside leg! I ride a medium, but I do like a fairly upright position and run a very long post. The shorter TT means I find it easy to get off the back for scary stuff and feel really comfy the rest of the time. I tried a large and it felt a little long, but I'd strongly recommend a test ride if you can.

Hope that helps.

PS My garden is much tidier now
    (Referring to the Black 5-Spot)
    Is your seat really three inches higher than your bars? That looks weird for a trail bike. That would put way too much weight on my hands and kill my neck trying to lift up my head to see where I was going...

It's a great looking bike, just looks like a very awkward riding position.

-Chris
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Chaplin Turner Overdrive
    Pretty much the same again, 5'11", 33" inseam, and I'm on a large. I have a little less post showing than Tscheezy (zero layback Thomson) and a 100mm stem with a couple of spacers. The bike feels great on fast descents and long climbs - it's very much suited to long day rides and epics. I think (no direct experience) the medium would fit me also, and be better down the local woods in tight singletrack, but I think I would be too cramped if riding all day. I'd also have to use a layback post which may hinder my climbing with too little weight over the front.

My setup would look like Deano's if I were to ride a medium, it's all personal preference but I think the large a la Tscheezy suits me better.

Good luck with your decision - I had exactly the same dilemma!

Nick

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm riding a burner but they fit the same as the five spot. I am 5'11.5" with a 33" inseam. I use a Thomson straight post with a 120mmx 15 degree rise stem (note a 110 mm 5 degree rise stem would have the same reach). Fit is great, could never see myself on a medium.

on a routine expedition

me too

I'm 5'11", with an inseam a little over 33", and I went with a large. I'm running a 100mm stem at the moment. It does wander a little bit climbing the steep stuff, so I may switch to something longer soon.

I have no garden.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Same size too, 5'11'', 32 inseam on a large. Can't imagine a medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    (Referring to the Black 5-Spot)
    Is your seat really three inches higher than your bars? That looks weird for a trail bike. That would put way too much weight on my hands and kill my neck trying to lift up my head to see where I was going...

It's a great looking bike, just looks like a very awkward riding position.

-Chris
    I guess I'm a bit of a freak by the replies here

I find it really domfortable and don't have any problems with pressure on my hands at all. Each to his own...

Lay off the Levers

A data point off the locus

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I just switched to a 120mm stem on my large, from 130mm, but I had to put on a setback Thomson seat post to achieve the desired overall top tube length. It makes me wonder if I should be on an XL. When you guys determine your height and inseam are you bare foot or with your bike shoes on?
    To each his own I guess. Looking at Tscheezy's and your bike sizes I seem to be the odd ball out.

I'm 6'2"(plus a smidge) and have a 38" inseam floor to pelvic bone (34" pants inseam) and I also ride a Large with a 120mm stem. I tried a 130mm stem and didn't like it. Which is odd since I like the streched out feeling of my XC HT. I also use a straight seat post.

When I was talking to Casey and my LBS guy, at the time I was right on the cusp for the XL. This year with the addition of the SQ size the recommendation window shifted me into the XL. As I'm quite comfortable, I suppose I could have gone for either.

Fit is a tricky thing. Boxer, maybe if you already have a bike that fits quite well, you can choose the size that closely matches the critical measurements. (ETT etc.)
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 04-19-2004 at 08:11 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I am kinda in the same boat. Being 6'5" I am boarderline for the the sasquatch size. I do like a more stretched out ride as I am using a set back post on my XL Fisher hardtail. I emailed Turner about it and here is what they had to say:

"John,

We built the sasquatch based on some customs we did 2 years ago for guys who were 6'4-6'5. I would recommend determining the top tube which is comfortable for you an buying based on that.

Off the cuff I would say Sasquatch.

Thanks
    Casey"

otb club member

Ohh, that's a beauty....

Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    I'm 5'11", with an inseam a little over 33", and I went with a large. I'm running a 100mm stem at the moment. It does wander a little bit climbing the steep stuff, so I may switch to something longer soon.

I have no garden.
    Love that bike. That's the same frame I've got. I was disappointed with the red rear triangle when I first got it, but seeing yours built-up, I have to say it looks great! I've got the same fork, as well. Nice job!

-Chris