mtbr member
    Jun 2004

5 spot rear tirangle help

I need a little help here. I think there is a mysterious bend in my rear triangle cuz my rear wheel is sitting off-center when clamped down. I have a new rim, a nice dt 5.1 for a new wheel build to replace a severely beat up dt swiss 4.1,but until that is finished I'd like to make sure the rear triangle isn't bent.I'm going to investigate hub possibillities also, but in the mean time could some kind homer take some measurements for me of a 5 spot rear triangle. I would call upon a local homer, but they are few and far between up here in new england.
    A) between the rear dropouts
    B) between the rear horst link pivots.
    Pics welcome also. Thanks

No, that's not phonetic
    Both measurements are going to be 135mm, which is the standard mountain rear hub spacing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    I need a little help here. I think there is a mysterious bend in my rear triangle cuz my rear wheel is sitting off-center when clamped down. I have a new rim, a nice dt 5.1 for a new wheel build to replace a severely beat up dt swiss 4.1,but until that is finished I'd like to make sure the rear triangle isn't bent.I'm going to investigate hub possibillities also, but in the mean time could some kind homer take some measurements for me of a 5 spot rear triangle. I would call upon a local homer, but they are few and far between up here in new england.
    A) between the rear dropouts
    B) between the rear horst link pivots.
    Pics welcome also. Thanks
    Are you sure the wheel is dished properly?

~danno

FM
    luxatio erecta
    yeah, chances are your new rear wheel is not dished properly.

Some other things to look at:

with the rear wheel removed, run a string from one drop-out, all the way up around the head tube and then back down to the other drop-out. Make sure the string is tied & run the same on both sides. Then measure the distance between the string and seat-tube on both sides, your measurements should be identical.

Also check from the rear to see if the rear wheel is paralell with the seat tube. you can eyeball this from the rear, reove the rear tire and line the rim edge up with the seat tube)

If your frame passes both those ghetto-alignment tests, it should be A-OK...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Remove the chain and flip the rear wheel around in the dropouts (you man need to remove the rear brake caliper if it gets in the way). If the problem is with the dropouts or the rear triangle, the wheel will still be off to the same side as before. If it's now off to the opposite side, the wheel is dished improperly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Remove the chain and flip the rear wheel around in the dropouts (you man need to remove the rear brake caliper if it gets in the way). If the problem is with the dropouts or the rear triangle, the wheel will still be off to the same side as before. If it's now off to the opposite side, the wheel is dished improperly.
    Now that, gentlemen, wins this week's award for "Simple Yet Elegant Solution to a Problem", hands down!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Well put, I'll check it out. Thanks for everyone's input!!