mtbr member

5 Spot sizing for a female

Hello fellow Homers! I'm a long time lurker and I've been loving my spot for two years now.

My wife crashed her bike recently and broke her ankle - she had surgery to install a plate and six screws. I think the time has come to replace her 6 year old Truth ( ) with something a little more plush. I want to get her a new 5 spot. The question is.....sizing for a female.

I know what Turner's size recommendations are, but do those apply for women as well? My wife is 5' 8" - 5' 9". She currently rides a 2001 Ells Truth (23.5 in top tube). I think the truth is a little too long for her. She is very leggy - very long legs and a normal torso.

What size Spot should she ride? I would guess a medium. But as you can see, I'm not sure.

Thanks!
    -Ohio Mike (Now living in Phoenix, Arizona)

involuntary dismounter
    hey Mike,

the best thing to do would be to have her try one for size. what size is your spot? has she tried it? is it too big?

if you're in phoenix, check out rage cycles. i'm 5'9'', and was pretty convinced that i needed a medium. no turner dealer in tucson, so on a road trip to phoenix i stopped by rage, and tried the owner's large spot. when i came into the shop he looked at me and said: "looks like you need a medium, i have nothing for you to try...i have a spot, but it's a large". well, i tried it anyway, because i figured if it was too big, then it would confirm that i needed a medium...well to both of our surprise, the large fit perfectly...so i ended up with a large flux...and it fits great...

so the moral of the story is: she may be a medium, but she may also be a large...only one way to tell for sure! it's worth the extra leg work!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    sorry to hear about yer hunnies ankle. been there, done that. worst pain ive ever had and im no spring chicken.

without more info its hard to tag her at a certain size but if forced to guess, id agree and go med. 23.5 is indeed way long for a person at that height with long legs. see if rage, dna or kore have a small and med you could at least sit on if not ride. not sure whos got what as i havent lived there for almost 4 years.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mike, sorry to hear about your wife's wreck. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

My g/f seems to be about the same size as your wife (5'8" with 31" inseam). She test rode a medium Spot and it fit her perfectly. She was too stretched out on the large and had a hard time getting behind the seat on downhills. Her bike should be arriving via brown truck today. I'm probably more stoked than she is...

Members who have read this thread: 0