Bite Me.

5 Spot Ride Impressions (wow)

I finally got the new Spot out for some miles this weekend. Admittedly, there's no trail clear of snow yet that could put the bike to the test, but the preliminary results are impressive. Sat. morning I did about 12 miles on frozen single track/snowshoe/snowmobile trails. The snow has gotten so firm from the freeze/thaw cycle that you can run regular rims and tires. The trails are rock solid, and high speed descents over the frozen snowmobile tread patterns really give a test of small stutter bump suspension performance. The Romic has new oil and valving, and combined with the Nixon coil the ride was totally smooth. A couple of big 3-4 foot drops (roll overs) over frozen plow debris felt great - much more capability for big compression than the Burner.

Yesterday we did about 26 miles on a combination of paved bike path, muddy 4WD roads and snowpacked 4WD roads. I did spin out on the road portions due to the missing big ring, but I won't miss it for trail riding, and I still have the Burner for more XC treks. Overall, the bike felt exactly like the Burner fit-wise (no surprise there), a little more relaxed steering and tippier when in motion, also no surprise. It all just felt really good. I loved the ability to crank down the fork to 115mm for the road sections and open it up to 145mm for trails. The Xyclone wheels just rolled by themselves. Yes, their proprietary, PITA to true, etc. but they're light and fast and have been quite strong. If I mash them, I can mount the Dual Dutys. Looks like the raves posted here were all right on. Can't wait to get to Moab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Lay off the Levers
    Nice pix of a bike in it's natural habitat... now why didn't I thik of that?
    Congrats on braking in the new scoot. I think you'll find as you get more familiar with the bike it will continue to push you to raise the bar over what you were doing on the Burner.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I am about to make the leap - later this week. I forget, what size are you on? Also what did you do differently on the Spot?
    I'd ask you what you did for settings but I am going to have a DHX-air and RS Revelation. It looks like you have a Romic(?) and maybe a Nixon.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Bite Me.
    Red - heard about the broken Burner - you'll love the Spot. Size large. The Spot is rigged for agressive trail riding. I run a 120mm stem on the Burner with RF Next 1" rise bar - the Spot has a 105mm with an Azonic Double Wall 1.5" rise., so it's more upright in the cockpit plus Avid Mechs with an 8" rotor up front (probably overkill). The Burner is full XTR (except the X9 triggers), the Spot runs X9 and XGen shifters/derailleurs and XT cranks with a RF bashring. Nixon Elite coil (just stupid cheap at $249 JensonUSA). I will probably go to a Pike or Revelation at some point. I did not go with a thru-axle - I like swapping wheels around too much. I will be running a Manitou 4-way air and keeping the Romic as a backup. Basically, it's a more budget oriented burlier build than the Burner, FSA stuff instead of Thomson. The Burner is 27.5lbs and the Spot just under 30lbs up to 32lbs with Romic and the Dual Duty wheels. I figure the Burner XR RP3 is still the ride of choice for tight high country single track, Slick Rock, racing, and long haul XC jaunts. The Spot will be for Porc Rim, the river trails in Fruita, Rabbit Valley, St. George, etc.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Mine wiil be XL frame, and I will move over most stuff from the Burner. Here's most of it
    Burner bits:
    X.9 shifters and RD
    XT FD
    SRAM chain (PC-69 I think)
    Juicy 7 hydros
    LX Crank with some new RaceFace rings. I will set it up with a big ring to get the FD right then put on a RaceFace bashguard. There are places I like the ring and places I'll need the guard.
    Cane Creek S2 headset
    ODI Rogue lock-ons
    Wheels are XT Disk hubs with 717 Disk rims (not changing them for a while)
    New stuff:
    Revelation U-Turn - standard quick release by the way. The Pike is a thru axle.
    DHX-Air
    FSA 660mm x 1.5" rise aluminum bar
    Thompson X4 110mm x 0 degree stem
    Big hoopy.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Thompson X4 110mm x 0 degree stem
    Why the zero degree rise? I think for the more upright cockpit, you would want 5-10 degrees up.

banned
    I was honestly surprised to see another review praising the Spot. Really, it was unexpected.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Why the zero degree rise? I think for the more upright cockpit, you would want 5-10 degrees up.
    The bar rise should be plenty. The oversize stem is either 0 or 10 and I thought 10 would be more than I wanted. The XL also has a 6" HT while the other sizes have a 5" HT so I will start higher. Hopefully the thought process was right!
    Big hoopy.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I was honestly surprised to see another review praising the Spot. Really, it was unexpected.
    Smart ass.

Just another Homer

I'll have

my new one (5 Spot) built by Thursday night. She's a sexy biatch.
    Last edited by Pain Freak; 03-06-2006 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith