mtbr member
    Dec 2007

5 spot review - more fancy HD camera work

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    DW Spot with a boost valve RP23? Especially 2009? I wonder why they tested it like that.
    To my knowledge Spots don't come with it, especially 2009, and I remember quite a few negative posts here on it by DT.

Edit: here is that thread

The PinkBike description of small hits ("Back to back comparisons proved that the Spot doesn't completely mute small to medium sized trail chatter in the same way the other machines are able to, but depending on what a rider is looking for that can be a great attribute. Think of the Spot's travel as "sport tuned" as opposed to a more forgiving bike that manages to squash any and all trail features.") seemed to remind me of what DT had to say about the boost valve ("It does work OK in the rolling stuff that more resembles moto trails and less rock, but get the 2010 in the rocks and it is harsh and jacks the bike around like a XC race machine. To quote VeloBum, "this is the shock I would want if I were building a race bike". There are no plans to build a full on XC race bike at this time....")

The description is pretty different than how I would describe my DW 5Spot (without a boost valve). If anything, small and medium hits are distinctively more plush than my previous Turners.
    Last edited by tald; 03-31-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A good review. Interesting that his came with a Boost Valve shock. I though DT was opposed to them and considering mine (which I just got a couple of weeks ago) came with a standard high volume RP23.

mtbr member
    maybe it's just me - but the bike appears to be too small for him

nice pics tho..

mtbr member
    what rotor is that up front? he mentions lack of power, but thats a 160mm rotor, no? wouldn't a larger rotor be the first thing someone would add if wishing for more brake?

mtbr member
    Not a terrible review and the video is nice. Trails look like fun and he sure looks fast on the Spot.

Looks like the spot is a very versatile bike. Use the BV RP23 and you can have a "racy" spot. Stick a plain jane float and you can have a "cushy" spot. Not bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nothing makes you cooler than grabbing a bunch of brake in a tight turn for the "dirt shot" effect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoid
    Nothing makes you cooler than grabbing a bunch of brake in a tight turn for the "dirt shot" effect.
    and what makes you believe he grabbed a fist full of rear brake? have you ever heard of cutties?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Nice review, too bad I can't watch the movie from the office.

I have to disagree with this:
    larger hits that approached the bike's bottom out were easily handled with a lot of composure. Even at 30% sag, which some would say is quite a bit for a 140 mm bike, I never felt like I was taxing the Turner on hard or awkward landings. Reading up on the Turner's dw.link suspension tells me that the rear suspension has a nearly linear rate in the later stages of it's travel, so why does it feel so confident on large hits? I believe that the reason for this is that our 5.Spot is sporting Fox's latest Boost Valve equipped Float RP23
    I have a coil Van R on mine which is supposed to be much more linear than an RP23, especially with the Boost Valve, and it still handles big hits and landings to flat very well. So I'd say it's the linkage and not the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Nice review, too bad I can't watch the movie from the office.

I have to disagree with this:

I have a coil Van R on mine which is supposed to be much more linear than an RP23, especially with the Boost Valve, and it still handles big hits and landings to flat very well. So I'd say it's the linkage and not the rear shock.
    Remember, you have a big fat rubber bumper on your coil shock that will always feel better at the end of the stroke than an air shock.

I would say that it is both things that give the nice ride.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Remember, you have a big fat rubber bumper on your coil shock that will always feel better at the end of the stroke than an air shock.
    Yes, you're right, but I know what bottoming out the suspension feels like because on my other bike with a similar shock I tend to do that once in a while. On that bike it feels like a hard stop at the end of the travel while on the Spot the suspension just becomes harder and harder to compress but never comes to a hard stop. And I love this feeling.