mtbr member
    Nov 2008

5.Spot Sag - how much

I've been playing around with the sag on my Spot, I've found about 30% feels good, and this is around what Turner recommends. I get full travel, but it's not as lively as I'd like. +5 psi and it goes the opposite way, so I might settle for somewhere in between.

How much sag are you running?

mtbr member
    I run ~30% sag as well. I also have a shim in the HV sleeve along with the spacer that Turner uses. The RP23 (in the stock form) is not a great shock as it tends to blow through its middle stroke really easily. The shims really help with this.

I started out with running the rebound at the minimum setting but have slowly added more and more as I ride. I now run the rebound only 4 clicks from fully closed.

I am 6'1, 200lbs on a large 2011 5-Spot.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pretty much the same as you, 200lb 6' and large 2011 5 Spot. I'm running a Monarch RT3, which is a big improvement over the Float mine came with, though I'm thinking I could also use more mid travel support, so might see
    If I can source some spacers to try out.

mtbr member
    What is the tune of your Monarch RT3? Is it the L/L tune?

planning on changing the stock RP23 on my Spot..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    M/L tune is the one I have, I know Turner suggests a L/L tune, however I find the medium rebound tune to be perfect, fast is fast, slow is slow, in the middle is in the middle. I run 3 or 4 clicks from fast on mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey Recinto View Post
    What is the tune of your Monarch RT3? Is it the L/L tune?

planning on changing the stock RP23 on my Spot..
    Rey,

If you have the budget you might want to consider the CCDBA too. Go to Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek Double Barrel Air Rear Shock and use the "VIP15" coupon code for 15% off. I found it to be a real game changer for my Spot. A few of us have them on our DW Turners, so would be more than happy to pass on my base tune.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Rey,

If you have the budget you might want to consider the CCDBA too. Go to Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek Double Barrel Air Rear Shock and use the "VIP15" coupon code for 15% off. I found it to be a real game changer for my Spot. A few of us have them on our DW Turners, so would be more than happy to pass on my base tune.

Cheers,
    Does the DB fit the 2011 Spot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Vespasianus,

I just don't know, I have a 2012 Spot, sorry. I have seen the coil on 2011 and older frames but not the air. You can use the coupon code on the coil as well. FYI, I have my CCDBA mounted with the piggyback in the stationary/lower shock mount position to avoid any possibility of contact with the down tube.

Try contacting Cane Creek to find out, Contact
    They have always picked up the phone whenever I called and have been supper responsive on email too.

Maybe some of the 2011 Spot owners have experience with the CCDBA.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...itís a great shock so I hope it can fit.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Vespasianus,

I just don't know, I have a 2012 Spot, sorry. I have seen the coil on 2011 and older frames but not the air. You can use the coupon code on the coil as well. FYI, I have my CCDBA mounted with the piggyback in the stationary/lower shock mount position to avoid any possibility of contact with the down tube.

Try contacting Cane Creek to find out, Contact
    They have always picked up the phone whenever I called and have been supper responsive on email too.

Maybe some of the 2011 Spot owners have experience with the CCDBA.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...itís a great shock so I hope it can fit.

Cheers,
    no worries. That does look like the perfect shox for the Spot. The stock RP23 is just not good enough. Don't know if I should send it to PUSH or if I should just buy something else....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rey,

Cheers,
    Mind if I ask you to quantify game changer? I have a 2012 with the Float CTD w/boost. I had an RP23 on my Remedy with the same problems everyone has with them, shimming helped. The new Float is definitely better, and packaged in the 5.spot is better still, but the CTD is....weird? Just curious what performance differences you're noticing with the CCDBA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    Mind if I ask you to quantify game changer? I have a 2012 with the Float CTD w/boost. I had an RP23 on my Remedy with the same problems everyone has with them, shimming helped. The new Float is definitely better, and packaged in the 5.spot is better still, but the CTD is....weird? Just curious what performance differences you're noticing with the CCDBA.
    dhzion,

This is my experience that makes me say CCDBA is a game changer (my 2 cents).

The FOX CTD that came with my 2012 Spot frame I called "All or Nothing". It was harsh over small bumps no matter how I would adjust it. I have roots trails in the area I ride and the CTD just felt like riding over a washboard. Then if I took a minor drop or jump (2ft or less), it would BLOW through all the travel, and even worse no matter how well I landed a 5ft plus drop/jump it would bottom out harshly.
    I tried numerous adjustments but "that dog just didn't hunt".

I bought a PUSH'ed RS Monarch Plus RT3 as a replacement; I asked them (PUSH) to make it super supple, with the best small bump sensitivity. It is much, much better on the mid stroke and on the bottom out...very composed and plusher but the small bump compliance was only slightly better than the stock FOX CTD.

So, after reading all the reviews on the CCDBA I pulled the trigger. I will admit it was a little frustrating setting it up and I did have to send it in to Suspension Experts for warranty replacement of sticking seals. But once a I got it back and the guys at Suspension Experts gave me a base tune...HOLLY COW!!
    Small bump sensitivity is OUTSTANDING...the roots now feel like soft, gentle rollers. The mid-stroke is composed and plush. I do not blow through the travel on 3ft or less drops and it very plush. Cane Creek also designed the shock to bottom out, and when I hit a 5ft plus drop I do bottom out, but it's like falling through pillows.

Lastly, CC customer service is outstanding, they designed the shock to last two years before the first maintenance period, but if you have an issue they will answer the phone, won't blow you off and will pay for any work.

So game changer:
    Best small bump compliance...like butter
    Solid mid-stroke support...does not blow through travel
    Plush bottom out...they want you to use every mm of travel
    You can tune it any way you want.

Cheers,

no worries. That does look like the perfect shox for the Spot. The stock RP23 is just not good enough. Don't know if I should send it to PUSH or if I should just buy something else....
    Vespasianus,

I would also consider contacting Suspension Experts out of Ashville NC. They can custom tune your RP23 and give you suggestions/advice on the CCDBA for the 2011 Spot. Suspension Experts Home Page
    They are the authorized repair center for CC and most of them ride DW linkage bikes. They are super dudes and are always happy to chat with you.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for responding jj. My frame is just getting broken in and starting to feel "normal". Running ~30% sag and 3 clicks of rebound in the middle trail setting it pedals wonderfully. Small bump is still pretty chattery though and some more mid stroke would be nice when it gets chunky at speed. I don't get the harsh blow through like the RP23 but I think all or nothing describes it well at this point. Setting sag and just selecting a different CTD position doesn't seem to work at all; descend mode is bottom out city and climb seems pointless with the DW. I'm not ready to dump coin into improvements anytime soon but at some point I'll have to weight investing in PUSH tunes or just invest in a "better" shock. Did you go through any of the aftermarket needle bearings or bushings to improve small bump?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    Small bump is still pretty chattery though and some more mid stroke would be nice when it gets chunky at speed....but I think all or nothing describes it well at this point. Setting sag and just selecting a different CTD position doesn't seem to work at all; descend mode is bottom out city and climb seems pointless with the DW. Did you go through any of the aftermarket needle bearings or bushings to improve small bump?

dhzion,

Concur completely with your comment on the CTD positions. I did consider using the needle bearings but in the end I thought they would only be a band-aid for sub-par preforming component. As for bushings, are you refering to the PUSH DW bushings? I have a set, still debating to install since everything is running pretty darn smooth now with the CCDBA. I have a trip to Ashville next month, maybe I should install them. Do you have them?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    dhzion,

Concur completely with your comment on the CTD positions. I did consider using the needle bearings but in the end I thought the they would only be a band-aid for sub-par preforming component. As for bushings, are you refering to the PUSH DW bushings? I have a set, still debating to install since everything is running pretty darn smooth now with the CCDBA. I have a trip to Ashville next month, maybe I should install them. Do you have them?

Cheers,
    Nahh, I haven't tried anything yet, haven't even checked my linkage for friction yet.

mtbr member
    jjkitt,

Thanks for the heads up regarding SE. Used them in the past for Manitou work and they were great. The DB sounds like a great upgrade. I will definitely look into it! Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Has anyone tried the volume reducers with any positive results? The DIY version of this mod worked wonders with my RP23 on the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The CTD comes with a largish volume reducer installed already from turner. I've tried removing it and using a smaller one. With a smaller reducer the trail mode is useable but it blows through it's travel in descend.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    The CTD comes with a largish volume reducer installed already from turner. I've tried removing it and using a smaller one. With a smaller reducer the trail mode is useable but it blows through it's travel in descend.
    Yeah, I'm having that problem with what's in there stock from Turner, which is the 0.60" reducer. Soggy midstroke in trail and bottoming in descend. According to the Fox site that's the most linear "tune" for that can. I'm not sure how that relates to rider weight though, I'm ~215 ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the coil does, so why wouldn't the air? isn't the piggy the same on both?

I am myself running a ccdba on my 2012 spot, but i have yet to test it. I'm looking forward to it though I have gotten a base tune from Malcolm at CC, but it would also be interesting to hear what you guys are running (?). As it is though i am pretty confident that with a deville up front and a ccdba taking care of the back, the brilliance of the spot frame will def improve my quality of life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule View Post
    the coil does, so why wouldn't the air? isn't the piggy the same on both?

I am myself running a ccdba on my 2012 spot, but i have yet to test it. I'm looking forward to it though I have gotten a base tune from Malcolm at CC, but it would also be interesting to hear what you guys are running (?). As it is though i am pretty confident that with a deville up front and a ccdba taking care of the back, the brilliance of the spot frame will def improve my quality of life
    klinkekule,

That's awesome you have a Deville, heard great things about them...BOS finally has a rep in the US, but I'm a little timid about pulling the trigger on a BOS. Would love to hear your pro and cons on it.

I have a CCDBA on my 2012 Spot...the guys at Suspension Experts (who ride DW link bikes) set me up with a base tune that was pretty close to spot on. I have only made some minor tweaks.

SE Recommended Base Tune:
    HSC: 0.5
    LSC: 5
    HSR: 0.5
    LSR: 5

My Base Tune:
    HSC: 0.5
    LSC: 5
    HSR: .75 (it was bucking a bit...the quarter turn mitigated it)
    LSR 6-7

Hope this helps...enjoy the ride!

Cheers,