jddist
    May 2008

5-spot size query

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new 2011 5-spot to build up as my more trail/XC oriented ride and at 5 10.5 am right in between frame sizes so I want to see what other are riding. As mentioned this will be pedal/trail/xc, but still aggressive style, bike since I have a Yeti 7 and Pivot Firebird, not sure which one I am keeping yet, for the more aggressive stuff. I have semi-long arms and a 32 inseam. I was leaning towards the large with a shorter stem. My 7 is a Med and feels great. Firebird is a large and feels a bit large, but the med felt a bit small. I came off a large 575 for 2 years and liked that better than the med 575 I replaced it with. Damn I hate being in between sizesWhat are you all riding?

mtbr member
    Large with short stem would be the ticket . . . .

on a routine expedition
    I may be in the minority, but I'm your height with a little longer inseam and I prefer the medium. I demo'd both the large and medium, and the medium with a 70mm stem felt the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

large

your actual leg length is probably much longer than the inseam you buy your pants at, so standover on large is not a problem. you want a trail bike you already have a couple bigger bikes to choose from so get the large and figure the stem length out for the type of pedaling you will do.

Some spend a lot of time on DH bikes, so I think they are influenced by that side of bike fit.
    MWH and DHChuse are two.

A Turner Bike large is nothing like a large Yeti, in fact it is almost the same as a medium Yeti 575. It is for the 'average' sized guy in North America and Europe, from 2009 to present they got a bit smaller just for riders your size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As Dave said, you should definitly go with a large.
    I was in the same situation at 5'11 last year, and couldn't test it. I asked Dave what size I should go with, and I never regret buying a large.
    Afterward my roommate at 5'9 bought a medium, I tried it but it felt way too short for pedaling, even with a longer stem.
    I have mine set up with a 50mm stem and it is a killer ride. You'll still be able to throw the bike around and play on the downhill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am 5'10.5" with similar pants inseam and have a large 2010 Spot. I had a 2008 medium Spot, which was a touch too small. The large is much better for me. My vote is for a large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 for the large, I am also 5'10" and have a large 5 spot and love it.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

Kiwi that Flew
    DT - I am 5'9.5" with long arms and 32" inseam currently have a 2010 5.Spot with 70mm stem and a 711mm bar on a medium frame. It does ride well and I am very pleased now since I upgraded from a 90mm stem/ 660mm bar, which for some reason made the bike feel shorter. Would you recommend that I get a large frame for 2012?
    Note that having used the short stem/ wide bar combo, I would not like to run a stem longer than 70mm.
    Cheers

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    183 cm (around 6 ft) rider.

M, L or XL 5-Spot 2012?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rarekin,
    Recommend a large, I'm 5ft 11inch-ish (180 cm) on a large with 70mm stem....works great!

Cheers,

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rarekin View Post
    183 cm (around 6 ft) rider.

M, L or XL 5-Spot 2012?

Thanks!
    Large for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Large for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Rarekin,
    Recommend a large, I'm 5ft 11inch-ish (180 cm) on a large with 70mm stem....works great!

Cheers,
    Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Happy trails!