BBW
    mtbr member

5 Spot size and Turner Question

Hi guys, I want a new frame and the 5 Spot is on top of my list. I have a couple of questions. I'm 5'10 would I be good on the medium? I'm borderline if you want but when I see that the seat tube is 17 is weird
    stand over and TT seems OK...

Second Q: is it cheaper to buy directly from Turner? I see "on sale now" on the page and when you click you get "order Turner direct"??

Thanks!!!!

BB

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Hi guys, I want a new frame and the 5 Spot is on top of my list. I have a couple of questions. I'm 5'10 would I be good on the medium? I'm borderline if you want but when I see that the seat tube is 17 is weird
    stand over and TT seems OK...

Second Q: is it cheaper to buy directly from Turner? I see "on sale now" on the page and when you click you get "order Turner direct"??

Thanks!!!!

BB
    Are you looking at the TNT 08 models ? I presume , dwls have slightly different #s
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What is the top tube length of your current ride? Use that as your guide, provided you are comfortable on it.

I am also 5'10" and ride a medium with a 110 mm stem for XC use. I am of the longer leg/shorter torso body type (with long arms) which, I believe, tends to put you on a smaller bike when in between sizes. At least that's what I am comfortable on - slightly more upright than many people. I'm sure I could easily ride a large with a shorter stem though. My previous bike was/is a med Giant Trance with the same TT as a med Turner. I also demo'd a med Spot and felt right at home on it. Actually more at home!!

Mike

mtbr member
    I am 5'10" with 33in inseam and also with fairly long legs (I often need a setback seatpost on bikes with steep seat tube angle) and ride a large Spot with a 70mm stem. The medium would force me to run about 30mm of spacers under the stem with a 40mm riser bar.

At full height, I need about 29in from the top to the saddle to the center of the bottom bracket and if I want handlebars at the same height as the saddle, that puts me fair and square on a large with 520mm a2c fork, Thomson stem, 40mm riser bar, and 3mm spacer under the stem.

This is on a large 2008 Spot, a large 2009 Spot would fit me even better.

BBW
    mtbr member
    thanks for you responses... Is it cheaper to buy direct from Turn er???

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 5'10" as well. It sucks being between sizes.
    The kind folks at Turner suggested I go with a Large Spot (08) because I would have more options with stem lengths. I have a 70mm stem which works well.
    Had I waited a year, the 09 Spot in a large would be a perfect fit.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'm looking for the DW
    I guess I will get the large and play with stem length
    My current set up is a medium Titus ML with 100mm stem (23.25 Top tube) and I used to ride a Large superlight with a 24 TT so I guess I will be good with the large since the medium TT is shorter (23)

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I'm looking for the DW
    I guess I will get the large and play with stem length
    My current set up is a medium Titus ML with 100mm stem (23.25 Top tube) and I used to ride a Large superlight with a 24 TT so I guess I will be good with the large since the medium TT is shorter (23)
    Yep the dwl is shorter in the ETT than the old large fractionally not that I like to go by that alone, use the DT / Turner measuring system! The old larger was to big fr me, Ive ridden my friends one back to back with my medium! b8ut in dwl Spot I'm 5'11" I would go to the large
    cause I like small stems too,!

Note Dt sys taken from C! in diagram!
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/08fivespot.html

http://www.turnerbikes.com/09fivespot.html

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Yep the dwl is shorter in the ETT than the old large fractionally not that I like to go by that alone, use the DT / Turner measuring system! The old larger was to big fr me, Ive ridden my friends one back to back with my medium! b8ut in dwl Spot I'm 5'11" I would go to the large
    cause I like small stems too,!

Note Dt sys taken from C! in diagram!
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/08fivespot.html

http://www.turnerbikes.com/09fivespot.html

thanks trailadvent!!

mtbr member
    I've owned a medium and then a large '05 Spot. I'm 5 10. I noticed a huge difference in handling and climbing between the two and prefer the large. It takes a little more skill to handle the large but my average speed is faster over all terrain, climbs better and feels less cramped. The medium turns tighter, quicker. Pretty big difference. The measurement from the handlebar to the seat post is crucial in terms of your personal riding style. You may want to stay with whatever the measurement is on what you've been riding if you like that. Don't use a lay back post and stay with a shorter stem