mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. 5 Spot seat post diameter !

Hi, I picked up my new 5 Spot on Friday (great) but the Thomson seat post is on back order. However I'm told that the post diameter is 27.2mm. This is the first 5 Spot that the retailer has sold and he believed the post size was 27mm as the loan seat post he said I could use was very tight. I declined the offer as I had a spare seat post myself, also 27.2, this is also very tight.

How anybody else come across this problem? Should I change my order for a Thomson 27.2 seat post to a 27?

Please advise

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Both my 5-spot and DHR use a 27.2mm post

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5S
    Hi, I picked up my new 5 Spot on Friday (great) but the Thomson seat post is on back order. However I'm told that the post diameter is 27.2mm. This is the first 5 Spot that the retailer has sold and he believed the post size was 27mm as the loan seat post he said I could use was very tight. I declined the offer as I had a spare seat post myself, also 27.2, this is also very tight.

How anybody else come across this problem? Should I change my order for a Thomson 27.2 seat post to a 27?

Please advise
    The 5 Spot uses a 27.2 seatpost and a 32.0 seatclamp.

Lay off the Levers
    ...I had a spare seat post myself, also 27.2, this is also very tight.

Please advise
    Yes it's tight. Snug. Kinda goes pop,pop,pop as each rib on the face of the Th0mson slides in or out. Think of it this way, it's not going to slip on you.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    On the contrary my Thomson 27.2 rattles in the seat tube -even when clamped up. I'm not overly chuffed with this as it is definitely not right. I've tried a few other 27.2 seatposts and it's definitely the frame that's out (unless they are all like that)

stu

mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here.

The Ritchey Pro seat post I use for my 04 Burner also fits very tight in the seat tube. However, I do not think you should use a 27.0 because it may slip.

I have noticed that the diameter of the seatclamp area of my Burner is not 32mm, it is more like 33mm. Although it is only one mm difference, I am not able to use any other seat clamp but the one stock on the frame. I asked Supergo about it and they contacted Turner. Turner have noticed that there are some batches of Burners as well as 5 Spots with this manufacturing error. It does not bother me as long as the stock clamp holds up and are still available after market.

Have you notice this on your bike?

Please advise

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by WCS150
    I have noticed that the diameter of the seatclamp area of my Burner is not 32mm, it is more like 33mm. Although it is only one mm difference, I am not able to use any other seat clamp but the one stock on the frame. I asked Supergo about it and they contacted Turner. Turner have noticed that there are some batches of Burners as well as 5 Spots with this manufacturing error. It does not bother me as long as the stock clamp holds up and are still available after market.

Have you notice this on your bike?
    I noticed the same thing on my Spot when I installed my Hope QR clamp. It was not very easy to get on, and the clamp looks like it might be spread further open than orignally intended. However, it works fine, and I don't think I'm causing any damage.(?)
    Last edited by Marshall Willanholly; 06-19-2004 at 01:34 PM.